The Insurance Issues with a Home Sell and Purchase in Florida

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Off street parking space to allow EV charging for apartments and condos in cities will soon be a problem in the USA. I don't see a solution for this without a big political fight.

In my neighborhood there is already a small-scale version of such a fight, even though nearly every home has a garage or off street parking. Right now, there is one Level 2 (240V, 50A) charger capable of charging 2 cars at once. It's in a small parking lot, and is available to any home owner in the neighborhood. But it's likely not enough for future demand.

Someone had suggested that existing street light poles be altered to allow plugging in EV chargers – as is done in London. @TLS Guy Is that so? Here that idea went nowhere because the local home owners association has no authority over county-owned street lights, nor can it influence the privately owned electricity utility that powers the lights. If that exists in London, I can imagine how taxes might pay for the needed modifications, but who pays for the charging itself?

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
cities can't keep vandalism in check now, on street charging ?, yeah right..............

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
cities can't keep vandalism in check now, on street charging ?, yeah right..............
In Philadelphia, definitely NOT! Elsewhere, maybe. But I get that the more polite & law abiding atmosphere in the UK* doesn't seem to exist here in east coast cities.

* At least in those neighborhoods of London where the residents can afford any car, much less an EV.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
In Philadelphia, definitely NOT! Elsewhere, maybe. But I get that the more polite & law abiding atmosphere in the UK* doesn't seem to exist here in east coast cities.

* At least in those neighborhoods of London where the residents can afford any car, much less an EV.
Issues will take place all over the US. Heck even the lowly Prius has had their back window busted the the battery taken. Not to mention the copper charging cables. its been going on since 2015 in CA and other cities. Crooks will find a way to do what they do.

And the UK, 2021

Electric car owners to be hit by next wave of UK car crime cables and batteries targeted
ELECTRIC CAR owners are being warned they could soon be a target for the next serious crime wave to hit the UK.

By LUKE CHILLINGSWORTH
04:01, Mon, Jun 7, 2021 | UPDATED: 13:03, Mon, Jun 7, 202

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Off street parking space to allow EV charging for apartments and condos in cities will soon be a problem in the USA. I don't see a solution for this without a big political fight.

In my neighborhood there is already a small-scale version of such a fight, even though nearly every home has a garage or off street parking. Right now, there is one Level 2 (240V, 50A) charger capable of charging 2 cars at once. It's in a small parking lot, and is available to any home owner in the neighborhood. But it's likely not enough for future demand.

Someone had suggested that existing street light poles be altered to allow plugging in EV chargers – as is done in London. @TLS Guy Is that so? Here that idea went nowhere because the local home owners association has no authority over county-owned street lights, nor can it influence the privately owned electricity utility that powers the lights. If that exists in London, I can imagine how taxes might pay for the needed modifications, but who pays for the charging itself?
The UK currently has 3,600 charging point on street light poles in the UK.

However they are NOT reserved. Unless you are handicapped you can not have a dedicated parking spot on the street. The companies that install and run these have Apps to connect, but fees are much higher than at home charging.

So it is not the answer. If you come home with a nearly dead battery and all the charging points are taken, you are out of luck. It is now understood that at home charging has to be the backbone of EV charging.

For one thing people do not generally exceed their range before getting back home. If you do you are in trouble.

My brother and sister in-law have an EV. We did a long trip from Herefordshire to Somerset, and had an overnight stay in Wells. All the charging points in the hotel were taken. They had two! On the way back down the M4 we were getting low. All the gas stations had rows of chargers but NO empty spots. Waiting for one to come free, is not like waiting for someone to move away from the gas pump. We just made it back to Herefordshire with an almost totally exhausted battery. Mileage since we left was 350 miles. So range anxiety is real. To replace gas pumps with chargers, is going to require acres and acres of land.
At the moment, I am far from convinced this is a viable solution.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
The UK currently has 3,600 charging point on street light poles in the UK.

However they are NOT reserved. Unless you are handicapped you can not have a dedicated parking spot on the street. The companies that install and run these have Apps to connect, but fees are much higher than at home charging.

So it is not the answer. If you come home with a nearly dead battery and all the charging points are taken, you are out of luck. It is now understood that at home charging has to be the backbone of EV charging.

For one thing people do not generally exceed their range before getting back home. If you do you are in trouble.

My brother and sister in-law have an EV. We did a long trip from Herefordshire to Somerset, and had an overnight stay in Wells. All the charging points in the hotel were taken. They had two! On the way back down the M4 we were getting low. All the gas stations had rows of chargers but NO empty spots. Waiting for one to come free, is not like waiting for someone to move away from the gas pump. We just made it back to Herefordshire with an almost totally exhausted battery. Mileage since we left was 350 miles. So range anxiety is real. To replace gas pumps with chargers, is going to require acres and acres of land.
At the moment, I am far from convinced this is a viable solution.
The issue of EV chargers availability doesn't necessarily resolve by having more EV Chargers (thought it would help) - another idea is to have more level 3 aka Fast EV charging stations (and cars that could use these) where EVs could be charged from 0 to 70% in 15mins (Lucid Air, for example). Tesla's SuperChargers deliver 200miles in 15mins

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Care to show the ICF panels you're referring to? I haven't seen steel reinforced ICF.

WRT home builders- where else can Schmendrick get a job that requires almost no prior experience?

I have probably mentioned it beforebut in '05, I was working for an AV integration contractor and we had to go to a house in a very nice area that needed equipment installed for the showing that started later in the evening. It wasn't the builder per se, but since it was one of their subs, it applies because they were the ones who would have signed off when the subs were working and when they finished working their magic. The AV was just a mess. Some of it wasn't done to code, some of it was just stupid and as i t turned out, it was the security company who ran all of the AV cables. Then, we were working alongside the painters and they missed parts of the crown moulding, didn't cover the stairs when they painted the balusters and generally made a mess in a house that was almost finished. Drywall taping where the trayed ceiling met the walls....it was far less than impressive.

The next morning, the director of the company came into the office and asked what I thought of the house- I told him and then, he said that it had sold for $1.4 Million, only a couple of hours after the showing began. I swear, some people have more money than brains.
ICF homes are NOT built from concrete panels.

The system uses polystyrene blocks, like Lego. These blocks have transverse reinforcing bars. Steel reinforcing bars are placed down from the fop with a loop on the top floor to ties down the roof. The first story of the 'Lego" blocks is built first. The the pumper truck comes in and the concrete trucks start to roll. and fill the the insides of the blocks. This goes very quickly. Then the floor trusses are placed and the second story "Lego" construction begins. After placing the reinforcing bars the the pumper truck returns and the upper story walls are filled with concrete. So now you have a strong house with 6" concrete walls, insulated inside and out, just like that, ready for the roof trusses, windows and internal framing. Because of the insulation of the Polystyrene the concrete cures slowly, which makes it much stronger.

There are wings on the horizontal bars to take the screws for the siding as nails are no use. Diamond coat siding is required, made in Two Harbors MN, with has a rear spine so it can not bend.

There are a number of systems. Logix, an Canadian system is widely used in outstate Minnesota now, but not so much in the Metro. We used Diversifoam, of New Rockford MN. They got bought by an outfit, Kingspan, from County Cork Ireland who closed the plant. They make concrete panels, and I think this was an anti-competitive move.

And that's the short quick version.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The issue of EV chargers availability doesn't necessarily resolve by having more EV Chargers (thought it would help) - another idea is to have more level 3 aka Fast EV charging stations (and cars that could use these) where EVs could be charged from 0 to 70% in 15mins (Lucid Air, for example). Tesla's SuperChargers deliver 200miles in 15mins
Currently that shortens the life of the batteries a lot. In addition the power required to power significant numbers will require a vast upgrade in local infrastructure, and pretty much a substation next to every filling station.

The trouble with all this is that people seem unable to scale engineering projects and infra structure any more.

The UK and Europe have found in the cold spell, that the renewables produced no significantly useful power and there was a scramble to restart coal power stations. Even with that home owners were paid to volunteer to freeze in the dark. This transition will require nuclear power and lots of it. If Rolls Royce get their way, pretty much a small nuclear power plant on every block.

highfigh

highfigh

I never said to tear down their homes, although the continually rising wind speeds, will demolish increasing numbers for them. The other question is what line the insurance companies will take, and rating policies might have an impact.

I think the one thing that will lead to a lot of tear downs is the move to electric vehicles. This will make homes without off street parking a very bad proposition, and will put them at a huge disadvantage. This is already an issue in London, as the ULEZ zone spreads to the whole greater London area.
Demo is much faster than gently disassembling for repair and that's a slow, expensive process. As much as progress and improvement can be good, the amount of waste that comes from this is disgusting.

highfigh

highfigh

ICF homes are NOT built from concrete panels.

The system uses polystyrene blocks, like Lego. These blocks have transverse reinforcing bars. Steel reinforcing bars are placed down from the fop with a loop on the top floor to ties down the roof. The first story of the 'Lego" blocks is built first. The the pumper truck comes in and the concrete trucks start to roll. and fill the the insides of the blocks. This goes very quickly. Then the floor trusses are placed and the second story "Lego" construction begins. After placing the reinforcing bars the the pumper truck returns and the upper story walls are filled with concrete. So now you have a strong house with 6" concrete walls, insulated inside and out, just like that, ready for the roof trusses, windows and internal framing. Because of the insulation of the Polystyrene the concrete cures slowly, which makes it much stronger.

There are wings on the horizontal bars to take the screws for the siding as nails are no use. Diamond coat siding is required, made in Two Harbors MN, with has a rear spine so it can not bend.

There are a number of systems. Logix, an Canadian system is widely used in outstate Minnesota now, but not so much in the Metro. We used Diversifoam, of New Rockford MN. They got bought by an outfit, Kingspan, from County Cork Ireland who closed the plant. They make concrete panels, and I think this was an anti-competitive move.

And that's the short quick version.
Who said anything about concrete? I know what ICF panels are. I didn't know if you were referring to the foam-filled panels with OSB, or the concrete filled ones, so I asked.

Why would an Irish company buy a plant in Minnesota- are they operating in the same area?

highfigh

highfigh

I can't wait to see how many charging stations will be stolen, for their scrap metal value. It's just a matter of time.

Cities need to get a handle on the crime- this is going to go in a very bad direction if it continues.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
interesting discussion on 'street charging of EV's' , can the mods move this to the EV car discussion thread ?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Who said anything about concrete? I know what ICF panels are. I didn't know if you were referring to the foam-filled panels with OSB, or the concrete filled ones, so I asked.

Why would an Irish company buy a plant in Minnesota- are they operating in the same area?
You did!

This is the question you asked. "Care to show the ICF panels you're referring to? " ICF buildings NEVER contain concrete panels. They are built from Polystyrene blocs. These a small blocks about the size of cement blocks. They are laid like bricks. The come manufactured with horizontal reinforcement, otherwise when filled with concrete they would blow out. The vertical reinforcement is placed from the top of the finished polystyrene wall. Then when all is ready, the concrete is poured from the top be a pumper truck. This produces a seamless concrete wall. The polystyrene stays in place and no further insulation is required. No concrete panels are involved at any stage of the process. So I have no panels to show you, because there are none to show.

I have no idea why that Irish company bought Diversifoam. That outfit has an office in the US, but as far as I can tell zero activity. They are big in Europe and one of the companies involved in the fiery Grenfell tower cladding scandal, which caused a large loss of life. So they are suspect before you start. I suspect that the most likely reason was an anticompetitive move. It is a shame, they were a stellar company to deal with.

highfigh

highfigh

You did!

This is the question you asked. "Care to show the ICF panels you're referring to? " ICF buildings NEVER contain concrete panels. They are built from Polystyrene blocs. These a small blocks about the size of cement blocks. They are laid like bricks. The come manufactured with horizontal reinforcement, otherwise when filled with concrete they would blow out. The vertical reinforcement is placed from the top of the finished polystyrene wall. Then when all is ready, the concrete is poured from the top be a pumper truck. This produces a seamless concrete wall. The polystyrene stays in place and no further insulation is required. No concrete panels are involved at any stage of the process. So I have no panels to show you, because there are none to show.

I have no idea why that Irish company bought Diversifoam. That outfit has an office in the US, but as far as I can tell zero activity. They are big in Europe and one of the companies involved in the fiery Grenfell tower cladding scandal, which caused a large loss of life. So they are suspect before you start. I suspect that the most likely reason was an anticompetitive move. It is a shame, they were a stellar company to deal with.
Sorry, I screwed up. I had been reading some crap on a forum that discussed insulated formed panels.

How did they attach the interior wall surfaces?

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
ICF buildings NEVER contain concrete panels
The panels are placed in position and then the concrete is pumped into the panel. We have a new hospital being built and the outer walls are ICF poured.

But if you are talking about trucking in ICF panels already poured , that would be a heavy and expensive to truck and hoist into position. That's taking pre-fab to a whole nother level.

highfigh

highfigh

The panels are placed in position and then the concrete is pumped into the panel. We have a new hospital being built and the outer walls are ICF poured.

But if you are talking about trucking in ICF panels already poured , that would be a heavy and expensive to truck and hoist into position. That's taking pre-fab to a whole nother level.
Concrete panels are frequently used in commercial/industrial and they can be much taller than a home would need. However, they don't need to be insulated until after they're all in place.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Concrete panels are frequently used in commercial/industrial and they can be much taller than a home would need. However, they don't need to be insulated until after they're all in place.
Correct, the ones in our hospital are freaking huge. Last month they had a whole street blocked off just so the concrete trucks could line up for their turn at the 2 pump trucks.

A earlier picture of the construction below.. Two more upward wall sections to go.

This stuff would make nice walls for a home.
adventhealth-palm-coast-parkway.jpg

highfigh

highfigh

Correct, the ones in our hospital are freaking huge. Last month they had a whole street blocked off just so the concrete trucks could line up for their turn at the 2 pump trucks.

A earlier picture of the construction below.. Two more upward wall sections to go.

This stuff would make nice walls for a home. View attachment 60224
I'm sure that method is used for those ginormous "I Play Basketball and I want you to notice me" homes in the Hollywood hills.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Well we finally secured insurance on the home we close on March 17th. Talk about cutting it close. Had to go with the state of Fla, Citizens for $2815 a year for what we feel is pretty decent HO-3. The insurance company had to send out a FEMA Disaster Housing Inspection since the WHOLE county was noted as a disaster area even though the issue ( Daytona Beach Shores) occurred 19 miles away. Our move to area had little if any issues at all. The home passed their inspection so we got issuance.

Moving is such pain, coordinating with the packers and mover ( dates reserved, they pack us March 14 & 15) ( move us either the 17 18th ) working with the buyers, and the sellers to us. We close on the sell of our home at 9am March 17th , we close on the home we are buying at 10am and the sellers of the home to us close at 11am on the home they are buying all with the same Title Agency ( with is convenient). So the dismantling and boxing of the stereo and HT stuff starts today, along with going through our garage and then the shed for all the yard tools and other lawn stuff in there. I tell ya, you sure find out how much "STUFF" you have. :oops:

Oh PS: how in the heck do you separate a speaker that is held in place at each corner with Blue tack. The speaker is really stuck to the stand plate. o_O. I'm thinking of using a guitar . 010 string to come in at the corner and separate the speaker from the stand plate.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis