The one? Ultra Blue Ray Player

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
It looks like the Sony UBP-X800M2 adds Dolby Vision, Hybrid Log Gamma and Bluetooth 4.1.

There were customer reports the UBP-X800 had freeze issues but it sounds like yours works fine?

M

MTVhike

Audioholic Intern
Yes, but I haven't used it to watch long movies, etc. It seems that many of the problems relate to overheating.

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
I was thinking about buying a new player but does a expensive player really make that much of a difference? 4K players support Netflix but no player supports Netflix Atmos so I don’t need streaming just 4K and 3D. And if the receiver is doing the work what is the benefit of a expensive player?

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Why it looks bad for Netflix? tell more please.
Been years since I had it hooked up now..
I’ve seen given up use a roku now for streaming, my tv and that Blu-ray struggled and Netflix just wasn’t clear enough. Link to the bad tv thread ...

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Been years since I had it hooked up now..
I’ve seen given up use a roku now for streaming, my tv and that Blu-ray struggled and Netflix just wasn’t clear enough. Link to the bad tv thread ...
I have Sonys X700 the one right under your 800 mine has been great for Netflix.But I went through 4 of them till I hit one that wouldn't freeze up. Now with that said I do have my settings for streaming Netflix's to 4k most of the time if I set it to standard then yeah sucks lots of banding think washed out blacks. But than my 4Ktv is a bottom feeder also cheap really cheap Vizio V 55". May you live long and prosper.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I have a Sony UBP-X800, the 1st 4K model they produced and streaming from Netflix has never been an issue with me. What it does do however is lose its internet settings if the player hasnt been used after a couple of hours. Its a PITA to always have to reconnect before streaming.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I have a Sony UBP-X800, the 1st 4K model they produced and streaming from Netflix has never been an issue with me. What it does do however is lose its internet settings if the player hasnt been used after a couple of hours. Its a PITA to always have to reconnect before streaming.
Thats what I came up with, the freezing up thing, I found two, my internet would drop out causing it to freeze up. Plus Cox would dropout also. I noticed that when streaming music from my AVR it would drop out so I called into Cox they confirmed that indeed I was having dropouts in my area. So those other X700 Sony 4K players may not have been defective and or they where who knows.

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
Did you try a Sony? It's no use spending more if you're not to get a better video and audio performance.
Keep in mind that Sony invented the CD format and was also involved with other manufacturers for the release of the Blu-ray and most likely the 4K UHD format.
The UDP820 offers better picture and sound then the Sony players(700&800 anyway). Many have compared and/or owned both to compare directly. The Sony's also seam to have much more issues with freezing and overheating. Also, you get a ton more features with the higher end players and much better build quality so, it is not like one is always wasting their money going with a better player.

Sony, does nothing but try and divide the industry for their own gain. They did with Betamax, they did it with Mini-Disc, they did it with Blu-ray, and now they are doing it with 3D audio. They have also done so many other shady things over the years imo. Rewarding them for their efforts is not my favorite way to spend my money personally.

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
The UDP820 offers better picture and sound then the Sony players(700&800 anyway). Many have compared and/or owned both to compare directly. The Sony's also seam to have much more issues with freezing and overheating. Also, you get a ton more features with the higher end players and much better build quality so, it is not like one is always wasting their money going with a better player.

Sony, does nothing but try and divide the industry for their own gain. They did with Betamax, they did it with Mini-Disc, they did it with Blu-ray, and now they are doing it with 3D audio. They have also done so many other shady things over the years imo. Rewarding them for their efforts is not my favorite way to spend my money personally.
At 3-4 times the cost of a Sony, it's better if it has a better performance. But it doesn't play SACDs or DVD-A dics. I know Panasonic usually manufacture a very dependable product. However, I am satisfied with the X800 player. It's good enough for my old ears and I find the picture quality adequate as do a lot of members on this site.

As for Sony's management policy, I entirely agree with you.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I forgave Sony a long time ago. PS1,PS2, PSP, PS3, PS VITA. All were great. I had regular Sony Blu-ray players too.

I had experienced the freezing on 4K discs and even Blu-ray Discs on x800 and purchased x800m2 to try to solve it but saw same behavior. However, after @VMPS-TIII clued me in on adding the inch lift for airflow under the x800m2, my playback has been flawless for discs. I mostly watch 4K UHD and Blu-ray and listen to CD, SACD, DVD-Audio, and occasionally DVD and even Dual Disc or DTS music discs. I’ve probably run hundreds of discs since lifting it about an inch and a half with no issues. It’s not the hot time of the year of course. We get about 3 weeks of summer in August in Seattle so will find out then. LOL :)

I do understand the annoyance of the Dolby Vision being manual on x800m2 and x700, but my TV is a 2017 and it is only HDR10, not Dolby Vision. The Panasonic player has this as automatic so that’s great if you’re doing Dolby Vision.

The X800m2 is not a streamer. I have the 2019 Fire cube 4K and the AppleTV 4K for that. I really never used the Sony for Netflix so any freezing for Netflix l, I can’t really say much about it other than it might be related to the same airflow issue underneath that’s solved with lifting it an inch.

The Sony regular Blu-ray players never had issues placed in the same exact place on the shelf as my x800m2 but I did have the same 4K disc and sometimes Blu-ray Disc freezing on x700 and x800. I would guess the same lift trick would work on x700 and x800 though I never tried it on those 2. I have a x700 in my bedroom but no 4K TV so I haven’t used it to watch any 4K movies other than the few weeks I had experimented with it in the den.

Anyhow I almost had defected over to Panasonic myself until that lift trick was suggested this summer.

If I need Dolby Vision at some point, I might try a Panasonic but it would only be for movies. It’s not a SACD or DVD-Audio player so it wouldn’t push my x800m2 out of the room. :)

M

MTVhike

Audioholic Intern
Why do you say the X800M2 is not a streamer? My X800 has several streaming apps (Netflix, etc.) on it, but I never use them. I only use it for SACDs, DVD-As, and an occasional BluRay.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
It just has a few apps. You can’t download anything like on a streamer.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I forgave Sony a long time ago. PS1,PS2, PSP, PS3, PS VITA. All were great. I had regular Sony Blu-ray players too.

I had experienced the freezing on 4K discs and even Blu-ray Discs on x800 and purchased x800m2 to try to solve it but saw same behavior. However, after @VMPS-TIII clued me in on adding the inch lift for airflow under the x800m2, my playback has been flawless for discs. I mostly watch 4K UHD and Blu-ray and listen to CD, SACD, DVD-Audio, and occasionally DVD and even Dual Disc or DTS music discs. I’ve probably run hundreds of discs since lifting it about an inch and a half with no issues. It’s not the hot time of the year of course. We get about 3 weeks of summer in August in Seattle so will find out then. LOL :)

I do understand the annoyance of the Dolby Vision being manual on x800m2 and x700, but my TV is a 2017 and it is only HDR10, not Dolby Vision. The Panasonic player has this as automatic so that’s great if you’re doing Dolby Vision.

The X800m2 is not a streamer. I have the 2019 Fire cube 4K and the AppleTV 4K for that. I really never used the Sony for Netflix so any freezing for Netflix l, I can’t really say much about it other than it might be related to the same airflow issue underneath that’s solved with lifting it an inch.

The Sony regular Blu-ray players never had issues placed in the same exact place on the shelf as my x800m2 but I did have the same 4K disc and sometimes Blu-ray Disc freezing on x700 and x800. I would guess the same lift trick would work on x700 and x800 though I never tried it on those 2. I have a x700 in my bedroom but no 4K TV so I haven’t used it to watch any 4K movies other than the few weeks I had experimented with it in the den.

Anyhow I almost had defected over to Panasonic myself until that lift trick was suggested this summer.

If I need Dolby Vision at some point, I might try a Panasonic but it would only be for movies. It’s not a SACD or DVD-Audio player so it wouldn’t push my x800m2 out of the room. :)
Same here with my Sony X700 when I added those pads under my X700 to lift it up so air can pass under, it has played with out any issues of freezing up when playing 4K disc or any disc. Umm did I mention I finally got a Roku? That You and a few other AH members where Telling me to get for months!!;) Thanks @snakeeyes for the great advice!:)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Same here with my Sony X700 when I added those pads under my X700 to lift it up so air can pass under, it has played with out any issues of freezing up when playing 4K disc or any disc. Umm did I mention I finally got a Roku? That You and a few other AH members where Telling me to get for months!!;) Thanks @snakeeyes for the great advice!:)
Thanks man! We finally wore you down. :)

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
It's unfortunate that Sony doesn't recommend allowing space under the units. That seems to solve the problem.

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
It's unfortunate that Sony doesn't recommend allowing space under the units. That seems to solve the problem.
It's unfortunate Sony can't properly design a product after decades of practice and inventing the very media being played lol.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis