The Insurance Issues with a Home Sell and Purchase in Florida

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Glad it's progressing Chris !

A friend of mine just bought a 1800 sq ft place off AMI here on the West Coast, his yearly homeowners Ins incl flood.......$9400 !!!!

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Sorry, I screwed up. I had been reading some crap on a forum that discussed insulated formed panels.

How did they attach the interior wall surfaces?
The foam blocks are held in place by plastic spacers. The systems I have seen in Canada have a plate on the end of the spacer that sits flush with the form. You can tap drywall screws into the plates. First ICF home was in Belgium in 1937. The NA patent dates to 1967 by Canadian Werner Gregori and the first home was built here in southern Ontario. For those interested the history can be read here.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Well we finally secured insurance on the home we close on March 17th. Talk about cutting it close. Had to go with the state of Fla, Citizens for $2815 a year for what we feel is pretty decent HO-3. The insurance company had to send out a FEMA Disaster Housing Inspection since the WHOLE county was noted as a disaster area even though the issue ( Daytona Beach Shores) occurred 19 miles away. Our move to area had little if any issues at all. The home passed their inspection so we got issuance.

Moving is such pain, coordinating with the packers and mover ( dates reserved, they pack us March 14 & 15) ( move us either the 17 18th ) working with the buyers, and the sellers to us. We close on the sell of our home at 9am March 17th , we close on the home we are buying at 10am and the sellers of the home to us close at 11am on the home they are buying all with the same Title Agency ( with is convenient). So the dismantling and boxing of the stereo and HT stuff starts today, along with going through our garage and then the shed for all the yard tools and other lawn stuff in there. I tell ya, you sure find out how much "STUFF" you have. :oops:

Oh PS: how in the heck do you separate a speaker that is held in place at each corner with Blue tack. The speaker is really stuck to the stand plate. o_O. I'm thinking of using a guitar . 010 string to come in at the corner and separate the speaker from the stand plate.
Nice to hear things are progressing. For the blue tack the first thing I thought of was a guitar pick. If you have guitar strings you should have picks. I think the string should work too if you can keep it close to the stand plate so as not to mar the speaker finish.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I'm replacing the drywall in my cousin's home down in Charlotte Cnty, and helped my brother replace 7 square of roof (structural, and shingles) on his home down there. He had two, 80ft tall pines fall on it. They were about to be raped, if I hadn't stepped in.

I just turned 61 and can still hang sheetrock like a beast. Surprised even myself after being away from the trade for over 20 years by now. Ended up hanging two bathrooms, two bedrooms (plus closets) and the hallway this weekend and will return to hang the rest (20 left, of the 44, 12ft board total) this weekend coming up. May even start taping this weekend. Would have gotten further but they hadn't counted on me getting nearly as far as I did and he didn't have the plumbing for the AC splits he is installing so I had to stop.

Thankfully for me, I didn't buy a home for investment purposes. It's a humble home to start with and I knew I would live here for the rest of my days because it is one of the increasingly rare pieces of property within the city of Tampa with an actual yard that has enough space between houses, and not enough room to build between. Unfortunately, it's a prime target for the myriad of house flippers that exist now, who endlessly solicit me for it. Anymore I return the favor and ask them if their wives or mom's are for sale too, being they don't have a "For Sale" sign on them either but hey, you never know unless you ask, right? I assure them that I will give a fair offer, that I get to decide the amount of.

I can't wait until it's paid off. I will forego the insurance and just bank replacement costs. If it burns to the ground, or gets broken, I'll replace it myself with a damn shed if I need to. As it is, I have not been able to make a claim otherwise for the ridiculous deductible amounts. I have had tree damage, window, plumbing, you name it. All fixed by me personally and out of pocket.

On the upside, hopefully this issue can slow the flow of ppl moving down here somewhat. Even though the state is otherwise fkd by now anyway.

I pointed out to my son how valuable this property is according to actually living on it and he has decided he will carry on here after I am gone. Fenced in back yard, established edible landscape, and an abundance of wildlife that finds refuge here makes it so much more valuable than what marketers and govt tend to dictate.

Besides, where else am I going to live that has an RC rock crawler park in the back yard. :D

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
As most Canadian homes have basements, ICF is common for the foundation but with stick framing on top. When promoting ICF you have to bear in mind that wood is a renewable resource while concrete is not. Search some news sites and you will find stories on sand shortages in some countries where companies are illegally raiding beaches as the commodity runs out. As sand becomes scarce priority will go to large developments and residential construction will need alternatives. I don't see ICF becoming the norm except for maybe coastal areas.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Nice to hear things are progressing. For the blue tack the first thing I thought of was a guitar pick. If you have guitar strings you should have picks. I think the string should work too if you can keep it close to the stand plate so as not to mar the speaker finish.
Didn't thick of the guitar pick, Thanks

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Well we finally secured insurance on the home we close on March 17th. Talk about cutting it close. Had to go with the state of Fla, Citizens for $2815 a year for what we feel is pretty decent HO-3. The insurance company had to send out a FEMA Disaster Housing Inspection since the WHOLE county was noted as a disaster area even though the issue ( Daytona Beach Shores) occurred 19 miles away. Our move to area had little if any issues at all. The home passed their inspection so we got issuance.

Moving is such pain, coordinating with the packers and mover ( dates reserved, they pack us March 14 & 15) ( move us either the 17 18th ) working with the buyers, and the sellers to us. We close on the sell of our home at 9am March 17th , we close on the home we are buying at 10am and the sellers of the home to us close at 11am on the home they are buying all with the same Title Agency ( with is convenient). So the dismantling and boxing of the stereo and HT stuff starts today, along with going through our garage and then the shed for all the yard tools and other lawn stuff in there. I tell ya, you sure find out how much "STUFF" you have. :oops:

Oh PS: how in the heck do you separate a speaker that is held in place at each corner with Blue tack. The speaker is really stuck to the stand plate. o_O. I'm thinking of using a guitar . 010 string to come in at the corner and separate the speaker from the stand plate.
To separate the speaker, you could do what I did with a Thiel, but I wouldn't recommend it. I picked up the stand and speaker, tipped it so I could lay it down and avoid damage and the speaker fell off.

If you have a razor knife, work it in between the cabinet and stand, gradually. It should release. You could also heat the stand from the bottom with a heat gun set to low.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
To separate the speaker, you could do what I did with a Thiel, but I wouldn't recommend it. I picked up the stand and speaker, tipped it so I could lay it down and avoid damage and the speaker fell off.

If you have a razor knife, work it in between the cabinet and stand, gradually. It should release. You could also heat the stand from the bottom with a heat gun set to low.
Not a fan any suggestions of the second paragraph. But thanks, already tried the on the floor process, but its really holding on for dear life. I'll wait till my son and law is here next weekend to separate and box them up.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Not a fan any suggestions of the second paragraph. But thanks, already tried the on the floor process, but its really holding on for dear life. I'll wait till my son and law is here next weekend to separate and box them up.
With care and gentle heat, nothing will be damaged.

You could lay it on its side and put something under the top edge to raise it about an inch- eventually, gravity will win.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis