Tales From the Rabbit Hole

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I play golf basically every weekend, so I do have another "hobby", but I'm not a member at some swank country club. It's not nearly as expensive as it sounds. Hifi music has been a passion for a long time for me as well. I told one of my golf buddies about some of my new toys and he said he's into Hifi also. He was telling me about his system and I didn't want to pre-judge. Atmos was not Chinese to him so I'll have to see what he's working with.
I used to golf a lot. The summer rates out here are fantastic. Golf doesn't have to be an expensive hobby.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
This forum is the only place where people get my excitement over this stuff. This forum also educated me a lot and helped me spend some money... :p

I don't regret it. Everything I have is bought and paid for. Some of the stuff went on a credit card, but was paid off by the end of the month. I could see some attitude from my friends it if I was going into debt and blowing off bills, but... whatever.
This stuff is like crack (idk what crack is like actually) but it sounds good to say it...lol.

My wife is cool with my hobby because I haven't created any debt...I did tell her we're going to start movie night once a week when I'm done.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
This stuff is like crack (idk what crack is like actually) but it sounds good to say it...lol.

My wife is cool with my hobby because I haven't created any debt...I did tell her we're going to start movie night once a week when I'm done.
Ha ha! My wife was cool with my hobby until I told her I got both the amp and speakers at the same time! lol. She's already lightening up a little. We'll be good.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey poges, I used these for an install of BS in a LR. Mount-It! Speaker Wall Mounts, Pair of Universal Side Clamping Bookshelf Speaker Mounting Brackets, Large or Small Speakers, 2 Mounts, 55 Lbs Capacity, Black (MI-SB37) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZE0O8U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_-IbszbCMMSZR8
They worked really nice and I think jgarcia has linked them too.
My surrounds are roughly 30lbs each and I used these.

Not sure they're available still but they do allow for any articulation you'd ever need. The "mount it" ones also articulate nicely. The hardest part might be drilling into your speakers, but nobody will ever see that when mounted anyway.
Ok. .02
I ordered the "mount it" ones since you didn't provide manufacturer or link with the ones you're using... :p

Mount it looks very good for what I need. Holds the speaker 11" from the wall too. That's a must with the Ultra bookshelf speakers being rear ported.

Gryph

Gryph

Audioholic
Ha ha! My wife was cool with my hobby until I told her I got both the amp and speakers at the same time! lol. She's already lightening up a little. We'll be good.
That's good to hear, especially since you're going to need her to help carry it all into the house.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Ohhh, that one is a little more pricey, but looks nice. I prolly woulda went with the mount it's anyway. Thanks Liam!
No prob. Had to rib a little. The main reason I bought them was I couldn't find many/any mounts to hold my tubby surrounds. 28lbs ea. They turned out to be really nice too.

2channel lover

Good. From the outset I just told my wife after 20 yrs I was building a new HT/Music system and a general idea of the overall budget...the in between stuff...I haven't bothered to tell her about and to date, she hasn't asked.

2channel lover

I used to golf a lot. The summer rates out here are fantastic. Golf doesn't have to be an expensive hobby.
I'm not very good, (80s mostly), but every now and then I'll break 80 and feel like I can play and shortly after I'll shoot a 90 something to remind me that I'm a weekend hack.

Good competition, good group of guys...fun. Golf can be expensive, but you're right, doesn't have to be.

Gryph

Gryph

Audioholic
I believe golf, like HIFI and many other hobbies can be as expensive as you want it to be.
I shoot recurve archery as a hobby and while I have a fetish for custom hand made wood/carbon bows from Scotland, I'm happy to stay in the $500-$1000 range for each riser and a bit less for limbs.
I could easily triple or quadruple that but there comes a point of diminishing returns.
I see many of the same endangered woods I love so much in bow making being used in speaker cabinet veneers and my heart rate goes up a little, unfortunately I don't live in that tax code.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
This thread is making me want to buy something and I have been good, I take can't right now. I swore my next purchase would be the Outlaw audio model 976, but not for about 4 months. Don't make me screw that promise up.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I believe golf, like HIFI and many other hobbies can be as expensive as you want it to be.
I shoot recurve archery as a hobby and while I have a fetish for custom hand made wood/carbon bows from Scotland, I'm happy to stay in the $500-$1000 range for each riser and a bit less for limbs.
I could easily triple or quadruple that but there comes a point of diminishing returns.
I see many of the same endangered woods I love so much in bow making being used in speaker cabinet veneers and my heart rate goes up a little, unfortunately I don't live in that tax code.
gryph
I believe you are on to something there about hobbies. Just about every hobby I can think of has a beginning purchase threshold to get started. Then there are the initial improvements. Then comes having a spare or "another one". Then comes specialization. Then comes "just because I can and you can't".

I knew a lady for years before I found out her hobby : she threw darts competitively. As in a professional tournament circuit for dart board folks. She traveled all over the country and even internationally to throw darts. And of course, you can't just use any darts like you'd get at Walmart. Nope. Big bucks were involved even for something I didn't even know was "a thing".

Its one of the most interesting things about hobbies: finding out how involved people get and how they justify the time and expense. Golf is a great example. Forget how much it costs (it can cost as much as any hobby) look at how much time it takes. Depending on your job, your family size, age of your kids, the WAF factor, carving out 3 to 4 hours for 18 is no small thing. Yet, golfers manage it and the expense as well.

Its one of the few concessions to growing older: I've had to cut back on the number of hobbies. I just don't have the time or the financial wherewithal to really get out and enjoy all the things I would like. So, I've cut it back to a shorter list and I get to spend more guilt free time with those I still pursue. Like music and audio.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
This thread is making me want to buy something and I have been good, I take can't right now. I swore my next purchase would be the Outlaw audio model 976, but not for about 4 months. Don't make me screw that promise up.

Hetfield:
I think that time is of the essence: who knows what may happen in the next 4 months? I hear that Outlaw model 976's are in particular short supply and may all be gone by the end of the summer. Can you risk that? How could you live with yourself? :p

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Hetfield:
I think that time is of the essence: who knows what may happen in the next 4 months? I hear that Outlaw model 976's are in particular short supply and may all be gone by the end of the summer. Can you risk that? How could you live with yourself? :p
Very funny. It's not even released yet. Been a delayed a bit, they want it ready to go without issues before they release it, but nice try.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

I assume she doesn't realize that we're never truly "done" until we die?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I assume she doesn't realize that we're never truly "done" until we die?
This is true. I love my system and I want to sell everything for PSA speakers just on what I hear on these forums. I can't, I won't but I want to. It's a dangerous hobby you get into.

2channel lover

gryph
I believe you are on to something there about hobbies. Just about every hobby I can think of has a beginning purchase threshold to get started. Then there are the initial improvements. Then comes having a spare or "another one". Then comes specialization. Then comes "just because I can and you can't".

I knew a lady for years before I found out her hobby : she threw darts competitively. As in a professional tournament circuit for dart board folks. She traveled all over the country and even internationally to throw darts. And of course, you can't just use any darts like you'd get at Walmart. Nope. Big bucks were involved even for something I didn't even know was "a thing".

Its one of the most interesting things about hobbies: finding out how involved people get and how they justify the time and expense. Golf is a great example. Forget how much it costs (it can cost as much as any hobby) look at how much time it takes. Depending on your job, your family size, age of your kids, the WAF factor, carving out 3 to 4 hours for 18 is no small thing. Yet, golfers manage it and the expense as well.

Its one of the few concessions to growing older: I've had to cut back on the number of hobbies. I just don't have the time or the financial wherewithal to really get out and enjoy all the things I would like. So, I've cut it back to a shorter list and I get to spend more guilt free time with those I still pursue. Like music and audio.
Good post...spot on.

While not an obscure hobby, but one I didn't know a lot about...table tennis. We had a "ping-pong" table for years in the basement and the kids played, but never took much interest in it. Eventually my son did take an interest and it evolved into buying paddles that cost twice what we paid for the entire table. He was going to tournaments, etc.

I can speak on the golf one...yeah, if you're into the latest and greatest golf clubs and playing at the nicest courses or being a member at a swank CC, yes, you can easily spend $10-15k a yr just to play.

But you're right, it's the time investment to practice and play that really short circuits most people that actually have an interest in the game. Like most competitive or skill oriented hobbies, if you're going to be good at it there is a time investment involved. and with golf, it's more than most. The mental side is more challenging than the physical side, but the good life image perception of golf...they can keep that.

For Hifi, once you've made the investment in equipment it can fade into the back ground and you can focus on the music...this update has been fun, but I'm looking forward to enjoying the music again.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Like others have said, I don't really have anyone that's into this stuff but me. My brother is now since he was an installer/automation programmer, but he is only into it because he wanted a job as a programmer.

I'm lucky enough as well to have a wife that appreciates good sound. She doesn't necessarily care, but appreciates it.

When I built the first theater everyone I showed it to was blown away. I think sound somehow has more impact when combined with a giant picture. Not sure why though.

This new theater will be even better. Once I get the last three speakers and the ceiling speakers I'll start installing. By the time I'm done my new receiver will be out or the one I want will be even cheaper. Either way, I'll be happy.

I also got 5 ceiling speakers for the living room just cause. My towers will be moved to my office/den until I make my 5.1 setup for that room (looooong time away).

At that point I'll have two 5.1 setups (it'll be nice to finally be able to finish my sub table for the living room) and a 7.1.4 or whatever 13 channel layout the Denon 6400h supports. Maybe.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis