The popular Outlaw M2200 mono block power amp

How likely are you to buy this Monoblock?

• 100%

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • 50%

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • 0% - I have no need for any more amps

Votes: 16 26.7%
  • 0% - I might change amps, but not these amps

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • 0% - I want to match my amps with Pre-pro and I don’t own an Outlaw Pre-Pro

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • What is a monoblock???

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Already have one or more

Votes: 13 21.7%

• Total voters
John Galt

John Galt

Junior Audioholic
ASR review:

For details please follow the links:
audiosciencereview_AV7705
audiosciencereview_AVR-X3500H

AV7705 pre-out at 4 V, that means 2 V if RCA unbalanced were used:

View attachment 34000

Compared that to the AVR-X3500H:

Again, it was at 2 V unbalanced so it should be compared to the AV7705's 4V balanced/XLR:

View attachment 33999

At the rated 1.2 V, things improved for both the AV7705 and AVR-X3500H:

View attachment 34001

View attachment 34002

Amir only showed the results for 1 V but he commented that it was the same at 1.2 V

So you can see that at the lower voltage, the AVR-X3500H actually did better than the AV7705.

Now, frequency response:

View attachment 34004

View attachment 34003
@PENG Thank you for the analysis and comparison. I’ve read that 3500 review multiple times and I just don’t have the depth of knowledge to make much sense of the charts. Your breakdown really helps.

...and I’m reading it again, and getting more out of it yet again as I’ve learned some since the first few times, and I’m really noticing and appreciating your posts more than before. Great stuff.

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
@PENG Thank you for the analysis and comparison. I’ve read that 3500 review multiple times and I just don’t have the depth of knowledge to make much sense of the charts. Your breakdown really helps.
I have the 3500 as preamp feeding this amp
No issues at all pushing Salk Sound Song Encore to their limit.

John Galt

John Galt

Junior Audioholic
How do you have that QSC connected to the 3500, RCA to 1/4”?

Last edited:
Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
Nice review, now I am curious how the Emo PA-1 compares to the Outlaw since it was mentioned.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I can see that by taking a quick look of the specs, the DCA 1622 has amazing sensitivity, made in heaven for pairing with AVRs.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
How do you have that QSC connected to the 3500, RCA to 1/4”?
RCA to XLR with no issues whatsoever. Used the neutrik speaker connections to the speakers. There is a bare wire option but it isnt clearly visible in the pictures. Full rated power is achieved with 1.2Vrms 300w/500w respectively.There are dip switches for setting different Filters like if you run full range mains and need the protection for example. At 22lbs it's easy to move or rack.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Very cool. Glad to see the 2200 reviewed so positively.

Thanks again to @KEW for making this possible!!! Than-KEW!
;)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay, so I wasn't far off, from the review/measurements:

Output: 220 W/315 W measured...vs 200 W/300 W specs. Dynamic peaks: 385.7/507.1 W into 4 ohms at 1% THD+N.

SNR: 86.423 at 5 W output, full bandwidth, 104.836 dB measured at full output.

Edit: forgot, should always post link to the quoted review:

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Very cool. Glad to see the 2200 reviewed so positively.

Thanks again to @KEW for making this possible!!! Than-KEW!
;)
Give most of the love to Amir.
I paid $68 to ship it to him (I guess it was so much because I am in GA and he is in Washington - it is only 23 pounds)!
He does the testing and pays the return shipping.
It kind of sucks to spend $140 on shipping an amp back and forth when (if you buy 3) you can get one shipped anywhere for $268, but since you do need to buy three, I could not figure any way to let someone end up with a purchased amp at an even better discount!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Give most of the love to Amir.
I paid $68 to ship it to him (I guess it was so much because I am in GA and he is in Washington - it is only 23 pounds)!
He does the testing and pays the return shipping.
It kind of sucks to spend $140 on shipping an amp back and forth when (if you buy 3) you can get one shipped anywhere for $268, but since you do need to buy three, I could not figure any way to let someone end up with a purchased amp at an even better discount!
Agreed, time to donate again but not you, you have done much more already!!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I have heard the M2200 driving my Revel Salon2s and my brother-in-laws Revel F206s.
I found them to sound quite good but when driving the F206's into the mid 80'dB range they sounded a bit harsh.

It would be nice to have a full measurements through the class-G switching level to evaluate the impact of this design.
If willing to send one, I suspect the Amir at AVScienceReview would measure it. Just a thought.

- Rich
Hey Rich, wanted to call your attention to the measurements being completed!
Any speculation on why the 2200 sounded harsh?
Do the measurements provide any clues (I know you are more savvy with them than I)?
Do you think you had a defective unit (or two?)?
Do you think that perhaps the F206's are a heavier load than you previously believed (such that you were pushing past this amps capabilities)?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

...and I’m reading it again, and getting more out of it yet again as I’ve learned some since the first few times, and I’m really noticing and appreciating your posts more than before. Great stuff.
Thank you for the kind words. If there are any parts of the review you have trouble understanding, let me know and I will try my best to help. That is, if I understand it myself. There are always others who may be able to help so it is always good to ask, instead of assume..

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Just a thought, if someone else is prepared to send a popular product to ASR, he/she should ask those interested in measurements to share the shipping costs. For example, if someone would send him an X4400/4500H, SR6012/13, RX-A3060/70/80 etc....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Boy, I'd be tempted to send my monolith in if 1) it weren't so frigging heavy. 2) Gene did measure a Monolith 2 so measurements exist, tho I am still curious to see how a 5 or 7 fares comparitively.

Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
@KEW would think there is a USPS flat rate priority box that would fit that Outlaw nicely, and would have been about $16. I frequently use them for vintage shifter rebuilds I send all over the world.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Boy, I'd be tempted to send my monolith in if 1) it weren't so frigging heavy. 2) Gene did measure a Monolith 2 so measurements exist, tho I am still curious to see how a 5 or 7 fares comparitively.
I wouldn't waste money on sending it, Gene's review/measurements should cover the 5 and 7. ACD output is not that important anyway for real world use and we all know that by now right? Also, S&V's measurements for the 7 were useful enough too as supplement to Gene's. Did you read that one?

Also no point to send your Marantz, now that Amir has measured the AV7705 and AVR-X3500H, between the two we can predict the measurements for the likes of SR6011/12/13/14 with reasonable accuracy and confidence.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
@Kewl would think there is a USPS flat rate priority box that would fit that Outlaw nicely, and would have been about $16. I frequently use them for vintage shifter rebuilds I send all over the world.
I appreciate the thought. I do need to always keep the flat rate boxes in mind!
In this case, I don't think there is a flat-rate box that would fit the 2200 with the original packaging and box (it is impressively large for such a small amp). And, I would not want to risk deviation from the packaging that Outlaw has established to work for a round trip!

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The more I think about this, the more I realize what a service Amir is providing!
His website doesn't have advertising (which is reassuring from an "independent lab" perspective).
I'm not sure if he gets anything out of web-traffic without ads, so don't know if there is any income to offset his shipping costs!
In any case, I am more than happy to donate the shipping cost and use of the amp to have access to the measurements he provides and would encourage anyone who finds his site useful to donate $5 or $10 (or whatever)!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis