majorloser

majorloser

Unfortunately my Optoma H78DC3 projector took a crap AGAIN!
No sending it back for repairs this time around. :mad:

So I've given up on DLP projectors. It's 3-chip LCD from now on. :cool:

If all goes right I'll be picking up one of these babies:

Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 7500 UB
Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 7500UB Projector, Overview - Product Information - Epson America, Inc.

We had a chance to play with it last October at the Audioholics SOTU Show.
Epson Showcasing a Wide Array of High-Performance Front Projectors at Audioholics SOTU Event — Reviews and News from Audioholics
(The projector was in the Emotiva room, not the Yamaha/EMP room as Tom indicated.)

It had one of the best pictures I've ever seen on a projector. What's even nice is the ISF modes and the anamorphic capabilities. The anamorphic lens and the 2.35:1 screen may not be coming so soon, though. I see a SI Black Diamond in the future (dreams are good).

Another one bites the dust. At least I almost got 4 years out of this one :mad:

majorloser

majorloser

Ordered my new projector today.

Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6020UB

epson_projector_pro_cinema_6020_front-angle.jpg

It'll be nice to go back to a projector with a center mounted lens.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
congrats ... do you watch TV on your projectors? how many hours do you put in your projectors?

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
How many hours have you gotten out of each lamp and each projector? What is average? I've wanted to get a projector setup but I've always been scared away from the cost of ownership.

majorloser

majorloser

Now days getting 2,000 hours out of a lamp is easy. Even with daily normal TV usage that will be 1 1/2 to 2 years. Also the price of lamps has gone down quite a bit since my first projector. You can get quite a bit more time out of the lamp if you run the projector in the lowest "eco" lamp setting and put the projector in the high altitude mode which will turn the fan "on" to high speed all the time.

But if you plan on getting the best possible image all the time and keeping the unit in calibration, plan on changing the lamp before 2,000 hours. The lamps tend to get a carbon deposit inside the glass that significantly cuts back on the available lamp lumens. So you can either run it till it dies or change the lamp to get the best image. You should calibrate at least every 6 months. If you like a true image you can get a good idea how much life is left in the lamp after each calibration by keeping track of changes in the contrast and tint setting. Eventually you'll get to a point where it won't be able to hit 6500K on the white and you won't be able to make out the different bars in the PLUGE pattern.

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
Congrats on your new PJ Major!

You're right about lamp's life span though. Mine has about 1,700h and it's fading away, even though the manufacturer claims a 3,000h life span (always been used on Eco mode).
IIRC, I've been using my PJ with it's original lamp since 2009, which is quite fair, to be honest :)

majorloser

majorloser

congrats ... do you watch TV on your projectors? how many hours do you put in your projectors?
There's under 5000 hours on the old Epson. Yes we use our projectors to watch TV. What's the sense in having a home theater and not watching TV in there? Once you watch sports on a big screen there's no going back.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Dave, when the helk are you gonna bring all that cool stuff out here to the New Northwest, where it and you and Loserwife belong?!! Besides, the cool climate keeps those bulbs burning longer and stronger, if you get my drift. ;)

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Ordered my new projector today.

Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6020UB

View attachment 11498

It'll be nice to go back to a projector with a center mounted lens.
Congrats! I have the 5010 and love it. I'm sure that you will be very happy with the 6020.
We use ours for everything. Big screen sports rock the house down.

Last edited:
majorloser

majorloser

Dave, when the helk are you gonna bring all that cool stuff out here to the New Northwest, where it and you and Loserwife belong?!! Besides, the cool climate keeps those bulbs burning longer and stronger, if you get my drift. ;)
Can't afford to move at this rate. Almost $20k of broken projectors in the garage.:banghead:

majorloser

majorloser

Congrats! I have the 5010 and love it. I'm sure that you will be vary happy with the 6020.
We use ours for everything. Big screen sports rock the house down.
Have you used the 3D? The 6020 comes with two pairs of the new RF glasses. I just looked up much additional pairs would be. At $100 per pair,it looks like only the wife and I will be watching something in 3D.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Have you used the 3D? The 6020 comes with two pairs of the new RF glasses. I just looked up much additional pairs would be. At $100 per pair,it looks like only the wife and I will be watching something in 3D.
I have. Depending on the movie, it can go from useless to fantastic. There are several settings available to change the amout of 3D effect. I use the normal setting. Try Pollar Express. Watching the snow come down around you is cool. The texture of the train really pops out at you. You'll notice things (like dirt on the windows) that you never paid attention to before.
We bought 2 sets of Epson OEM glasses for the wife and I. Also picked up a set on Panasonic (gen 2 I think) for the little one. The Epsons are too big for her face. I've tried the Panny's myself. They seem to work just as well as the Epson's but at $60 each. There's a thread on it over at AVS, but I haven't checked in for a while. They may have cheaper options available now.

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
You'll notice things (like dirt on the windows) that you never paid attention to before.
It's not $100 glasses that make me notice that stuff - it's knowing that someone is coming to visit. :)

Sorry...back to your regularly scheduled 3D projector discussion.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
There's under 5000 hours on the old Epson. Yes we use our projectors to watch TV. What's the sense in having a home theater and not watching TV in there? Once you watch sports on a big screen there's no going back.
I agree with you there. You really calibrate every six months? I like never calibrate, but I have terrible vision. There is nothing like watching sports on a projector especially football. I'm on my second bulb(though I got one of the cheap 60 dollar ones we'll see how it works out long term)

I love gaming on a projector I can shoot a lot more accurately. There is a side effect though because watching on a normal tv feels underwhelming.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
There is a side effect though because watching on a normal tv feels underwhelming.
I love it when I go to a friend's house and he starts bragging about his new 50 inch TV. I like taking their remote and putting up the TV guide. When you do this, it pushes the picture you are watching into the upper right hand corner. Then I tell them that when I do this, that little picture in the corner measures almost 60 inches on my TV.
I know, I'm such a tool.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis