majorloser

majorloser

Working on a couple new listening areas and projects.

Updating Loserwife's 7.1 system in the bedroom:
  • Emotiva ERM-1 LCR bookshelf speakers
  • Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
  • EMP E10 powered subwoofer
  • B&K Ref 7270 amplifier
  • OPPO DV-981HD DVD
  • Emotiva UMC-1 pre/pro (when it arrives)
  • Sanyo 50" plasma

(eventually her system will get completed enough to have it's own thread)

Also working on building a dedicated 2-channel listening system. So far all I have is the Status Acoustic Decimo bookshelf speakers. I got so spoiled by listening to these speakers earlier this year at my GTG in July that I had to have them :eek:

I can't afford the "big boy" Status Acoustic towers (not in this lifetime), but these have to be the best bookshelf speakers that will probably ever make it into my home.

I've been using the RBH TK-5 towers in my living room as a trial 2-channel system running off of my older Denon AVR-3000 receiver with good results. Mostly used along with my desktop computer as a media server. Eventually I will convert this area to "Zone 2" on my theater with a dedicated amplifier.

majorloser

majorloser

The Status Acoustic Decimos just arrived this week

My early Christmas present. :cool:

Last edited:
majorloser

majorloser

My Christmas Present 2008

The Status Acoustic Decimos are the best bookshelf speakers I have ever heard (hence why I needed them). They won our mini speaker shootout last July. They are very heavy and solid built speakers for their size at 26 lbs each. I believe they utilize a Scanspeak silk dome tweater and a custom made alluminum dome woofer with a fixed phase plug. The Status driver package is also an upgrade to the RBH line of speakers as the limited edition Signature Reference Series. The Status Acoustic division of RBH takes the ultimate approach by adding a solid composite cabinet that does not color the sound and adding the high-end drivers to make a speaker with excellent sound reproduction. Granted, with a price tag that matches.

Gene has stated many times that they are the best small speaker he has ever tested or reviewed. He currently owns the RBH Signature Reference T-30LSE's that include the Status drivers. He's told me that he plans on upgrading to the new Status Accoustic towers when they are released later in 2009.
Here's Gene's review of the Decimos. Note the cabinets were solid black then.
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/bookshelf/status-acoustics-decimo

I will probably end up using them in my theater as the L&R mains. The Canton Ergo towers will be retired. I really don't have the room or funds to start another dedicated 2-channel system. I placed the Decimos on temporary stands in front of the towers till I can get some better (heavier) stands. I will also look into (as in begging) buying a third Decimo to use as a center channel to complete the front stage.

My only complaint with the Decimos is that they are VERY accurate. So accurate that you hear every mistake or flaw in recordings. But you also hear every nuance in a recording. The way it was meant to be heard.

Last edited:
mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
wow, they're that good? replacing your mains in your HT.

how much did they set you back? one finish only available?

what's that thing to the right of the woofer?

congrats on your christmas present! (i got squat this year)

Matt34

Matt34

wow, they're that good? replacing your mains in your HT.

how much did they set you back? one finish only available?

what's that thing to the right of the woofer?

congrats on your christmas present! (i got squat this year)
Mike,

I think they retail around $2400. I don't care for the looks of them but they must sound good if Dave is replacing his Cantons.

26lbs!! That is about as much as those BIC towers I had!:eek:

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I will probably end up using them in my theater as the L&R mains. The Canton Ergo towers will be retired. I really don't have the room or funds to start another dedicated 2-channel system. I placed the Decimos on temporary stands in front of the towers till I can get some better (heavier) stands. I will also look into (as in begging) buying a third Decimo to use as a center channel to complete the front stage.
I'd personally recommend going with a 661-SE/R over another Decimo for the center channel. It does a great job horizontally mounted below a screen and blends well with the Decimo's. I speak from experience as i have that exact arrangement in my Family room system. The 661-SE/R has more dynamic range b/c of the dual 6" drivers which is a real bonus for the center channel.

Oh and as for the Decimo's, I've had mine for nearly 9 years now and plan on being buried with them :D

majorloser

majorloser

But how well would a 661-SE/R blend with a pair of T-30LSE's? :D

(note to self: start selling illegal drugs for extra cash)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
But how well would a 661-SE/R blend with a pair of T-30LSE's?
Not bad at all. My bro has a pair of T-2's and a 661-SE for the center and it works very well. The 661-SE/R is one of my favorite center channels and tonally its a good match for all their Signature stuff.

R

rickdog81

Enthusiast
Rbh & Emp

Thinking of gettng the EMP 551 5.1 system. RBH makes EMP and they are priced very well for my limited college budget? Nce to hear another positive thing coming from RBH to help me pull the trigger without hearing.

majorloser

majorloser

Unfortunately my Optoma H78DC3 projector took a crap AGAIN!
No sending it back for repairs this time around. :mad:

So I've given up on DLP projectors. It's 3-chip LCD from now on. :cool:

If all goes right I'll be picking up one of these babies:

Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 7500 UB
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=63077381

We had a chance to play with it last October at the Audioholics SOTU Show.
http://www.audioholics.com/news/industry-news/epson-front-projectors-sotu/?searchterm=epson
(The projector was in the Emotiva room, not the Yamaha/EMP room as Tom indicated.)

It had one of the best pictures I've ever seen on a projector. What's even nice is the ISF modes and the anamorphic capabilities. The anamorphic lens and the 2.35:1 screen may not be coming so soon, though. I see a SI Black Diamond in the future (dreams are good).

Last edited:
Joeteck

Joeteck

Audioholic
Dude! Where do you live?? I gotta see that in person! Holy Shiniekies!

majorloser

majorloser

Woo Hoo

This has been a very good (and expensive) week. :cool:

I order the new OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray player as part of the "Early Adoption" program.

But most important of all....

MY NEW PROJECTOR ARRIVED!!!

The Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 7500 UB
The bad mofo top of the line projector from Epson. This bad boy features 3-chip LCD's, full ISF calibration and setup, 1600 lumens, 2.35 anamorphic playback (without black bars) and one of the best pictures I've ever seen on a front projector.
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=63077381

:cool:I CAN NOW SAY "HELLO" TO 1080p IN ALL IT'S TRUE GLORY :cool:

(please ignore the signature for this week only)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis