The SEPARATES vs. AVR Thread

Do Separates (Preamps or Pre-pros + Amps) Sound Better Than AVRs in Direct/Bypass Modes?

• Yes, Separates sound better than AVRs

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • No, Separates and AVRs sound about the same

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • No, Separates and AVRs sound about the same when they are similar in price range

Votes: 22 26.2%

• Total voters
little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Cool idea if you don't want/need analog gear. I do still have a tt but could live without it.
I am seriously considering adding a turntable to the mix. One of the Fluance models. Just for fun, and to get a different sound once in while.
I have fond memories of hijacking my parents tt to play my records, and the sound was always damn fine to me, if I remember correctly.. :) They had one of those old Kenwood receivers and speakers from Fisher...I think.

D

David Harper

Audioholic Intern
I bought a project TT about three years ago. Set it up and went thru all the PITA stuff (cartridge install/overhang, tonearm tracking force adjustment, record cleaning, etc.) Then I bought about twenty new vinyl albums.Altogether I spent over a thousand.Listened to the TT for a little while and it did sound cool, different from digital. But after maybe two months I put it away in an upstairs closet where it remains today. IMO it just wasn't worth the time and trouble. Maybe I'll get it out again someday when I have the time to screw around with it but not any time soon. Just too much of a hassle. But that's just me.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I bought a project TT about three years ago. Set it up and went thru all the PITA stuff (cartridge install/overhang, tonearm tracking force adjustment, record cleaning, etc.) Then I bought about twenty new vinyl albums.Altogether I spent over a thousand.Listened to the TT for a little while and it did sound cool, different from digital. But after maybe two months I put it away in an upstairs closet where it remains today. IMO it just wasn't worth the time and trouble. Maybe I'll get it out again someday when I have the time to screw around with it but not any time soon. Just too much of a hassle. But that's just me.
I was thinking along those very same lines, that's why I haven't done it yet. Streaming all of my CDs (Wav files) directly from PC to receiver is so convenient and sounds good.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, the odds of me ever getting into TT/Vinyl is exactly 0.000%.

I guess it's mainly for aesthetics, nostalgia, or other sentimental reasons?

I think my Kimber Kable speaker cables serve a similar purpose. :D

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
You experienced exactly what so many folks have, that 'thought' they wanted to join the analog bandwagon. Thankfully you didn't invest a huge chunk of coin. The flip side is old farts like myself that never left the analog source domain and have sizable LP collections, take care of them and still enjoy the ritual, it's all good !

Sorry, I know we've veered of course here on the thread .......

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I was thinking along those very same lines, that's why I haven't done it yet. Streaming all of my CDs (Wav files) directly from PC to receiver is so convenient and sounds good.
Some people prefer the involvemnet that viny brings over convience. My moods vary....sometimes I prefer convenience, other times involvment. Neither is right or wrong.. just personal peference at the time . :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Some people prefer the involvemnet that viny brings over convience. My moods vary....sometimes I prefer convenience, other times involvment. Neither is right or wrong.. just personal peference at the time . :)
It's that very "involvement" that keeps me from using it much these days :) I do enjoy the nostalgia of vinyl once in a while, tho.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I hear you... I still like buying CD's just to tear the packaging open and read the inserts and play it for the first time. I hope they never stop selling them. Years ago I bought this record cleaning kit that I used religiously. And honestly I enjoyed the process. With some of us, it's about mixing old school tradition with new school technology.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I hear you... I still like buying CD's just to tear the packaging open and read the inserts and play it for the first time. I hope they never stop selling them. Years ago I bought this record cleaning kit that I used religiously. And honestly I enjoyed the process. With some of us, it's about mixing old school tradition with new school technology.
You guys are a bunch of NERDS! :D

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
agreed, and as we have stated before the mastering process produces gems in both digital and analog so there are many an LP that sound superb !

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
LOL. :)

I stream on my firestick 4K on Amazon music HD unlimited so I guess I’m even more lazy. No computers needed. :)

I like music discs too but only if multichannel or something I really like a lot.

I also buy movie UHD discs. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis