The Dave Ramsey Dichotomy...

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
'67 Camaros are kind of cool.

'54 pickups are also cool.
Until you drive one with the original suspension and stock breaks. Then, not so much. It is very cool to see how far technology has come, but also to see how differently they looked at things way back when.

What I'd LOVE to do is build one of the '67 Camaro kit cars. Then I'd just put a modern suspension on it and go from there. Won't have the time to do that for quite a while.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Until you drive one with the original suspension and stock breaks. Then, not so much. It is very cool to see how far technology has come, but also to see how differently they looked at things way back when.
not entirely, my '67, while stock suspension(albeit totally refreshed) has modern and much better tires. That combined with 4 wheel disc brakes, is more the capable given the speeds I travel on these god awful Pa roads !

'67 Vette side profile.jpg

What I'd LOVE to do is build one of the '67 Camaro kit cars. Then I'd just put a modern suspension on it and go from there. Won't have the time to do that for quite a while.
Restomods are all the rage right now !

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
not entirely, my '67, while stock suspension(albeit totally refreshed) has modern and much better tires. That combined with 4 wheel disc brakes, is more the capable given the speeds I travel on these god awful Pa roads !

View attachment 44483

Have you seen this one?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

View attachment 44483

I'm sure the brakes make all the difference. That and tires.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I'm sure the brakes make all the difference. That and tires.
Tires can make such a huge difference with a car. That's usually the first thing I change when I get a vehicle, give it some really good tires.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Tires can make such a huge difference with a car. That's usually the first thing I change when I get a vehicle, give it some really good tires.
I need to change the ones on my truck. They are loud and suck in water. They're expensive too. Got them with the vehicle and plan to change them soon. They just cost SO much for my truck.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I need to change the ones on my truck. They are loud and suck in water. They're expensive too. Got them with the vehicle and plan to change them soon. They just cost SO much for my truck.
All my Accords came with the MOST expensive tire in that size and they were AWFUL. Something like $400 a tire! You'd go on tirerack and they pretty much got 4's across the board, except for tire wear. They'd last 80k miles if they didn't kill you in the rain first! I ended up going with Continental DWS's for something like $130 each and could not have been happier, so definitely check other options besides OEM.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
All my Accords came with the MOST expensive tire in that size and they were AWFUL. Something like $400 a tire! You'd go on tirerack and they pretty much got 4's across the board, except for tire wear. They'd last 80k miles if they didn't kill you in the rain first! I ended up going with Continental DWS's for something like $130 each and could not have been happier, so definitely check other options besides OEM.
For sure, but these aren't OEM. They're Notti Ridge Grappler G2's which are supposed to be good A/T tires. They aren't. The guy and discount tire said they suck for how much they are. Yes, they're E rated so I can put a ton of weight on them, but still. They aren't $400 per tire, but a LOT more than much better options.

When I upgrade it'll be expensive, but I'll tolerate that to get decent tires that don't drone when I drive.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I ended up going with Continental DWS's for something like $130 each and could not have been happier, so definitely check other options besides OEM.
I highly recommend the Continental DWS06 too. We have them on two cars, and they're really a very good compromise for everyday use. Michelin PS4s are better for handling performance, obviously, but they don't last very long, and any conditions other than dry roads in warm weather aren't what they're optimized for.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
For personal finance and good investment advice this entire thread is a really weird.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
True, things are getting more complex, but that's not what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about the fact that to replace the spark plugs in newer engines, the intake manifold has to be removed. That's by design. It's not "difficult" to do, but the odds of a driveway mechanic screwing things up increases significantly when the amount of parts required to be removed increases.

I remember replacing the spark plugs in my wife's 4cyl saturn. It took 3-5 min at most. My old Dodge truck with a 3.7? 3 hours. The engine is set so far back in the bay it's almost impossible to get to the back plugs. It doesn't help that they're set so deep into the head. The new 3.6 motor is even worse. In some Ford diesel trucks you have to lift the cab to change the injectors. Why?
Why? Because labor at the dealership is nearly $200/hour, that's why.

I will be hard pressed to buy anything with more than 4 cylinders ever again. Even my wife's Kia SUV is a 2.4L 4-banger (love that engine though! Wish it was in my car!). It gets the job done and you can reach everything when you pop the hood. I always say, you know a car is too complex when you can't look down into the engine compartment and see a single square inch of the driveway. :p

highfigh

highfigh

900 HP makes a nice difference, too.

He raced all day with that car, too- started in the 150MPH range and climbed to over 176MPH- that was pretty cool.

highfigh

highfigh

Why? Because labor at the dealership is nearly $200/hour, that's why.

I will be hard pressed to buy anything with more than 4 cylinders ever again. Even my wife's Kia SUV is a 2.4L 4-banger (love that engine though! Wish it was in my car!). It gets the job done and you can reach everything when you pop the hood. I always say, you know a car is too complex when you can't look down into the engine compartment and see a single square inch of the driveway. :p
I did some AV work at a bar/restaurant and one day, the owner was sitting there, staring at his drink. I asked how he was and he paused and said, "I had to have the starter replaced on my car", which was a Cadillac STS. He asked "Do you know how much that costs?" and I answered with "$900". His eyes went wide and asked "How did you know that?" and I said "I know where your starter is".

For those who don't know, the starter on the pretty Northstar engine is under the intake manifold.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis