The SEPARATES vs. AVR Thread

Do Separates (Preamps or Pre-pros + Amps) Sound Better Than AVRs in Direct/Bypass Modes?

• Yes, Separates sound better than AVRs

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • No, Separates and AVRs sound about the same

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • No, Separates and AVRs sound about the same when they are similar in price range

Votes: 22 26.2%

• Total voters
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The reason for buying a Ferrari has FAR FAR FAR less to do with performance than the rest of the car. If you need an analogy, why buy an original Van Gogh when you can buy a computer generated copy, accurate to the nano, for next to nothing? Because one is a Van Gogh and one isn’t. To each his own.

IMO, the reason you buy a Ferrari is BECAUSE YOU CAN!!! FTW!!!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I know that. When I see people buying $1000 bottle of wine I wonder how much better is over a $60.00 one. I wonder if the grapes are grown in the Garden of Eden or something.
I wouldn't even pay over $15 for a bottle of wine. :D

It depends on our interests.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
IMO, the reason you buy a Ferrari is BECAUSE YOU CAN!!! FTW!!!
And another reason is because, getting from A to B is about SOOOOOOO much more than simply getting from A to B. This of course depends on perspective. I am a car guy, and I love driving. My wife on the other hand? She doesn’t care so much. “Just get me there.” Lol

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
The reason for buying a Ferrari has FAR FAR FAR less to do with performance than the rest of the car. If you need an analogy, why buy an original Van Gogh when you can buy a computer generated copy, accurate to the nano, for next to nothing? Because one is a Van Gogh and one isn’t. To each his own.

I understand the core reason why people by those cars and the reason why people by $5,000 exotic erotic speaker cables.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I know that. When I see people buying $1000 bottle of wine I wonder how much better is over a $60.00 one. I wonder if the grapes are grown in the Garden of Eden or something.
LOL, I'm jealous of your youth, enjoy it while you still have it for 'we grow too soon old and too late smart' !

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thankfully you know something about audio cause you obviously know little about wine, but that's OK .........
Yeah, wines and beers all taste the same to me and they can all inebriate the same to me (armor suit and helmet on). :D

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, wines and beers all taste the same to me and they can all inebriate the same to me (armor suit and helmet on). :D
interesting, that explains why you believe there is little to no difference between AVR's and high end separates , your senses are all screwed up ! LOL, just bustin' your balls ...........

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
You really don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You are correct!
I don’t know where your windfall came from, but I say unless your squandering it, buy what you want. A55 just likes bringing rain to the parade.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
interesting, that explains why you believe there is little to no difference between AVR's and high end separates , your senses are all screwed up ! LOL, just bustin' your balls ...........
Actually I still own separates and have always owned Separates since I started this hobby 30 years ago. ;)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I'm with ya there. After 3 or 4 they all start tasting the same to me and after 10 or 12 it no longer matters, lol.
I do buy a lot of beer, but I don’t think I drink more than 5 that often. LOL :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I do buy a lot of beer, but I don’t think I drink more than 5 that often. LOL :)
I was a party animal in my younger years, lol. I don't drink anymore tho. I got tired of the hangovers when I got into my 40's and hung it up.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I was a party animal in my younger years, lol. I don't drink anymore tho. I got tired of the hangovers when I got into my 40's and hung it up.
I was a binge drinker at one point too. I was told by a counselor once that 15 drinks was my danger zone. LOL. :)

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I think AVRs generally suck, I have no interest in surround sound, and there's no way I'll ever have another one in any of my systems.
Pogre reacted to this post, in which I must confess I lied. My HT system now includes a Marantz AVR functioning as a pre-pro. So much for "no way".

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis