Tales From the Rabbit Hole

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So, just today I went by my old workplace to pick up my last check (leftover vacation, sick pay, etc). I was expecting about $300. Turns out there's an extra zero at the end of that number and I have a little fun money on my hands. I've been eyeballing the new Monolith amps since I read about them. I was thinking about getting the 3 channel amp, but now I could just got for it and get the 7 channel. I don't know if I would ever need 7 channels, but I'd have them! I could always stick with the original plan of the 3 channel.

There are better speakers out there than what I currently have I could consider too. I already have 3 Ultra bookshelf speakers. I could get the matching Ultra towers, move the bookshelfs to surround duty and call it a day with a nicely matched system. That kind of money opens up some other options too though and I also like what I see with Salk and Philharmonic speakers. Then a center channel... have I gone over the deep end? :eek:

Or should I just go on a vacation or something? :p

Gryph

Gryph

Audioholic
You seem pretty happy with the current speakers so I'd probably do as you mention, Ultra towers and move the bookshelf speakers to surround duty.
Still leaves a grand for an amp if you decide you want a bit more juice up front.

Good luck, tuff choices.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I even have permission from my wife on this. Father's Day is my angle... :p

I'm really liking that Monolith amp. I just got the SR6011 though and it's a pretty awesome receiver on its own. My original plan being to get a 3 channel amp to offload front stage duty to it and take a little pressure off my avr. I could even explore going 7.2 or any of the various configurations with 7 (9?) speakers.

OTOH, following the rule of thumb "speakers make the biggest impact" I'm seriously considering going that direction, though I've always wanted a beefy amplifier. I'd like to get the Ultra towers and keep it in the family, but 2 grand (or a little more) also opens up other options.

I like what I've been reading about the Philharmonic BMR and Slim Towers the f3 on the BMR is pretty impressive for a speaker that size. I see Dennis also offers a matching center channel now too. As for Salk I see the SongBird and Song Towers are in the same price range as Ultra towers with the Song TowerRT and Song3 (Raal tweeters) being at the top of my budget.

This check is a complete surprise and I don't have anything in the way of credit cards or big bills looming. I'd love to take my system to the next level if possible on my budget.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You seem pretty happy with the current speakers so I'd probably do as you mention, Ultra towers and move the bookshelf speakers to surround duty.
Still leaves a grand for an amp if you decide you want a bit more juice up front.

Good luck, tuff choices.
I was typing that last post while you replied. The Ultra towers are so tempting. Everything would be matched, I already love the Ultra bookshelfs... sigh.

*Edit: There's one in the outlet with no damage for $899. There would be a hundred off for one of them.

Last edited:
Gryph

Gryph

Audioholic
Yes, the ultras give you a completely matched setup from the same line and would make a cohesive system. On the other hand the Salk speakers have been getting lots of talk and good reviews lately so it's easy to see the temptation looming before you.
Lucky for me a lifetime of gunfire and loud music have left me with brass ears, so the diminishing returns allow me to avoid some of this rabbit hole.

Again best of luck, I look forward to reading about how it plays out.

Cheers,
Gryph

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
This check is a complete surprise and I don't have anything in the way of credit cards or big bills looming. I'd love to take my system to the next level if possible on my budget.
Pogre
I am glad that the ball bounced your way this time with a nice unexpected pot o gold. That makes me feel good about shopping at your old employer even more and good about what you have the opportunity to do.

If you truly want audio upgrades, I can only wish you the best of luck in finding something that scratches that upgrade itch. I understand how irrational the itch can be. One minute you're happy with your system and the next minute up jumps the itchy and scratchy of upgraditis.

I can't add much to this discussion because I want you to be happy with what you choose and my list of things I know a lot about isn't very lengthy. Jim Salk tells me that he will be shipping my Songtowers to me next week. Hopefully by this time next weekend I will be unpacking a new set of curly cherry wonder kids. I believe another AH member just ordered a set and Jim told him "Thanksgiving'ish" for delivery. If you had a thought about Salk Songtowers, you'd have to factor in 5 months of patience as well.

Window shopping can be a fun part of the process. Enjoy !

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Phew. A 5 month lead time. That is something to factor

I just had another thought. If I go Salk or Philharmonic I'll want the matching center and I'd have an extra single bookshelf. If I get the Ultra towers I'm pretty set (can use the same center channel I already have) and like Gryph pointed out I might still be able to get that 3 channel amp.

I've always been in camp bookshelf with a pair subs. Would it be worth it to get the Ultra towers? I've been posting for months that you don't get much more from towers when you have subs, but have seen arguments supporting the idea.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Phew. A 5 month lead time. That is something to factor

I just had another thought. If I go Salk or Philharmonic I'll want the matching center and I'd have an extra single bookshelf. If I get the Ultra towers I'm pretty set (can use the same center channel I already have) and like Gryph pointed out I might still be able to get that 3 channel amp.

I've always been in camp bookshelf with a pair subs. Would it be worth it to get the Ultra towers? I've been posting for months that you don't get much more from towers when you have subs, but have seen arguments supporting the idea.
I'm with you on your traditional line of thinking: once you have achieved the level of subwoofer you have (very few folks get to where you are in my opinion) then good bookshelves are the way to match up. Most of the difference between towers and bookshelves is to get that extra lower register in the box. With what you have in subwoofers, there's no way a tower will get there. You'd be using bass management in your AVR to send all the lower register stuff to the subs anyway and not to your towers.

I think your subs already dictate your speaker choice in terms of tower or bookshelf. If you had wimpy subs, then the discussion would be open. But, you have manly subs and I think that pretty much ends the discussion (for reasonable budgets). In my case, I have a wimpy Klipsch sub and a small listening room. My Songtowers will hopefully carry the entire load with no sub and I can discontinue the Klipsch. Your subs are too awesome for that.

Gryph

Gryph

Audioholic
Perhaps it's time to move to another room and do a really nice simple 2.0 stereo system?

Or just finish off the current AV room with surrounds, heights and an amp.

Or bank it and take your wife out for a nice meal and see what pops up down the road.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm with you on your traditional line of thinking: once you have achieved the level of subwoofer you have (very few folks get to where you are in my opinion) then good bookshelves are the way to match up. Most of the difference between towers and bookshelves is to get that extra lower register in the box. With what you have in subwoofers, there's no way a tower will get there. You'd be using bass management in your AVR to send all the lower register stuff to the subs anyway and not to your towers.

I think your subs already dictate your speaker choice in terms of tower or bookshelf. If you had wimpy subs, then the discussion would be open. But, you have manly subs and I think that pretty much ends the discussion (for reasonable budgets). In my case, I have a wimpy Klipsch sub and a small listening room. My Songtowers will hopefully carry the entire load with no sub and I can discontinue the Klipsch. Your subs are too awesome for that.
My subs are pretty badass...

I think you're right about the towers. They each have a powered woofer in them that would pretty much be going to waste. I think @Marshall_Guthrie even mentioned in his review of the Ultra line that you don't really get any more from the towers other than the bass extension.

An amp is, and has been, on my want list for a long time. Really like the specs on the BMR Monitor on Dennis' website too though, and I keep reading about how amazing the Raal tweeters are. If I hadn't just bought a third UBS (will be using that to refer to my bookshelfs going forward) for my center this would be an easier choice.

I could still move the UBS to surround duty tho. I could afford the BMR and matching center channel (maybe a third BMR?) with that plan. Is there such a thing as 1 height speaker? :p
Perhaps it's time to move to another room and do a really nice simple 2.0 stereo system?

Or just finish off the current AV room with surrounds, heights and an amp.

Or bank it and take your wife out for a nice meal and see what pops up down the road.

I think I'm gonna get just the amp for now. I'll keep kicking around the speaker upgrade idea while I get used to playing with it. I just need to decide whether I want to go with 3 channels or get the 7 channel and be in good shape for whatever speakers I get down the road. Then I can still take the wife out for dinner.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Always good to have an "Oh Sh!t" fund. You did just start a business after all. :D

OR you could go with the ultra tower option (which is what I'd do IMHO).

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Always good to have an "Oh Sh!t" fund. You did just start a business after all. :D

I've drooled over the towers for a long time now. I keep coming back to, there are powered woofers in those towers, that I'm paying for, that I wouldn't really even be using. They sure would look purty with the rest of my stuff tho...

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I've drooled over the towers for a long time now. I keep coming back to, there are powered woofers in those towers, that I'm paying for, that I wouldn't really even be using. They sure would look purty with the rest of my stuff tho...
Sure you'd use them. Just because you have good subs doesn't mean you won't benefit from a more speaker with more low end range. Maybe even things out so your Audyssey curve looks prettier.

I'm just wondering if you'd get much of a benefit from an external amp. You'd obviously have more power on tap, but would you actually use it?

I'm a bang for the buck kind of guy so I always go with whatever makes the biggest impact for the lowest dollar amount.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm a bang for the buck kind of guy so I always go with whatever makes the biggest impact for the lowest dollar amount.
Hey, I really appreciate the input. That's exactly why I started the thread. That's really what I want to do with this money. I'm not jumping on anything right now. I'm too wishy washy right now to be impulse buying. I'll keep pondering and wait for some more replies.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Sure you'd use them. Just because you have good subs doesn't mean you won't benefit from a more speaker with more low end range. Maybe even things out so your Audyssey curve looks prettier.

I'm just wondering if you'd get much of a benefit from an external amp. You'd obviously have more power on tap, but would you actually use it?

Hmm... I could set a lower crossover point and let the Hsu's handle from maybe 40-60hz and down instead of 80. I'm sure whatever amp and woofer SVS has in there it's got to be good clean bass. Would that be like using the bass section of the tower as a mid bass module?

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai

I second the notion on the emergency fund. A properly stocked emergency fund provides peace of mind that is absolutely priceless. Buy something you want (not necessarily something you need) so you can scratch that upgrade itch. Then sock some away for peace of mind. Can't beat that.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I might just order that 7 channel amp, a heavier equipment rack or tv stand and bank the rest. I don't currently have the room for an amp and the cheap stand I have right now would probably crack in half inside a week. Or maybe just get the 5 channel and have a little more for the stand.

I'm pretty sure that would scratch my itch and leave me with a nice chunk left over for an oh poop fund, though I do have a very healthy one right now, even without that check... we've already covered quite a few expenses for starting up. I'm in pretty good shape right now and I have free time on my hands for about another 3-4 weeks until my classes start.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Pm'd....
I know you've teased the ultra tower idea for a while. As you know, I'm a tower guy. And while that is still true, I agree with your statements about X amount for BS or tower will get you better BS by way of materials. IMO that's why you just save longer. Taking money out of the equation, towers are better. More/bigger/higher sensitivity etc. Kinda like how two subs can measure the same, but deliver a different experience. My usage is 90% HT, 90% music so I might look at it differently than you. You are more music-centric, so if I were in your shoes, I'd call Ed Mullen, and have a talk. Test drive the ultra towers with a 3 or 2 channel amp and sit back and stroke my beard(metaphorical) in deep contemplation of keeping them.
Or!!! Keep the UBS's and do an atmos install with some prime elevation speakers using the new ceiling mounts. FTW!!!
Again, sorry for the hit n run, but life is a roller coaster right now.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Another direction I could go is, get the amp and maybe a pair of SVS Prime Elevation speakers or satellites. Those might work pretty nice as height speakers for 5.2.2. I have an old pair of Sony SS-B1000's collecting dust. I could even go with a 9 speaker configuration. A frankensystem for sure there!

I keep thinking amp because no matter what I have for speakers now or down the road, I'll be able to use that amp. It also opens up more options for speaker selection/number of speakers I can use without turning my receiver into a glowing red metal box. I have a very large space that we watch TV and listen to music in. I have room to play. I do want to be careful not to turn my living room into a showroom though.

I'll tell ya, a couple more subwoofers popped into my head too, but I really am pretty happy with the bass I have now. I don't need a flat response throughout the entire house. :p

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Pm'd....
I know you've teased the ultra tower idea for a while. As you know, I'm a tower guy. And while that is still true, I agree with your statements about X amount for BS or tower will get you better BS by way of materials. IMO that's why you just save longer. Taking money out of the equation, towers are better. More/bigger/higher sensitivity etc. Kinda like how two subs can measure the same, but deliver a different experience. My usage is 90% HT, 90% music so I might look at it differently than you. You are more music-centric, so if I were in your shoes, I'd call Ed Mullen, and have a talk. Test drive the ultra towers with a 3 or 2 channel amp and sit back and stroke my beard(metaphorical) in deep contemplation of keeping them.
Or!!! Keep the UBS's and do an atmos install with some prime elevation speakers using the new ceiling mounts. FTW!!!
Again, sorry for the hit n run, but life is a roller coaster right now.
Ha! I just sorta kinda proposed more speakers in my setup while you were posting! lol

I kinda forgot about the 45 day free trial with SVS... I could get both the 3 channel and the towers. If I don't think the towers add much I can always send them back. I think I could even get the 5 channel and still get the towers. I'm starting to feel some conviction for a decision now...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis