The Philharmonic Audio BMR, Refreshed!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Beautiful speakers. I love the finish, and I really love the look of that white driver. Really makes it pop. I'd run those nekked for sure.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
I really like the looks of the new BMRs. I was worried they might be too red based on the photos I had seen, but they are very nice in real life. In a serendipitous twist, I had remodeled with wood trim having a reddish stain before the BMRs became available. It looks like it was planned.

But, realistically, the sound is much more important than the appearance, and I’m very impressed. I had high expectations which normally tends to lead to some dissatisfaction for me, but that was not the case with the BMRs, which actually exceeded my expectations.

Yeah, I know, I sound like a slobbering fan boy again but these speakers have earned the “slobbering fan boy” status from me!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
… But, realistically, the sound is much more important than the appearance, and I’m very impressed. I had high expectations which normally tends to lead to some dissatisfaction for me, but that was not the case wYeah, I know, I sound like a slobbering fan boy again but these speakers have earned the “slobbering fan boy” status from me!
Welcome to the club! I suggest ordering an audiophile-grade drool cup ;).

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
I really like the looks of the new BMRs. I was worried they might be too red based on the photos I had seen, but they are very nice in real life. In a serendipitous twist, I had remodeled with wood trim having a reddish stain before the BMRs became available. It looks like it was planned.

But, realistically, the sound is much more important than the appearance, and I’m very impressed. I had high expectations which normally tends to lead to some dissatisfaction for me, but that was not the case with the BMRs, which actually exceeded my expectations.

Yeah, I know, I sound like a slobbering fan boy again but these speakers have earned the “slobbering fan boy” status from me!
It's easy to become a Dennis Murphy fan boy.. He's overlooked as a genius in the trade, so some of us have the advantage of knowing his work.. And the guy is nice , genuinely so in my estimation.. So color me a fan boy as well.. One that happily tries to enlighten other hobbyists as to what they can get at very reasonable $$$...

D

D Murphy

Full Audioholic
I just put up new pages for the BMR Tower and the Ceramic Mini Monitor on my website: philharmonicaudio.com

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I just put up new pages for the BMR Tower and the Ceramic Mini Monitor on my website: philharmonicaudio.com
Hey Dennis, I sit almost 15 feet from my front speakers. Would I run into any problems if I want to hit reference level peaks from that distance with the BMR towers? Most of my listening is between 75-85 dB from my seat for music, but I do occasionally crank it up once in a while and will hit ~95 dB with maybe short 5 dB peaks for a single song. Again, that's not my usual listening volume, just every once in a while. I try to be a lot more careful with my hearing since my drumming days, but can't resist a spirited session every once in a while.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Hey Dennis, I sit almost 15 feet from my front speakers. Would I run into any problems if I want to hit reference level peaks from that distance with the BMR towers? Most of my listening is between 75-85 dB from my seat for music, but I do occasionally crank it up once in a while and will hit ~95 dB with maybe short 5 dB peaks for a single song. Again, that's not my usual listening volume, just every once in a while. I try to be a lot more careful with my hearing since my drumming days, but can't resist a spirited session every once in a while.
You could also sit closer to your front speakers. :D

I'll show myself out the door.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Wow is right. That's gorgeous and probably sounds as good as it looks.
(Edit) What? $3,500 a pair? I expected a much higher retail. I wonder what shipping to Canada would be on those babies? My seating is even closer than Pogre's though at about 9.5 feet.

Last edited:
D

D Murphy

Full Audioholic
I sit about that far away and the towers are certainly capable of annoying me. The woofer has much more power handling than the regular BMR driver, and the double mids will also stand up to your evil ways. You might be able to elicit .8% THD out of the tweeter if you really cranked, but you would never hear it.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I sit about that far away and the towers are certainly capable of annoying me. The woofer has much more power handling than the regular BMR driver, and the double mids will also stand up to your evil ways. You might be able to elicit .8% THD out of the tweeter if you really cranked, but you would never hear it.
I'm just laughing! Thank you Dennis for clarifying, as I know others have been curious about what these puppies can do. ;)
For myself, I know I have pushed about 85dB in my smaller room with no worries, and a few times have seen my SPL meter tick up a few notches higher. I have yet to hear strange sounds out of any of the Philharmonic gear.

Great work, Dennis. Love the new-new Mini 2, too! ;) :p

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
...your evil ways.
Would Friend @Pogre still be evil if it was only Viola music he listened to that loud?
Rotfl GIF - Find on GIFER

BTW, Dennis, do you enjoy Hindemith? I've always been fond of the Kashkashian recordings of his Viola Sonatas. Curious if you've listened to them and what your thoughts are her performance. :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The woofer has much more power handling than the regular BMR driver, and the double mids will also stand up to your evil ways.
tenor (6)_copy_183x183.jpg

Thanks Dennis. My wheels are turnin' right now. Those are absolutely gorgeous speakers and I've been itching to hear some of your work. I may end up putting an order in for a pair if I can finagle it. Is this a limited time thing or do you plan on building these for a while?
Would Friend @Pogre still be evil if it was only Viola music he listened to that loud?
Harp music, TYVM.

:p

This is one I love to crank up. It's a drum solo, tho the first half is with electronic pads. It really kicks into gear at the halfway point. I know drums and how they sound. When I crank this one up it almost sounds like there's a kit in the room with me.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
This is one I love to crank up. It's a drum solo, tho the first half is with electronic pads. It really kicks into gear at the halfway point. I know drums and how they sound. When I crank this one up it almost sounds like there's a kit in the room with me.

I made the wife sit in the sweet spot and listen to this last week. I told her to listen to how wide the soundstage is on this song. She said "At first, I thought you only had the left and right speakers on, but then I heard it in the center too." The center was not on. :D

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I made the wife sit in the sweet spot and listen to this last week. I told her to listen to how wide the soundstage is on this song. She said "At first, I thought you only had the left and right speakers on, but then I heard it in the center too." The center was not on. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis