The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

D

Denx4100

Audioholic Intern
NeuralX has the rain effects down hard.

I was watching an episode of Bosch. When it started raining I thought it was raining outside my house. :D
He he. Lol, I was watching the fugitive one night while the police helicopter was circling the neighborhood, and the family downstairs thought the police were about to land in the backyard
“13 Hours” comes out on 4K Atmos 6/11. Hopefully it will have some nice overhead sound effects.

D

Denx4100

Audioholic Intern
That's one of the downfalls of the so-called immersive audio palette, it can become "gimmicky," if not used properly. In my opinion, sometimes Atmos and or DTS-X is overkill. You don't need all those speakers to for your sound to be immersive. A good 5.1 mix can be immersive enough. The use of overhead sounds should be used very little because we as humans don't really perceive sounds from directly above us, more to sides, even height effects.
So, if a tornado snaps a 100 foot tree onto your roof, are you saying it won't sound as if the house is collapsing in on you from above!!!!!!?????

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So, if a tornado snaps a 100 foot tree onto your roof, are you saying it won't sound as if the house is collapsing in on you from above!!!!!!?????
Auditor55 has NEVER experienced a home Atmos/DTSX/NeuralX/DSU in his life, but that doesn’t stop him from disparaging it every chance he gets. :D

The truth is that he cannot or will not install even height speakers (definitely not ceiling speakers). So if you cannot have something, why say anything good about it? It would be torture. :D

D

Denx4100

Audioholic Intern
Auditor55 has NEVER experienced a home Atmos/DTSX/NeuralX/DSU in his life, but that doesn’t stop him from disparaging it every chance he gets. :D

The truth is that he cannot or will not install even height speakers (definitely not ceiling speakers). So if you cannot have something, why say anything good about it? It would be torture. :D
Lol, very good comment. I just don't understand why a skeptic, who never tried something, has in his mind a solid ground to stand on

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Lol, very good comment. I just don't understand why a skeptic, who never tried something, has in his mind a solid ground to stand on
Yep, some of us will continue to greatly enjoy Atmos, DTSX, Auro3D, NeuralX, DSU, while skeptics like Auditor55 will continue to hate.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General

I'm not disparaging Atmos, just skeptical about it. It seems I'm not the only one.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
How often does that happen? Probably never. That's why many of you are so disappointed with some of the home Atmos mixes, you're not getting the overhead activity that you expected to get, especially considering that you have invested so much time and money into Atmos. However, content creators and sound mixers realize that you can only be so aggressive with overhead sounds because in real life not that much is happening directly above you. If sound mixers go too far the sound above you would distract from what going on up front (on the screen), which is way more important. If sound mixers start putting lots of information above it will be come too gimmicky, for example, I've been hearing about Atmos music, are you telling me I will start hearing guitars and horns directly above, that would be totally ridiculous.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm not disparaging Atmos, just skeptical about it. It seems I'm not the only one.
It's natural to be skeptical of anything until you've experienced it yourself.

@Gmoney might soon be adding 2 Height speakers a few feet above ear level to turn his 5.1 system into Atmos/DTSX 5.1.2.

You can try it out yourself. Maybe use a tall bookshelf in the back of the room to temporarily add the height speakers. See for yourself once and for all, instead of being skeptical forever.

D

depechefan

Audioholic
This might be the wrong place to post this question... I've bought a Denon AVC-X8500H which supports a 7.2.6 speaker configuration. So I was getting ready to implement this. However I have recently read some articles stating that the 6 height speakers are very rarely used in Atmos movies/music. So now I'm wondering if it would make more sense to install a single speaker on top of my seating position because my understanding is that this would be a good setup for use with Auro... I have never heard Auro and I don't know if the 7.2 setup I'm going to implement will support this anyway?

Happy to move this to a different forum if that makes more sense :)

/M

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
This might be the wrong place to post this question... I've bought a Denon AVC-X8500H which supports a 7.2.6 speaker configuration. So I was getting ready to implement this. However I have recently read some articles stating that the 6 height speakers are very rarely used in Atmos movies/music. So now I'm wondering if it would make more sense to install a single speaker on top of my seating position because my understanding is that this would be a good setup for use with Auro... I have never heard Auro and I don't know if the 7.2 setup I'm going to implement will support this anyway?

Happy to move this to a different forum if that makes more sense :)

/M
@VonMagnum could give you a more detail run-down. He has like a million Atmos speakers everywhere. Probably looking for some ways to install speakers BELOW his seating. :D

Personally, I would much rather have 2 to 6 ceiling speakers for Atmos/DTSX/Auro3D than just ONE overhead speaker.

If you can install one overhead speaker, why not install 2, 4 or 6 overhead speakers?

D

depechefan

Audioholic
@VonMagnum could give you a more detail run-down. He has like a million Atmos speakers everywhere. Probably looking for some ways to install speakers BELOW his seating. :D

Personally, I would much rather have 2 to 6 ceiling speakers for Atmos/DTSX/Auro3D than just ONE overhead speaker.

If you can install one overhead speaker, why not install 2, 4 or 6 overhead speakers?
Probably mostly because I don't really know what I'm talking about. I realize that I didn't explain well enough. My thinking was to install the "traditional" 4 Atmos speakers. 2 behind and 2 in front of the seating position but then only one right over the MLP instead of 2 either side.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Probably mostly because I don't really know what I'm talking about. I realize that I didn't explain well enough. My thinking was to install the "traditional" 4 Atmos speakers. 2 behind and 2 in front of the seating position but then only one right over the MLP instead of 2 either side.
Oh, so like 5 overhead speakers, instead of 6?

I think as long as there are 4 traditional Atmos speakers, the additional 1 (Center VOG) or 2 speakers to make 5 or 6 overhead speakers doesn't matter as much.

Hopefully, @VonMagnum can chime in since he has experienced Atmos/DTSX and Auro3D.

I still prefer 6 speakers instead of 5, though. :D

You could do TWO VOG speakers - 2 speakers over the MLP - one on left and one on right side. Both are directly over your head, but just a little over to the right and left. :D

D

depechefan

Audioholic
Yes, exactly, 5 instead of 6. Or as you suggest 6 but in a different pattern than standard Atmos.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, exactly, 5 instead of 6. Or as you suggest 6 but in a different pattern than standard Atmos.
I think I like that - 4 standard Atmos speakers that are farther out to the sides (but not too far since you still want to hear them easily), plus 2 middle speakers that are immediately closer over the MLP.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
How long is the room? That will
Determine how many speakers you should use up there. Since there is basically ZERO Auro I wouldn’t bother with accommodating it. And yeah, .6 is problematic as you’ve read. So imo, unless your room
Is really long, I wouldn’t worry about 6. And especially.5.

D

depechefan

Audioholic
Right. Should have mentioned that of course. It's 6.8 metres long. I don't understand feet/inches ;-)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Right. Should have mentioned that of course. It's 6.8 metres long. I don't understand feet/inches ;-)
That’s about 22 feet. IMO, not long enough to justify, but I should’ve asked width and height as well...

D

depechefan

Audioholic
Based on comments here and what I've read elsewhere I think there's no doubt that 7.2.6 is overkill for my situation but since I have the amplifier and speakers to do it and I need to get a lowered ceiling mounted anyway I figure I might as well go for it :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Based on comments here and what I've read elsewhere I think there's no doubt that 7.2.6 is overkill for my situation but since I have the amplifier and speakers to do it and I need to get a lowered ceiling mounted anyway I figure I might as well go for it :)
Probably overkill. But does not hurt to have more if you can swing it.

We know about overkill in this hobby. :D

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Can't that receiver do width speakers as well? I figure that'd get you a bigger front sound-stage if your room can accommodate it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis