The everything Beer thread

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, all you stout drinkers (and tripples/quads), I gotta start posting my IPA drinks to balance it out.

I loved stouts for many years, but today my 1st choice is always an IPA!
I actually enjoy IPA for a change of pace. I keep a few of those on hand as well.

Kind of funny that, the everything snob buddy I have, that has also given me a rough time with my audio choices (no more since I shut his trap with the Tempests :D ) buys a lot of craft beer and even designer coffee. He comes over with beer in a fancy box that IIRC, cost him over 40 bucks for two beers! So he's sitting here, going on and on about it. . .smelling it, sipping it, describing it down to the molecular level.

Meanwhile, he runs out. lol. His experience is over. I'm sitting on 3 10 packs of Murphy's. So, to keep up with the Jones', I start describing and snob'ng over my own. How wet it is and how thirsty I am not. Don't you know, that he suddenly developed a taste for my stout? :D

S

Seize

Audioholic Intern
Ah, we've got some serious beer connoisseurs here! :)

I don't drink much these days and that's really a shame because these haven't seen use in quite some time.

I live in San Diego so I'm pretty spoiled when it comes to really good craft beer. I live pretty much right down the street from Ballast Point. Ale Smith is located here in my neighborhood as well. I can pretty much drive in any direction for about 10 minutes and be at a brewery. :)

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Just a little stout chemistry education:
Dublin has particularly hard water, meaning it contains large amounts of bicarbonates and calcium which raise the pH of the water. To avoid harsh flavours in the beer, Dublin brewers rely on enzymes with very specific pH requirements of around 5.1–5.5. This requires roasted malts — which have an acidic effect on the brew – to lower the pH. These water conditions have resulted in the Irish stout style (such as Guinness) being developed there.

http://www.lateralmag.com/articles/issue-5/beer-a-chemical-composition
I think I read that at some point, perhaps while in Ireland. Still interesting though.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I've only had a few IPAs so far. Most of them I hated. Some weren't that bad, but I'd still rather drink almost anything else :D

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I've only had a few IPAs so far. Most of them I hated. Some weren't that bad, but I'd still rather drink almost anything else :D
I didn't care for IPA initially but I did acquire a taste for it after giving it a fair try.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
If I ever get bored of stouts I might give them another try but I don't see that happening lol

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
If I ever get bored of stouts I might give them another try but I don't see that happening lol
I agree. I would likely not be drinking beer if not for stout. Until then, I tried a lot of different ones and just figured brewed beverages just weren't my thing outside of coffee.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
You guys made me thirsty for beer. I had to stop at Totl wine and pick up 3-10 packs of Murphy's. It was all they had left on the shelf.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I'm not a beer drinker, or much of anything alcoholic, really. I do enjoy beer with food and prefer stout. A guy in the store suggested trying this so I bought a 4 pack. It's not bad!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm not a beer drinker, or much of anything alcoholic, really. I do enjoy beer with food and prefer stout. A guy in the store suggested trying this so I bought a 4 pack. It's not bad!
For some reason I just don't want to know the origin of the name in relation to the beer... :)

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
For some reason I just don't want to know the origin of the name in relation to the beer... :)
lol. . . .I thought the same thing. I pictured a couple drunken Brits making this brew and not having a name and this is the first thing they saw.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
lol. . . .I thought the same thing. I pictured a couple drunken Brits making this brew and not having a name and this is the first thing they saw.
I was more thinking of the "secret" ingredients revealed a while back for Guinness...some sort of fish guts but fish sauce is really good, so.....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just found this tonite at the local "supermarket", an IPA called Cast Out from Crux out of Bend:
crux cast out.jpg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis