The SEPARATES vs. AVR Thread

Do Separates (Preamps or Pre-pros + Amps) Sound Better Than AVRs in Direct/Bypass Modes?

• Yes, Separates sound better than AVRs

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • No, Separates and AVRs sound about the same

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • No, Separates and AVRs sound about the same when they are similar in price range

Votes: 22 26.2%

• Total voters
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
IMO the way to go is use a good AVR as a preamp (mine is a Yammy Aventage AVR) and get a good amp (mine is a Schiit Vidar) and have the amp drive a really good speaker (mine are maggie LRS). This way you can enjoy the benefits of an AVR (DVD, bluray, 4K, streaming, cable TV, netflix, etc.) and still have audiophile sq when you want it. Preamps do not have sound quality despite all the audiophile nonsense.
Yeah, but why not use a Pre-pro separates?

That's the real argument - why not use Pre-pros which are basically AVRs without the amps.

The only real argument for AVRs is that they usually cost a lot less.

So it does make sense for people to spend $600 on an AVR.

But what doesn't make sense to most people is spending $2K-$5K on AVR when you could spend $1600-$1700 on a Pre-pro.

D

David Harper

Audioholic Intern

That's the real argument - why not use Pre-pros which are basically AVRs without the amps.

But what doesn't make sense to most people is spending $2K-$5K on AVR when you could spend $1600-$1700 on a Pre-pro.
you're probably right. I don't know anything about pre-pros. They can do everything an AVR can do? I don't think most people spend 2K to 5K on an AVR. I spent less than 1K on mine. Probably 90% spend less than 1K on an AVR.

D

David Harper

Audioholic Intern
'sound quality' ??

do you mean 'sound signature' ?
I meant that preamps do not "sound like" anything at all. If they do then they are defective in some way. A perfect preamp is one which is (audibly) nonexistent.

AVUser001

AVUser001

Full Audioholic

Didnt mean to rekindle an old debate ;-) jk, I did it on purpose :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
you're probably right. I don't know anything about pre-pros. They can do everything an AVR can do? I don't think most people spend 2K to 5K on an AVR. I spent less than 1K on mine. Probably 90% spend less than 1K on an AVR.
Pre-pros (like the Yamaha CX-A5100) does everything the RX-A3080 can do. They just use a few higher-end components and take out the amps section.

Yeah, most people probably spend no more $1.5K on AVR. This is the part that makes sense to me.

But there are people who will spend more than $2K on AVR. That's why they still make AVRs that cost $4K-$6K.

Like my Denon AVR-5308 was $5,500 MSRP when I bought it brand new back then. :eek: :D

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General

Just curious, what would you say is a good pre-pro for $1600 or $1700?

L

Ljutic

Enthusiast
When I went from an avr with outboard amp to a pre pro. There was definitely better sound and imaging. If u think the pre amp section of an avr is equal to a preamp/processor. U are wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
When I went from an avr with outboard amp to a pre pro. There was definitely better sound and imaging. If u think the pre amp section of an avr is equal to a preamp/processor. U are wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With your blanket statement, you will have trouble convincing a lot of members here about your opinion.

Imaging has to do with the recorded source and the speakers. A pre-pro does not have any effect on it.

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
With your blanket statement, you will have trouble convincing a lot of members here about your opinion.

Imaging has to do with the recorded source and the speakers. A pre-pro does not have any effect on it.
so your 'blanket statement' is the end all ?

while a preamp / line stage , whatever, in theory might not have anything to do with it(in a perfect world) don't think for one minute that all AVR's meet such criteria.

D

David Harper

Audioholic Intern
If I would have known all this I probably would have bought a pre-pro instead of an AVR but I'm now at a point where my system is good enough (Yammy Aventage AVR, Schiit Vidar amp, Maggie LRS speakers) that I don't think I want to spend any more money. Yamaha claims the Aventage line of AVR's feature audiophile grade component parts but that may be marketing. Almost forgot; also an OPPO 203 UDP and a B&W 400 watt powered sub.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If I would have known all this I probably would have bought a pre-pro instead of an AVR but I'm now at a point where my system is good enough (Yammy Aventage AVR, Schiit Vidar amp, Maggie LRS speakers) that I don't think I want to spend any more money. Yamaha claims the Aventage line of AVR's feature audiophile grade component parts but that may be marketing.
I think your AVR does have audiophile grade components. And many people feel it will sound as good as the pre-pro (AVP).

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Which part of "u are wrong" don't you understand?

I'd like to follow that up with Eric Clapton's "you been told, so maybe it's time that you learned".

Kidding of course. Keep in mind that Ljutic has chosen that post to be his one and only post so far. I can't wait to see more.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
If I would have known all this I probably would have bought a pre-pro instead of an AVR but I'm now at a point where my system is good enough (Yammy Aventage AVR, Schiit Vidar amp, Maggie LRS speakers) that I don't think I want to spend any more money. Yamaha claims the Aventage line of AVR's feature audiophile grade component parts but that may be marketing. Almost forgot; also an OPPO 203 UDP and a B&W 400 watt powered sub.
umm yeah bro you got a above Average set up, nice!;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
LOL "audiophile" grade components.....these days that's more likely to be some silly marketing crap like cables....an audiophile is a person in any case, gear isn't "audiophile" anything (it may be owned by an "audiophile")....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis