The Paradigm Speaker Owners Thread

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
It’s not on the floor. It’s in shelf just below the beware
We're just offering some friendly advice to help you get the most out of your investment. That's some serious gear you picked up and great speakers. Your center speaker will match your main speakers better, though, if you can get the tweeters closer to the same height. Ideally you would want the center directly above or below the TV, but if you can't or don't want to wall mount the TV, I would at least move the center up one shelf and if possible angle it upwards to your seating position. The way it is in the photo, as dialogue moves from L to C to R it will likely change in tone because the center's tweeter is aimed at your legs while the mains are at ear level. You might be pleasantly surprised by the difference.

Y

Yogi52

Audiophyte
I appreciate your suggestions but unfortunately the BDI media station we have cannot hold a heavy speaker in the middle shelve. I can, however, use a wedge to force the speaker to be a little more angled up. Wife doesn’t want a different media piece either

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I appreciate your suggestions but unfortunately the BDI media station we have cannot hold a heavy speaker in the middle shelve. I can, however, use a wedge to force the speaker to be a little more angled up. Wife doesn’t want a different media piece either
If those are floating glass shelves I can see that being an issue, especially with the brass clocks on the shelf. We often have to make compromises with our setups. I can't fit large towers in my theatre room because the media centre only leaves about 14" of space on either side. It's Menonite crafted solid maple and my wife wouldn't been keen on a different piece either. :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Try switching between phantom mode and your center channel. I'll bet phantom is an improvement. I know it's not always possible, but ideally your tweets should all be roughly ear height and all on the same plane. If your only choice is to hamstring a speaker with rough placement like that you could be better off just not having one. If you can't, or are unwilling to optimize speaker placement then phantom mode might actually be the better choice for better sound quality in this instance.

L

latapx

Audioholic Intern
Good afternoon folks! I relatively new here but wanted to chime in on "Paradigm Owners" as I have them all over! Ordered and received my 100Fs and my 90C a few months ago in Walnut and am totally in love with them. I've been an audio nut for a LONG time but never had the means to "splurge"...well, hard work pays off and I'm slowly building a home theatre system that I'm going to be proud of. Contents are:

Anthem AVM60
Anthem MCA50
Paradigm 100F
Paradigm 90C
Klipsch CDT-3800 in ceiling
Velodyne SPL-12 - SVS PB4000 will be here on Thursday

My main towers were Klipsch RF-3s that I've had for over 15 years. They were great...very efficient...very dynamic. But, certain things couldn't be played through them because they were outright harsh. If you were not ON AXIS, the sound was totally different. The Founders provide a clarity that I haven't heard in my home (still haven't run ARC) revealing details I didn't know existed. Frequency response on and off axis is worlds better than before! But, not only are these loudspeakers clear, they can handle power and can seriously go full tilt and shake the room to bits. I was doing some listening the other day (family was out of the house!) and only had my main speakers on. I kept turning up the volume and literally had to get up to make sure the sub was off. It was. The low end emanating from these speakers was profound to the point I was convinced the sub was on. I may be leaving the sub off for 2 channel listening...we will see what happens when the PB4000 comes in. I have a picture of my room below.

I've read through some comments above, particularly that the Founders don't like to be toed in a lot. I have mine toed in just outside of the main listening position. Perhaps I'll try to run them less toed in and see how it goes. At this time, I'm still playing with settings, moving things around until I get to a good baseline to then run ARC. We will see how it goes!

So that is inside. For the back yard I'm using Zone 2 from the AVM60 through a miniDSP 2x4HD and then into a PVA4 driving (4) Stylus 470 outdoor speakers to provide nice even coverage in the yard...or to have a party!

Attachments

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Congrats on the Paradigms. I'm still waiting for a local dealer to get some demo models although the 80F is more in my price range. I bet that setup sounds great.

L

latapx

Audioholic Intern
Congrats on the Paradigms. I'm still waiting for a local dealer to get some demo models although the 80F is more in my price range. I bet that setup sounds great.
I was fortunate that a local dealer has the 120H as a demo model. I sat and listened for a while and they truly were outstanding...although unfair. My home has windows, tile floors, and plain walls. Obviously, this room was fully carpeted and treated so its a TOTALLY different world. I would have LOVED the 120H, but I love being married more! Even in my "harsh" untreated room, these things are really amazing (I'm not a fan of overly bright speakers like B&W) very smooth and seem to be (to my ear) very linear throughout their response. Like I mentioned, they can be subtle and give you every detail...or bring the house down and never sound like they are skipping a beat.

As a side bonus, they are gorgeous!!

Attachments

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
That is totally an improvement...now just try and aim the speaker at ear level by tilting the front of the speaker up. ENJOY!
He's limited by the weight he can put on the glass shelf but a black foam wedge would do nicely and hopefully look ok.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
It's still an improvement. :) Hope you're enjoying the new system.
What is the possibility of wall mounting the TV? If you put the TV a bit higher and wall mount, you could put the speaker on top. You might even be able to fit your Anthem stuff in the shelves and give you more room to move your speakers further apart. (not sure about window)

L

latapx

Audioholic Intern
What is the possibility of wall mounting the TV? If you put the TV a bit higher and wall mount, you could put the speaker on top. You might even be able to fit your Anthem stuff in the shelves and give you more room to move your speakers further apart. (not sure about window)
The Anthem gear will be HEAVY and likely not work on a glass shelf.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
The Anthem gear will be HEAVY and likely not work on a glass shelf.
I think I mentioned wall mounting the TV earlier but got the impression that this was not something the op was considering. He mentioned that replacing the glass shelves was not an option, so this may be the best compromise.

K

keepr88

Junior Audioholic
As a side bonus, they are gorgeous!!
I was able to see them in the black wood as well and no matter the finish they look 1000 times better in real life than any of the pics they have on paradigms website.

R

rockluc

Audiophyte
Loving my Studio setup still. Especially on days like this when I can really crank it.
65BFD8C9-EA93-4900-9533-3E67E9B04FE1.jpeg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis