The Dark Tower (Stephen King)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My wife, 15 YO daughter, and I watched "The Dark Tower".

My daughter and I liked this movie a lot, while my wife hated it. :D

I didn't read the 8 novels by Stephen King, which I'm sure is much better.

I could tell the story was rushed in the movie. I think this could be a great TV series.

But overall, I enjoy this movie a lot. I think it is very fast-paced, exciting, and cool. The sound effects also sound fantastic. This is a movie that I could re-watch over and over again. :D

Gunslinger:
I do not aim with my hand. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father. I aim with my eye.

I do not shoot with my hand. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father. I shoot with my mind.

I do not kill with my gun. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father. I kill with my heart.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Lots of upset fans in my age group on IMDB reviews... I'll probably watch it eventually, but not in rush to do so. Now, Blade Runner 2049 is whole another story...

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I disagree with most of these reviews. I thought this movie was very entertaining.

I hope the TV series will be even better.
that's encouraging. I'll make an effort to watch it sooner then

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
that's encouraging. I'll make an effort to watch it sooner then
I didn't know anything about the 8 novels of the Dark Tower prior to watching this movie. That's why I didn't have a problem with this movie.

If I knew a lot about the Dark Tower novels and found out they changed everything, I probably would have hated it too.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
When is it coming to what station?
No concrete date or TV station yet. All we know is that MRC and SONY Pictures and Glen Mazzara (Walking Dead executive producer) are involved.

Last edited:
jinjuku

jinjuku

I read the books. I understand the frustration with people that read the books and saw the movie. It's too much to encapsulate into a single movie.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I didn’t know about the books either. The trailers just looked amazing. Looking forward to this. @jinjuku, avatar winner!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It's a movie? The Dark Tower is a whole series of books. It would be hard to squeeze all that into a movie.

That being said, ima have to check this one out. I got a few books into this series when I was a kid.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It's a movie? The Dark Tower is a whole series of books. It would be hard to squeeze all that into a movie.

That being said, ima have to check this one out. I got a few books into this series when I was a kid.
Yeah, it's hard enough to cram 1 novel into a 3 hr movie. Try cramming 8 novels into a 1.5 hr movie. :D

Not much room to develop anything. But I still enjoyed this movie.

Now the new 2018 Dark Tower TV series by MRC (The Ozark, Dark Tower, Furious 7, Baby Driver) and SONY Pictures should have plenty of time to develop all the characters.

I'm thinking it's gotta be good, right? SONY + Walking Dead (Exec Producer). Come on. Gotta be good.

They could turn the 8 novels into 8 seasons. :D

I bet it'll on be Netflix, Amazon, or Hulu.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, it's hard enough to cram 1 novel into a 3 hr movie. Try cramming 8 novels into a 1.5 hr movie. :D

Not much room to develop anything. But I still enjoyed this movie.

Now the new 2018 Dark Tower TV series by MRC (The Ozark, Dark Tower, Furious 7, Baby Driver) and SONY Pictures should have plenty of time to develop all the characters.

I'm thinking it's gotta be good, right? SONY + Walking Dead (Exec Producer). Come on. Gotta be good.

They could turn the 8 novels into 8 seasons. :D

I bet it'll on be Netflix, Amazon, or Hulu.
Similar to GoT. That's what I was thinking along the lines of. That could work.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Similar to GoT.
Game of Thrones. We can only wish. :D

So far everything looks promising for The Dark Tower TV series. But it needs to be on a great TV network like HBO (GoT, Westworld), Showtime (Ray Donovan), Cinemax (Banshee), Starz (Spartacus, Outlander, American Gods), AMC (Walking Dead), Netflix, Amazon, etc.

I hope it's not ABC, NBC, CBS, WB, or FOX. :eek:

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Not sure how many of you are into Outlander but that has 9 books, 1000 pages average paperback, and is on season 3 on Starz. Even with a 10 hour or more a season, 4th coming, is hard to encapsulate a book into a season.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Not sure how many of you are into Outlander but that has 9 books, 1000 pages average paperback, and is on season 3 on Starz. Even with a 10 hour or more a season, 4th coming, is hard to encapsulate a book into a season.
I love Outlander too. Hopefully there will be 9 seasons of Outlander to match the 9 novels. :D

Starz has some awesome series.

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I love Outlander too. Hopefully there will be 9 seasons of Outlander to match the 9 novels. :D

Starz has some awesome series.
And found out that going directly to them streaming is less than comcast. Just cannot record it.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I disagree with most of these reviews. I thought this movie was very entertaining.

I hope the TV series will be even better.
Ok, So I did watch the movie tonight. I haven't read the books, but even to me the story feels very rushed. Some main points, like Why and Who exactly is Walter should've spent much more time, which obviously they didn't have. Where's LoR sometimes felt like overly stretched and slow, this is more like "Hardcore Henry".
Overall score (without reading books) - 7-/10 (entertaining yes, but gripping story - that's a definitive no)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Ok, So I did watch the movie tonight. I haven't read the books, but even to me the story feels very rushed. Some main points, like Why and Who exactly is Walter should've spent much more time, which obviously they didn't have. Where's LoR sometimes felt like overly stretched and slow, this is more like "Hardcore Henry".
Overall score (without reading books) - 7-/10 (entertaining yes, but gripping story - that's a definitive no)
Yeah, I think "entertaining" is all we can hope for when they are forced to rush 8 novels into 90 minutes of movie.

So hopefully they can do 8 seasons of TV and develop every main character well.

The bass was pretty good when they showed the Dark Tower being attacked and the earthquakes.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis