The Truth About Digital (Class D) Amplifiers

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
Sleestack said:
What do you mean by nothing? It almost sounds like you are saying that other than the form factor, the ICEpower module incorporates all the necessary parts for input, amplification and output. I don't think that is the case, but I really don't know. In any case, at 500W at 8ohms, 4 monoblocks are sounding nice right now.
Sleestack.....it is exactly the case with the ASP modules. All one needs to do is install it in a case, add the AC, input, and output connectors....wire it up. As Pat has also pointed out, many do exactly that, others do add components before and after the module. It is a violation of the ICEpower use agreement to make changes to the module itself.

If you open the Bel Canto....you will see 1000ASP module wired to the connectors, and that's it.

You got four monoblocks?? WOW! I am really glad they are sounding good. Are your speakers difficult to drive? I am envious!

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
silversurfer said:
Sleestack.....it is exactly the case with the ASP modules. All one needs to do is install it in a case, add the AC, input, and output connectors....wire it up. As Pat has also pointed out, many do exactly that, others do add components before and after the module. It is a violation of the ICEpower use agreement to make changes to the module itself.

If you open the Bel Canto....you will see 1000ASP module wired to the connectors, and that's it.

You got four monoblocks?? WOW! I am really glad they are sounding good. Are your speakers difficult to drive? I am envious!
Good to know. From the sound of it, it doesn't sound like much needs to be done to the modules anyway. High quality components and great sound is all I ask for.

I am ordering 4 monoblocks. although they aren't dirt cheap, they are very reasonable compared to the PASS Labs amps I was looking at. Don't know how they will sound yet, but I'm expecting good things. I really want to hear how they sound in my 2.2. channel setup compared to the BOZ 216/2200s. I actually don't need that much power at all, but I'm a glutton and those are the only monoblocks they have. Also it is always wise to have plenty of power when using the TACT gear for correction.

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
OK, I am a bit confused. Do you have them in your system now? And you are going to get four more?

If you can stomach ordering from a small company in Denmark, you can get ICEpower 1000asp monoblocks made to order for you at less than half the retail price of the Bel Canto e.One Ref1000. It won't look as nice, and you won't have a company close by for warranty. My research says the guy is reputable though.

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
silversurfer said:
OK, I am a bit confused. Do you have them in your system now? And you are going to get four more?

If you can stomach ordering from a small company in Denmark, you can get ICEpower 1000asp monoblocks made to order for you at less than half the retail price of the Bel Canto e.One Ref1000. It won't look as nice, and you won't have a company close by for warranty. My research says the guy is reputable though.

No, right now I have the TACT BOZ216/2200s. I use corner load subs that crossover at 250 Hz. For the setup I need 4 channels of amplification. I'm getting the Bel Cantos so that I can compare them to the BOZ216/2200s. I have another set of BOZ216/2200s in my 5.1 system (w 10 channels of amplification), so I thought it might be nice to use something else in my 2.2. system (i.e. the Bel Cantos).

Thanks for the offer, but I really don't mind paying for the BelCantos. I'll be getting a decent price and do care about aesthetics. Warranty is lss of an issue, but certainly a concern.

krabapple

krabapple

Banned
gene said:
And why would you assume we would NOT do a true DBT? I promise to give all of our listening panels black eyes before we begin our sessions ;)

*Funny* thing -- I just discovered the 'reputation' part of 'my account', where you gave me a 'red chicklet' and suggested "You seem to know everything. You do it."

So, are you suggesting that it's my job to do your job? Or that someone has to 'know everything' to know that blind methods are the standard for the sorts of 'objective' results that you appear to strive for in every other respect?

'Cos if so 1) let's talk contracts and 2) that's substituting petulance for substance.

krabapple

krabapple

Banned
Clint DeBoer said:
Ah, welcome to the rep system - that could have been given to you by anyone unless it was signed.
It wasn't, so I'm happy to extend my apologies to Gene for my blunder. It did seem way out of character for him. Good to know it was just some drive-by moron instead.
:p

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
Sleestack said:
No, right now I have the TACT BOZ216/2200s. I use corner load subs that crossover at 250 Hz. For the setup I need 4 channels of amplification. I'm getting the Bel Cantos so that I can compare them to the BOZ216/2200s. I have another set of BOZ216/2200s in my 5.1 system (w 10 channels of amplification), so I thought it might be nice to use something else in my 2.2. system (i.e. the Bel Cantos).

Thanks for the offer, but I really don't mind paying for the BelCantos. I'll be getting a decent price and do care about aesthetics. Warranty is lss of an issue, but certainly a concern.
Sleestack, any update on your use of the Bel Cantos?

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
silversurfer said:
Sleestack, any update on your use of the Bel Cantos?
Let me take some pics, and I'll do a short writeup. Definite keepers.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
krabapple said:
*Funny* thing -- I just discovered the 'reputation' part of 'my account', where you gave me a 'red chicklet' and suggested "You seem to know everything.
dont feel too bad about the red chicklet,some guys take this stuff way to seriously:rolleyes:

a few months back i got an anonymous red chicklet where the guy told me he was glad i live in canada,i live in detroit:)

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
Sleestack said:
Let me take some pics, and I'll do a short writeup. Definite keepers.
Please don't take pictures. It will just make me drool some more. I like the looks of the Bel Canto gear! :)

Anyways, looking forward to your writeup.

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
silversurfer said:
Please don't take pictures. It will just make me drool some more. I like the looks of the Bel Canto gear! :)

Anyways, looking forward to your writeup.
I've been too busy playing with the Esoteric P-03/D-03 combo. Talk about audio eye candy.

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
Sleestack said:
I've been too busy playing with the Esoteric P-03/D-03 combo. Talk about audio eye candy.
Nice. I like the Bel Canto look more though.

Start writing! :)

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
OK, they look nice!

But I am waiting for your thoughts on the Bel Canto amps! :)

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
silversurfer said:
OK, they look nice!

But I am waiting for your thoughts on the Bel Canto amps! :)
For now, my unconventional 2.2. channel, newly configured:

Peter Nielsen

Peter Nielsen

Audioholic Intern
I'm also very eager to hear more, especially since the ASP1000 is technically inferior to the TacT/Boz all-digital solution. (Inferior by *magnitudes* if you ask me. It probably takes a "goldear" to hear the difference though...)

I'm VERY eager to hear about this since I've planned to get a 10-channel BOZ setup with TCS myself. My alternative is a Theta Casablanca III w/ PS Audio (ASP500 based) solution. (A well known fact is that the ASP500 sounds better than the ASP1000. The charts publicised by PS Audio also clearly shows that this is the case. The ASP1000 has way too heavy filtering..)

Peter

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
Peter Nielsen said:
My alternative is a Theta Casablanca III w/ PS Audio (ASP500 based) solution. (A well known fact is that the ASP500 sounds better than the ASP1000. The charts publicised by PS Audio also clearly shows that this is the case. The ASP1000 has way too heavy filtering..)
Can you point me to where you have read this? I have read differently.

Peter Nielsen

Peter Nielsen

Audioholic Intern
silversurfer said:
Can you point me to where you have read this? I have read differently.
Most notably we have the objective fact. The ASP1000 drops almost a decibel at 20kHz. The ASP500 only drops a quarter of a decibel, and the ASP250 has an even more linear curve. PS Audio has thankfully published charts:

http://www.psaudio.com/products/gca_amplifier_specifications.asp

I'm taking about the sound quality at "normal" listening levels, say around 1W. It is true that the ASP1000 is said to have lower distorsion when you push it really hard. However, this hardly represents normal listening when it comes to the typical audiophile.

Since Sleestack is using room correctioning, it will take care of the ASP1000 non-linearity, so it is probably a non-issue in his system. However, people without correctioning or EQ, that are doing A-B comparisons may definitely experience "dull highs" in the ASP1000. Here's a review of the ASP1000 based Rotel 1092:

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=19400

This is what Paul McGowan says in the PS AUdio forum discussing the three PS Audio amps GCA-100 (ASP250) ,GCA-250 (ASP500), and GCA-500 (ASP1000):

"The output filtering on the bigger amps is more, well, intense? That's why we've said all along that if you listen to either of the bigger two amps vs. the smaller one, the 100 has a better top end - by a smidge."

Sure enough, the ASP250 based GCC-100 gets a great review in Stereophile: http://www.stereophile.com/integratedamps/106ps/

Peter

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis