The Philharmonic Audio BMR, Refreshed!

I

internova1

Audiophyte
BMR Tower Computer Rendering with Raal, BMR, Scanspeak Revelator 8" woofer and a 3" precision port.

ST1.jpg
ST2.jpg
ST3.jpg
ST4.jpg
ST5.jpg

D

D Murphy

Full Audioholic
No 5" mid driver?
That would kind of defeat the purpose of the design, which is to preserve the broad horizontal dispersion of the BMR monitor but with added bass extension (about 10 Hz more). Doubling up on the BMR mids also provides more power handling to better match the capabilities of the 8" Revelator.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Announcing the Second Philharmonic Audio BMR Roadshow.

See this thread

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Announcing the second BMR Roadshow.

Dennis Murphy has decided to put the new BMR speakers with the ceramic woofer and furniture-grade cabinets through the same paces as was done before in the first BMR Roadshow. After all, there's no other way for people to sample the new BMR now that the virus has pretty much ruled out visits to existing owners' houses.

The rules (such as they are) will be the same as with the first Roadshow. All you have to do is sign up for an audition, provide shipping information, listen to them at your earliest convenience, and then pack them back up for a Fed Ex pickup that Dennis will arrange. Dennis will take care of the labels and pay for all of the shipping. If you wish to post comments, fine. If not, fine.

In order to make the project manageable from a cost and time standpoint, participants will be limited to the Continental U.S. East of the Mississippi. If you're interested, just write Dennis Murphy at info@philharmonicaudio.com. Please make all communications via email, as that leaves a more easily accessed record of all sign ups. Any requests made directly on this thread, or PMs through this forum, will not be noticed or scheduled.
Awesome! I’ve been hearing chatter about this. Very exciting, indeed.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
It was just announced, so it's not too late put your name & address on the list.

The last I heard, Florida was still in the Continental US, east of the Mississippi ;).
Just messing with him. Already talked to Dennis thanks :)

T

trollbearpig

Audiophyte
Ohhh man those BMR towers look niceee. Now the decision...get BMR bookshelves...or wait for the towers lolol. Say if you have subwoofers with an 80hz crossover for example would that mean which ever woofer in the tower that handles the low end would go unused?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Ohhh man those BMR towers look niceee. Now the decision...get BMR bookshelves...or wait for the towers lolol. Say if you have subwoofers with an 80hz crossover for example would that mean which ever woofer in the tower that handles the low end would go unused?
No. That’s not how a crossover works. It’s a gentle slope or roll-off. So crossing at 80 likely means the speaker will be 12dB down by 40, and another 12dB down by 20Hz.
This is designed to blend the sounds and protect the Driver.

T

trollbearpig

Audiophyte
Philharmonic Phil 3 (L/R), BMR (C), BMR (SL/SR), Mini-Phil (RL/RR), Outlaw X-13
Ohh interesting thanks for the info. I always thought when you set a crossover in the AVR it essentially means "Only send frequencies above x freq level to the speakers and below x to the subwoofer."

Just saw your system btw. :0 That seems like a dream setup, how have you liked the phil 3s?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
If I understand your question, you've assumed the two woofers in the BMR towers operate separately with different frequency ranges. I think both those woofers get signals in the same frequency range. Any crossover to an external subwoofer would equally affect both woofers. They are probably running in parallel to each other.

@D Murphy – Please correct me if this is wrong.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Ohh interesting thanks for the info. I always thought when you set a crossover in the AVR it essentially means "Only send frequencies above x freq level to the speakers and below x to the subwoofer."

Just saw your system btw. :0 That seems like a dream setup, how have you liked the phil 3s?
The default way to define a XO point is by the "corner frequency", which is the point at which the signal is -3dB.

What you are suggesting, "Only send frequencies above x freq level to the speakers and below x to the subwoofer." is what would be termed a "brick wall filter".

T

trollbearpig

Audiophyte
If I understand your question, you've assumed the two woofers in the BMR towers operate separately with different frequency ranges. I think both those woofers get signals in the same frequency range. Any crossover to an external subwoofer would equally affect both woofers. They are probably running in parallel to each other.

@D Murphy – Please correct me if this is wrong.
Yes those were my assumptions. I'm running subs right now with the Sierra-2s and I know 2 way bookshelf speakers usually see some big benefits from adding subs as it's it takes the load off the woofer which was handling both the mids and lower frequencies. Towers I'm sure will still see some benefits as nothing is going to handle bass better than a pair of dedicated audiophile grade subwoofers...but I just wanted to make sure throwing subs with a tower wouldn't just leave 1 woofer in the tower sitting there lifeless haha.

Edit: I'm getting ahead of myself anyway...already fantasizing what a pair of BMR towers would sound like in my space lmao.

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
I was hoping our good friend would pop in and show off the goods... I know a few people have already been talking about @D Murphy 's new gear... But this is too cool to not show off for those of us that like shiny cabinets that make pertty sounds. :p

New photos here:

@shadyJ 's review from early 2019

More details here:

Dennis, the new stuff is looking great! Can't wait to see what else you have in store for us! :)
What strikes me is that this post was allowed as it links to another audio site. I don't know of any other sites that allow this.
Interesting. I'll head over to AVS.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis