The Upgrade Company is a Sham?

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
If any audio manufacturer hires this guy for their marketing videos, life as we know it will end.
Are you kidding! I want one NOW!!!

I'm still laughing. That was *great*. The actor really pulls off his lines well.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm just glad they could eliminate 'side fumbling'.

I sent that link to several people I know who work or worked for Rockwell and they thought it was pretty funny, too. If I can find his e-mail address, I'll send it to an old customer from the first stereo store I worked for- he started a small company that did automation programming when he was in college and it was bought by Rockwell, who had been his largest client. It became Rockwell Automation, mentioned in the video.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I was a bit reluctant to post this here, but I figured that people should have as much information about a company, both good and bad, as possible.

Link is here

With the amount of enthusiasm that a particular poster posts about this company on every site he frequents, created a fair amount of skepticism for me. Needless to say, I am thankful for the thread linked above, as I almost considered them (only when I first heard about them), but was quickly turned off by the aggressiveness of the poster I mentioned (which also briefly responded in the thread linked above).
Well, good thing you became suspicious. A company that doesn't allow you to look inside the box after an update, doesn't tell you what will be and was upgraded, absolutely records your phone conversations, etc, sound like a rip off company that needs to go out of business.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Such claims are not all that uncommon, and often even accepted. It is a widespread acceptance of WmAx's claim that the $2400 in gear he assembled will compare to well chosen $15k speakers that got me to buy the speakers he was/are building.

Of course, WmAx very likely will pull out the resonance and FR charts to back up this claim; but I can understand where those who haven't devoted dozens-to-hundreds of hours to forums and reviews and discussions would have trouble differentiating claims.
My 'claims', are hardly anything mysterious. In fact, I am merely stating equivalent measurable performance compared to what would normally be required to achieve that measured performance with a retail product. In addition, I only focus on measured parameters that are shown to be of substantial relevance by credible acoustics researchers such as Floyd Toole, Sean Olive and other such respected researchers using strict scientific protocol(s) to determine relevance of any particular parameter(s). However, cost is not everything, and high cost never guarantees anything, except a lighter wallet. Most speakers, regardless of cost, are CRAP. You have to pick your speakers very carefully/intelligently. :)

This 'Upgrade' company referred to in this thread appears to be a joke. If this were April, I would think it's all an elaborate joke...... :)

-Chris

Last edited:
JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Chris,

I'm not questioning that your statements about your speaker's performace are true. I've obviously invested in just that belief in going out of my way to aquire one of your designs.

What I'm saying is: to someone who doesn't know one way or another: "these speakers will perform like $15,000 speakers", looks awfully similar to "This CD player will perform like a $20,000 CD player".

I'm using you as the example that there are legitemate claims that look similar to illegitemate ones. (you are the legit one in this case) Yes, people familiar with the field can recognize the difference; for exactly the reasons you menationed... but to the neophyte, or the general consumer, it's more difficult.

I certainly in no way intended to imply an equivilance in my comparison.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I can't speak for my CD player, but I can pretty much guarantee that my power cords perform as well at $20,000 power cords. :)

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
I can't speak for my CD player, but I can pretty much guarantee that my power cords perform as well at $20,000 power cords. :)
Just dusted my cables with a piece of cloth from TUC - now I really, truly believe they perform much better than your cables - better details since the electrons are aligned now 20% better (??!!!%$^)
:)

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
My 'claims', are hardly anything mysterious.
I will say any advice I've taken from you in building my own speakers has improved them dramatically so much so my next project will employ many of your construction techniques. Constraint layer dampening, extensive bracing, rockwool/fiber insulation really do improve sound.

Z

Zaluss

Audioholic
Human saliva from a young virgin dried on your cd players internals improves sound quality. Guaranteed

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I keep thinking about going with The Upgrade Company Knockoff System - but I don't want to be an a$$wipe.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis