tekton - the next big thing?

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
The reason is simply that while they may not be very accurate in terms of frequency response or power response, they do something similarly priced speakers don't - big dynamics from the midbass up.
I though thats what everyone wants is a high sensitive speaker with huge dynamic output? Seems like everyone on AVS pushes Chase, JTR and eD Cinemas for anyone wanting anything to do with hometheater. Seems like there is a non stop "Gotta have high sensitivity" craze going on. I would have though Tekton would get everyone pretty excited that theres another choice for big light weight paper 10" pro audio woofers with no extension and high output tweeters.

It just seems to me everyone now judges a speaker based on whether its above a certain senstivity level.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I though thats what everyone wants is a high sensitive speaker with huge dynamic output? Seems like everyone on AVS pushes Chase, JTR and eD Cinemas for anyone wanting anything to do with hometheater. Seems like there is a non stop "Gotta have high sensitivity" craze going on. I would have though Tekton would get everyone pretty excited that theres another choice for big light weight paper 10" pro audio woofers with no extension and high output tweeters.

It just seems to me everyone now judges a speaker based on whether its above a certain senstivity level.
If you take a good long look at the math and physics involved, a high sensitive speaker makes more sense. You hit the diminishing returns quicker by producing low sensitive speakers and needing huge power amp reserves to push them. Unfortunately, that seem to be more of the trend these days. Blame it on those flat panel TVs that everyone loves.

D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
I wouldn't call them high end there top model is only around $2499 which isn't cheap but I would not consider it high end.

Have you had a chance to listen to any Tekton models?
I wouldn't waste my time, given the measured midrange power response problems I've seen (and could have guessed at just by looking at the drive units).

i also have to kind of disagree with what ds-21 wrote - after going to RMAF and hearing all the high-end speakers, i wouldn't describe the majority as being "crappy" sounding. what i WOULD say is that 99% of them didn't sound any better than my salks,
I put Salks in the same category. Anything with a large midwoofer and a tweeter on a flat flange, like this:

or this:

is damned by physics to be crappy sounding to someone used to live unamplfied music, and better speakers. Nothing says "canned music" like a mushroom cloud of midrange energy!

I though thats what everyone wants is a high sensitive speaker with huge dynamic output? Seems like everyone on AVS pushes Chase, JTR and eD Cinemas for anyone wanting anything to do with hometheater.
Watching action flicks has different demands from reproducing music with high fidelity.

Basically, for getting impact from action flicks at home all one needs is midrange clarity to hear dialogue, efficiency to reproduce the "jump factor" in sound effects, and boom to shake things around. Music requires a quite a bit more from loudspeakers.

The Tektons are probably just fine for HT, though I'd think a design with a less flawed tweeter concept, such as the Chase or JTR speakers, would be a better choice. Especially for a wider seating area.

R

Ricardojoa

Audioholic
I wouldn't waste my time, given the measured midrange power response problems I've seen (and could have guessed at just by looking at the drive units).

I put Salks in the same category. Anything with a large midwoofer and a tweeter on a flat flange, like this:

or this:

is damned by physics to be crappy sounding to someone used to live unamplfied music, and better speakers. Nothing says "canned music" like a mushroom cloud of midrange energy!

Watching action flicks has different demands from reproducing music with high fidelity.

Basically, for getting impact from action flicks at home all one needs is midrange clarity to hear dialogue, efficiency to reproduce the "jump factor" in sound effects, and boom to shake things around. Music requires a quite a bit more from loudspeakers.

The Tektons are probably just fine for HT, though I'd think a design with a less flawed tweeter concept, such as the Chase or JTR speakers, would be a better choice. Especially for a wider seating area.
So what speaker do you prefer for music? That doesnt have mushroom cloud midrange?

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
ds-21 is famous around here for only preferring a limited kind of speaker (nothing wrong with that, you like what you like). i imagine he has a whole big pile of kef's in his house. ;)

funny thing is, no matter how hard i try, i am failing to hear the mushroom cloud. or the canned music.

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
Yes after reading his post in this thread I might just have to ignore his posts. What a total joke. Its almost as if he wants to try and ruin the hobby for some people reading the threads. There a few on AVS now that are like that, they think they are such perfectionists and they know best.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have no idea what DS-21 would say, but for me, it would be speakers that are carefully designed so that directivity where driver's output overlap matches up as closely as possible, with very uniform power response. Flush mounted drivers make such directivity matching difficult to impossible, but the use of a waveguide to constrain the tweeters dispersion in the crossover frequencies will allow this. Attention to this aspect of the design results in much more room-friendly speakers, as their off axis response (which accounts for a huge amount of what hits your ears in a typical domestic sized listening room) does not detract from the overall sonic picture.

A wide-dispersion example would be the Revel Salon2. JBL LSR6332 would also be in this class.

An example of a narrower dispersion take on this would be AJ's Soundfield monitors. Their power response is a bit more constrained than the Salon, but about as uniform as can be within it's window.

And an extreme controlled directivity approach would be the Danley Synergy Horns. Very controlled, narrow directivity, but again, very uniform within that coverage area.

To my knowledge, these examples do not exhibit the "midrange mushroom", and, considering their own placement constriants, tend to play nicely in most rooms as a direct result.

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
OK, can some explain to me what "midrange mushroom" is?

For example if I'm listening to Dire Straits Brothers in Arms DVD audio, how will I know if I'm experiencing "midrange mushroom"? I've been listening to my Arx A2 LCRs all day and haven't been able to discover this "midrange mushroom".

I did a google and yahoo search for "midrange mushroom" and I couldn't find anything audio related. I think its something made up just to ***** about. I think some make stuff up to to find something bad or good about a product.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
It's just referring to the off-axis response pattern. It's typical that flush mounted drivers on a flat baffle have different coverage patterns in the crossover region, giving this lumpy off-axis, "midrange mushroom" response. DS has made a bigger fuss over this than I think it really is, but there is serious merit to the designs that give this design aspect due attention. They tend to be much more forgiving of the room they're in, and require less attention to eq-ing or room treatments.

Is it required for us to thouroughly enjoy our systems? Hell, no. I'm enjoying the crap out of my mid-fi junk to Making Movies right now. Crank it!

Last edited:
D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
So what speaker do you prefer for music? That doesnt have mushroom cloud midrange?
My long-time reference speakers (sadly, they just won't work out in my new loft - too damn wide) were Tannoy System 12 DMT II drivers in bespoke low-diffraction cabinets, under a Geddes-style multisub system using Aurasound underhung drivers. Now, I'm in a state of flux. Currently, I've rigged up KEF Q100's up front. They sound much better than one would expect $500 speakers to sound at low volumes but don't have enough meat on the lower mids (just not enough cone area) and don't look appropriate for my home because of their cheap cabinetry. I'm going to have the Soundfield Audio Monitor 1's in my home sometime in September, and they're a real option. Another option is to commission new cabinets for Tannoy System 8 NFM II drivers, though that would likely end up being a lot more expensive than AJ's speakers.

Quad's ESL-63 and their later electrostats are also wonderful, if one doesn't need loud and can put them way out into the room.

ds-21 is famous around here for only preferring a limited kind of speaker (nothing wrong with that, you like what you like). i imagine he has a whole big pile of kef's in his house. ;)
Sadly, had you written mean KEFs and Tannoys, you would've nailed it.

In the back corner of my highly in-flux new living room right now, there literally is a pile of KEFs and Tannoys: three Tannoy System 8 NFM II's atop a KEF KHT-3005SE set box and three boxes of KEF KHT-3005SE floor stands. :)

funny thing is, no matter how hard i try, i am failing to hear the mushroom cloud. or the canned music.
That's probably because you've yet to hear anything properly designed. Most "high end" audio speakers are poor designs.

I have no idea what DS-21 would say, but for me, it would be speakers that are carefully designed so that directivity where driver's output overlap matches up as closely as possible, with very uniform power response. Flush mounted drivers make such directivity matching difficult to impossible, but the use of a waveguide to constrain the tweeters dispersion in the crossover frequencies will allow this. Attention to this aspect of the design results in much more room-friendly speakers, as their off axis response (which accounts for a huge amount of what hits your ears in a typical domestic sized listening room) does not detract from the overall sonic picture.
That is all exactly what I'd say!

A wide-dispersion example would be the Revel Salon2. JBL LSR6332 would also be in this class.

An example of a narrower dispersion take on this would be AJ's Soundfield monitors. Their power response is a bit more constrained than the Salon, but about as uniform as can be within it's window.
All three excellent loudspeakers, though I'm not sure the SAM1's are actually that much narrower in pattern than the Revels or JBL monitors. The concentric driver's waveguide/cone is quite shallow, and the current Uni-Q's do the "image outside the speakers" thing that other wide-but-uniform directivity speakers do. (Narrow directivity speakers don't tend to image outside their boundaries.)

Even the Q900 throws a pretty wide pattern. The midwoofer cone is quite shallow, effectively a ~120deg waveguide. That's similar to the Harman (JBL, Revel) EOS waveguide's directivity.

OK, can some explain to me what "midrange mushroom" is?
A point source should have smoothly and progressively declining frequency response as one moves off-axis. (A line source should have the same, in the direction normal to the line.)

"Midrange mushroom cloud" is my term for an excess of midrange energy thrown out into the room by the loudspeaker, due to incompetent loudspeaker design and/or parts selection.

A a competently-designed speaker does not exhibit the midrange mushroom cloud:

KEF Ref 201/2

But an incompetently-designed one does.

Usher Tiny Dancer
(Both from Stereophile)

(Incidentally, I picked the Tiny Dancer for this illustration because of what I heard during a blind test that had these in with some competently-designed speakers.

There are four main ways of which I know to competently design a loudspeaker:

1) A waveguide on the tweeter, chosen such that it matches the directivity of the next driver down in the desired crossover region. This results in a choice of pattern. This is what Revel, JBL, Behringer, Mackie, GedLee, David Smith-era Snell, and some others do. (Yes, the $300/pair Behringer B2031p is a better speaker than most $20,000 "high end" speakers.)

2) A concentric driver, using the cone as a waveguide to set the tweeter's pattern. Tannoy, KEF, GedLee, Soundfield Audio, and others use this approach. The Danley Synergy horn is a riff on this approach, too, that has some very interesting advantages compared to a moving-cone waveguide.

Note that not all concentrics work. Some are just generally unsuitable for music reproduction, such as the awful-sounding flat Thiel diffraction generator in the 3.7. (Anyone who thinks the Q900 sounds fatiguing over time - I'm one of 'em, mind - should try out the Thiel CS 3.7 to really hear fatiguing!) Some don't use a tweeter stout enough to play down to the frequencies needed to match directivity and thus negate most of the benefits of concentric tweeter mounting, such as the previous-generation KEF xQ/iQ speakers.

3) A very small midrange and a crossover low enough such that they're both more-or-less hemisphere radiators in the crossover region. This results in uniform, but very broad, coverage. Great for an absorptive room, not so good for a live room. Good commercial examples of this approach are the Philharmonic Audio 3-ways, the NaO Note, and some NHT's. The Linkwitz Orion is also mostly in this category, due to the very very low crossover between tweeter and midwoofer.

4) An electrostat with concentric delay rings such that the speaker radiates like a section of a sphere. Quad is the only one using this approach to my knowledge. The ESL-63 and successors are outstanding speakers, if you can live with wide panels well out into the room and a narrow listening area due to the very narrow treble dispersion.

Note also that using one of these four approaches far from guarantees a good loudspeaker. Think "necessity" not "sufficiency." Furthermore, something that passes the "eyeball test" may in fact not meet the criteria. The previous-generation iQ/xQ KEF's are a good example of that.

For example if I'm listening to Dire Straits Brothers in Arms DVD audio, how will I know if I'm experiencing "midrange mushroom"?
Listen for unnatural spittiness in the lower treble of live and unamplified music, that one simply wouldn't hear in a live performance. Preferably using an A/B comparison with a known competently-designed speaker and an incompetently-designed speaker. That's the easiest giveaway. The Brothers-in-Arms DVD-A isn't necessarily the best choice, because the unnecessary mixing of instruments into the surrounds is quite distracting. It's one of those disks I'm more likely to listen to in 2-channel-expanded-to-surround-via-DPL2 than discrete multichannel.

Last edited:
F

frankie2075

Audioholic Intern
I agree im interested but there is no center channel so there for i cant use them :(

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
the center and surrounds will be on the website soon according to tekton.

R

redman33

Audiophyte
i just called tekton and he said that they have center available now for 800$. the pendragons are on a 3 week wait. If I am not using them for much music would i be happy with them in a strictly home theater situation?

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
i just called tekton and he said that they have center available now for 800$. the pendragons are on a 3 week wait. If I am not using them for much music would i be happy with them in a strictly home theater situation?
as i said above, you are asking the wrong guy here. i am far from a tekton fanboy, i have never heard them :eek: i would inquire into their trial period if you were interested.

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
$2,500 for a pair of speakers that use 2 10" pro mids and 3 sets of what look to be Vifa xt25's!!!

ummm......

And their "revision" aka smaller version includes 2 $100 CA22's. WTF

Last edited:
M

Mike in SC

Audiophyte
You can see a photo of the center if you visit the Tekton Blog referenced earlier in this thread. There are also monitors available designed for use as surround channels. No prices are listed yet but a reference to $800 for the center was made previously.

For whatever it is worth, I am aware of 7 reviews on the web, all of them very positive and there is an extensive thread on another forum comparing Tektons to Zu Omens so information is out there for those inclined to look.

I do find it interesting that we have a number of opinions here, yet no one has actually listened to the speakers.

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
Hard to really take in the sound while bent over lol. Mine is more of a fact though if I'm correct about the drivers

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
$2,500 for a pair of speakers that use 2 10" pro mids and 3 sets of what look to be Vifa xt25's!!!

ummm......

And their "revision" aka smaller version includes 2 $100 CA22's. WTF
Hard to really take in the sound while bent over lol. Mine is more of a fact though if I'm correct about the drivers
Boomer Sooner Nation shall pass on these. ;) :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis