The Best Speakers you've ever heard

B

Bloodstriker

Full Audioholic
I haven't heard enough different speakers to make a judgement on which is the best I've heard, but the most expensive I've heard must have been the Steinway & Sons Model D Music System @ $188K. Funny thing is that they are mounted up on the walls in a restuarant in downtown Vancouver and it was too noisy there to do any serious listening... what a waste!!!

http://www.steinwaylyngdorf.com/News-104.aspx

C

cornelius

Full Audioholic
Full Range: I'd have to say the mbl 101. Also a pair of Duntechs that I heard in a mastering room.
Honorable mention would be anything from Magnepan, Vandersteen, and Ohm.

Monitor: PMC AML2, Focal Solo6 Be, Dynaudio Air 15

Favorite sub/sat (I'm making up my own category): Orbs

Speaking of audio shows, I've also heard some disappointing rigs. Definitely the rooms aren't the best. But I think most of the gear at those shows just wouldn't sound good in any room...

V

Victor rODRIGUEZ

Audioholic Intern
I don't know about best, but the Celestion 3 bookshelf monitors (original acoustic suspension model, not the MKII which is ported) definitely set a benchmark for most impressive sound stage I've heard from a speaker. The sound they produce is just beautiful to my ears.
Seth I totally agree with you, the celestion series 3 and 5 are the best low budget speakers that have ever been manufactured, with my ah300 they make a happy and sexually active marriage

Attachments

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
grave digging much? it's 8 year old thread. Pretty sure we had similar threads since then.
But for original question, no doubt it's Salk SoundScape 8.

Last edited:
M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I would have to say the JBL 250 Ti. Right about the time I forget about them I get a refresher since a friend owns a pair. It's half of what perplexes me about so-called modern "advances" in audio. Before I got back into this, I had just heard those speakers and prompted me to buy the JBL S312's, just hoping to grab the essence of that sound. They ended up doing a pretty decent job of it.

B

BeatleFred

Audiophyte
I am an admirer of the ones I have, the fabulous Infinity Renaissance 90, I actually have two pairs, one in blonde oak, and the other in a rare, limited edition high gloss black lacquer. Those folks who are mostly interested in today's products might think a speaker that was introduced in 1992 might be "ancient", but I can assure- they are truly superb, love the elegant way they look, and the sound quality is fantastic. I believe the list price new back then was $3,600 for the pair (hi gloss black somewhat more). Designed by Cary Christie (as well as the Infinity Epsilon, before he left the company in 1995). They dont come up for sale too often, but for anyone interested, I highly recommend them.
REN90PHOTOFRONT.jpg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis