The Audyssey MultEQ Editor app users thread (with facts and tips)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
"Audyssey is launching a new PC-based software package working with Denon/Marantz AVRs that incorporates Audyssey technology"-Possibly gonna compete against Dirac???

I watched that video, while it would be nice toy for me, I do not feel it could do better than the App as I have seen no evidence it could do so. Since the license if not transferable, I will not be purchasing the license until my next AVR or AVP upgrade for sure.

By the way, I recently moved my couch and felt the bass off a little when was too busy to re-run Audyssey until two days ago. So I took a little time to do it and then use the App/Rat to tweak for about an hours.

The results this time are not as good as my last run/tweak that gave me less than +/- 1 dB 20 to 130 Hz vs this time's +/- 2 dB (20-300 Hz though), but last time I spent many hours to get there.

So I would say if one is happy to tweak the results only to the apparent diminishing point of return, that is, +/- 2 to 2.5 dB, it would likely only take 1 to 2 trial using Rat.

I played with Dirac Live's 2 channel trial version about two years ago and like its UI, but there was no way for it to get better results than XT32, except it did do slightly better based on the impulse response.

Here's the results after just two trial with the App/Rat, the whole process should take less than an hour to do for the front left and right channels:

1640355086348.jpeg

1640443997566.png
1640444347603.png

Last edited:
ROMisONLINE

ROMisONLINE

Enthusiast
I watched that video, while it would be nice toy for me, I do not feel it could do better than the App as I have seen no evidence it could do so. Since the license if not transferable, I will not be purchasing the license until my next AVR or AVP upgrade for sure.

By the way, I recently moved my couch and felt the bass off a little when was too busy to re-run Audyssey until two days ago. So I took a little time to do it and then use the App/Rat to tweak for about an hours.

The results this time are not as good as my last run/tweak that gave me less than +/- 1 dB 20 to 130 Hz vs this time's +/- 2 dB (20-300 Hz though), but last time I spent many hours to get there.

So I would say if one is happy to tweak the results only to the apparent diminishing point of return, that is, +/- 2 to 2.5 dB, it would likely only take 1 to 2 trial using Rat.

I played with Dirac Live's 2 channel trial version about two years ago and like its UI, but there was no way for it to get better results than XT32, except it did do slightly better based on the impulse response.

Here's the results after just two trial with the App/Rat, the whole process should take less than an hour to do for the front left and right channels:

View attachment 52577
"Audyssey is launching a new PC-based software package working with Denon/Marantz AVRs that incorporates Audyssey technology"-Possibly gonna compete against Dirac???

That sounds very promising. Does anyone know if that PC based software will only work with newer AVR’s or what the cut off models are? I have a AV7702mkII and it’s the cut off for the Marantz app. I would love to use the app again, even in PC form. Thank you for any info.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That sounds very promising. Does anyone know if that PC based software will only work with newer AVR’s or what the cut off models are? I have a AV7702mkII and it’s the cut off for the Marantz app. I would love to use the app again, even in PC form. Thank you for any info.
My understanding is all units that can use the current app can use the new one....

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I did attend the webinar, HD is correct, that all models compatible with the Editor App will be compatible with the PC based Audyssey MultEQ X.

Audyssey MultEQ Editor app - Apps on Google Play

You can check it out on the websites linked above and click on "Read More" to see all the compatible models.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I did attend the webinar, HD is correct, that all models compatible with the Editor App will be compatible with the PC based Audyssey MultEQ X.

You can check it out on the websites linked above and click on "Read More" to see all the compatible models.
Interesting to see if you can use other operating systems or even calibrated mics/files down the line. They say much about those?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Interesting to see if you can use other operating systems or even calibrated mics/files down the line. They say much about those?
Yes, they said they would work on the use of other mics. Then again, the cheap looking Audyssey mic is supposedly calibrated for the specific job and based on my experience (having plotted numerous graphs) using the popular Umik-1 and similar mics such as the Omninic is not going to gain anything imo.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, they said they would work on the use of other mics. Then again, the cheap looking Audyssey mic is supposedly calibrated for the specific job and based on my experience (having plotted numerous graphs) using the popular Umik-1 and similar mics such as the Omninic is not going to gain anything imo.
Possibly not, altho could well be a more accurate calibration file than the audyssey mics....depending. If you already had such a mic of your own on hand it would be nice to simply use it.....

ROMisONLINE

ROMisONLINE

Enthusiast

Damn……! Shafted again……Well I guess I’m just sticking to the ole’ trusty tape measure and decibel meter. Crawling around the room, although less these days, is also fun too. Ha!!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
For Rat users, below are the entries for the FR and Sub channels, also about 5 entries for the Left channel.

1640381636515.png

1640381668688.png

R

RIppolito

Audiophyte
I have read about half of this thread. It is very informative, and quite interesting.

I would like to make changes to the calibration that was derived from a set of readings via the app. When I did the calibration, I named it, and after the readings are taken, an icon appeared in the app with the title underneath.

I have several questions that I hope someone can answer...

• Is there a way to rename that calibration?
  • After I use the editor to adjust things (sub curve, turn off MRC, etc), how can I save the results in a calibration with a name that describes what I did? I it would appear as a second icon in the app with the new name underneath?
Thank you, in advance, for any help you can provide...
Ron

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I have read about half of this thread. It is very informative, and quite interesting.

I would like to make changes to the calibration that was derived from a set of readings via the app. When I did the calibration, I named it, and after the readings are taken, an icon appeared in the app with the title underneath.

• After I use the editor to adjust things (sub curve, turn off MRC, etc), how can I save the results in a calibration with a name that describes what I did? I it would appear as a second icon in the app with the new name underneath?
Ron
You can just rename the file that the app saves to the audyssey folder in your phone. Or copy it or whatever. The app will recognize the new file without issue.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

Ron
Your questions have been answered but I would like to add that before you "turn off MRC", make sure you understand what it really means. Audyssey did a poor job explaining that feature in the past so I would guess most user misunderstood what that feature really is. Many think Audyssey MRC is responsible for putting a dip at 2 kHz when it really doesn't work like that at all.

Now that Audyssey allows MRC to be "disabled", people think it is a good thing to do but they likely did so for the wrong reason. So before you do it, you may want to follow the advice of the following article:

Audyssey Midrange Compensation – On or Off? – Denon and Marantz Receivers – Simple Home Cinema

I don't agree with everything the author said in this article on the parts that seemed to be based on his own subjective experience, but on the objective side I think he is mostly correct.

R

RIppolito

Audiophyte
Your questions have been answered but I would like to add that before you "turn off MRC", make sure you understand what it really means. Audyssey did a poor job explaining that feature in the past so I would guess most user misunderstood what that feature really is. Many think Audyssey MRC is responsible for putting a dip at 2 kHz when it really doesn't work like that at all.

Now that Audyssey allows MRC to be "disabled", people think it is a good thing to do but they likely did so for the wrong reason. So before you do it, you may want to follow the advice of the following article:

Audyssey Midrange Compensation – On or Off? – Denon and Marantz Receivers – Simple Home Cinema

I don't agree with everything the author said in this article on the parts that seemed to be based on his own subjective experience, but on the objective side I think he is mostly correct.
Peng,

Thank you for the suggestions. I have both .ady files , with and without MRC, and I will listen to each and select the one I like best.
Ron

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Peng,

Thank you for the suggestions. I have both .ady files , with and without MRC, and I will listen to each and select the one I like best.
Ron
You can look at the FR too but in this case going by ears is a good way.

R

RIppolito

Audiophyte
I'm sure Audyssey had been asked this plenty of times, but have they ever said why they don't give the calibrator the option to perform a sweep with the settings/filters enabled?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm sure Audyssey had been asked this plenty of times, but have they ever said why they don't give the calibrator the option to perform a sweep with the settings/filters enabled?
The Apps should have the capability, so you should ask them the question and see what they have to say. If they do that the will be the first.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Good question. It'd be nice if you could do multiple sweeps for measuring, but also for getting an even more accurate adjustments.

R

RIppolito

Audiophyte
I have a couple of sub questions that I hope someone can help me with...

• My sub had a built in optimizer that removes the main room peak. Should I run with that optimizer enabled or disabled?
  • Should I disable the low-pass filter? If not, what would you recommend I set it to?
  • Audyssey set the fronts as 'full range', and the center and surrounds as 'small'. The sub user manual recommends making all speakers 'small', and handling all low frequencies via the sub. Should I change the fronts to 'small'?
Ron

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I have a couple of sub questions that I hope someone can help me with...
  • My sub had a built in optimizer that removes the main room peak. Should I run with that optimizer enabled or disabled? You can ask the sub manufacturer, or Audyssey that question, while waiting for their responses, I would just tried both. With the app you can save as many files as you want so it is easy run it for each scenario, just make sure you save the files with different names that can tell you which is which.
  • Should I disable the low-pass filter? If not, what would you recommend I set it to? It is easy enough to just disable it, if you disable it then there is nothing to set to, if there is no disable feature, then you set it to maximum.
  • Audyssey set the fronts as 'full range', and the center and surrounds as 'small'. The sub user manual recommends making all speakers 'small', and handling all low frequencies via the sub. Should I change the fronts to 'small'? Yes you should change it to small, then you can try different crossover set points to find out what works best for you. Not everyone can tell and decide just by listening with the ears/brains though. For me I rely mostly on using REW to plot graphs for each test, and go from there.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis