SVS vs Klipsch ? what to choose

N

nyckid565

Enthusiast
Hello all I need some help in deciding on a new audio for home theater. I have decided between SVS and Klipsch. I like the fact that i can get SVS equipment and return it if not happy. I am not sure if Klipsch does the same thing. But for SVS does anyone have the SVS Ultra Bookshelf speakers 5.1 only with sub ??? i want to hear your opinions on SVS vs Klipsch and also what you recommend for SVS ultra booksshelf speakers or prime towers with ultra for surrounds? for the rears i will be using a amp and svs wifi accessory to connect the speakers as i cant run wires.

I have a open loft style apartment no not the best situation.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Klipsch speakers have a horn tweeter that can lead to listening Fatigue. I suggest you sit in front of them for a extended period of time to form your own evaluation.
SVS's aren't as forward more Neutral. Great build quality great components great drivers excellent outstanding customer service they get my vote over the Klipsch

I like the Prime Pinnacle Towers over the regular Primes

Last edited:
N

nyckid565

Enthusiast
Klipsch speakers have a horn tweeter that can lead to listening Fatigue. I suggest you sit in front of them for a extended period of time to form your own evaluation.
SVS's aren't as forward more Neutral. Great build quality great components great drivers excellent outstanding customer service they get my vote over the Klipsch
i would like to listen to svs but i have not been able to find a location that has them. Whats your thoughts on the ultra bookshelf 5.1 system and add a svs sub to it? or using the prime towers?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
The SVS Ultra bookshelves are some of the best at their price point. I can't think of too many speakers that would compete with it other than spending more money. I myself do like those Prime Pinnacle Towers

And you can order the SVS listen to them in your house get your own opinion on them. If you don't like them SVS has a nice return policy. Like I said before SVS's customer service is really really outstanding

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Which klipsch?the RP series is supposed to be very good. Imo, the ultra BS are where I’d go. I am a tower guy all the way, but it’s about you so... To answer your question about the pinnacle towers with ultra BS as surrounds, I wouldn’t do that. The ultras are really great and imo a 5.1 ultra BS system would be great for most listeners.
@Pogre
He has owned ultra BS AND towers and can give you much better info as far as usage. Iirc, the pinnacles seem to have a tweeter that’s not liked by some. Good news is you can send them right back! Klipsch you can’t...

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
It depends on which Klipsch speaker you are considering.
However, as a general rule, for 100% HT, I would lean slightly towards Klipsch (Reference Premiere or better, not Reference!)
But if HT plus music at more than say 20% music, I would go with Ultra Bookshelf.
(when tuned right, the Reference Premeire are very good, but you really have to be willing to devote serious time to tweaking the toe-in to get it just so, due to the nature of the directivity of the horns. The SVS are more forgiving)
@Pogre is very familiar with the SVS ultra bookshelf speaker!
If you go with SVS and if money is tight, I recommend that you be patient and keep your eyes out for SVS B-stock - the SVS Ultra BS typically is $400 each there and usually any blemish is difficult to find (they will include photos and a deeper discount if more conspicuous damage exists)!

My recommendation would be these at $700 as better speakers than the Ultras:
(also in white if your preference)

However, I fully understand that the risk-free return on the Ultras is worth a lot in assurance that you are getting what you want and SVS is excellent to deal with!

N

nyckid565

Enthusiast
It depends on which Klipsch speaker you are considering.
However, as a general rule, for 100% HT, I would lean slightly towards Klipsch (Reference Premiere or better, not Reference!)
But if HT plus music at more than say 20% music, I would go with Ultra Bookshelf.
(when tuned right, the Reference Premeire are very good, but you really have to be willing to devote serious time to tweaking the toe-in to get it just so, due to the nature of the directivity of the horns. The SVS are more forgiving)
@Pogre is very familiar with the SVS ultra bookshelf speaker!
If you go with SVS and if money is tight, I recommend that you be patient and keep your eyes out for SVS B-stock - the SVS Ultra BS typically is $400 each there and usually any blemish is difficult to find (they will include photos and a deeper discount if more conspicuous damage exists)!

My recommendation would be these at $700 as better speakers than the Ultras:
(also in white if your preference)

However, I fully understand that the risk-free return on the Ultras is worth a lot in assurance that you are getting what you want and SVS is excellent to deal with!

So if I go with the Klipsch here is my selection, I use for 99% movies and regular tvt, streaming movies.

front:
Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-8000F (pair) - $958
Center:
Klipsch RP-504C Center Channel Speaker - $520
Surround sound:
Klipsch RP-502S Surround Sound Speakers- $600
Subwoofer:
Klipsch R-120SW Subwoofer, Black - $390

Receiver: not sure here are some options:
1- Denon AVR-X4700H 8K Ultra HD 9.2 Channel (125 Watt X 9) AV Receiver 2020 Model - $1700
2- Denon AVR-X4500H Receiver - 8 HDMI In /3 Out, High Power 9.2 Channel Amplifier (125 W/Ch) $1200
3- Marantz AV7705 - 11.2 Channel AV Audio Component Pre-Amplifier -1800

If I go with SVS I am not 100% sure yet.

Center : ultra center
Fronts: either Pinnacle Towers or 5.1 Ultra Bookshelf speakers
Sub: SB2000 or SB3000
Rears: again either Ultra surround or Ultra Bookshelf
*** will need amp to make surrounds wireless***

Suggestions on a 2 channel 100-150 amp??

Last edited:
N

nyckid565

Enthusiast
Which klipsch?the RP series is supposed to be very good. Imo, the ultra BS are where I’d go. I am a tower guy all the way, but it’s about you so... To answer your question about the pinnacle towers with ultra BS as surrounds, I wouldn’t do that. The ultras are really great and imo a 5.1 ultra BS system would be great for most listeners.
@Pogre
He has owned ultra BS AND towers and can give you much better info as far as usage. Iirc, the pinnacles seem to have a tweeter that’s not liked by some. Good news is you can send them right back! Klipsch you can’t...

No Pinnacle with Ultra surround speakers? then what would you recommend to pair with the Pinnacle fronts for the rears?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
No Pinnacle with Ultra surround speakers? then what would you recommend to pair with the Pinnacle fronts for the rears?
You got Prime surrounds you have the Prime elevation speakers to choose from

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I’d use prime bookshelves for surrounds. As much as I advocate quality surrounds, it doesn’t make sense to use the better speaker in the rear.

N

nyckid565

Enthusiast
You got Prime surrounds you have the Prime elevation speakers to choose from
No possible. I can only have 1 pair of speakers (wireless) behind me due to building apartment rules I can't drill to run wires. so I will use the SoundPath Wireless Audio Adapter from SVS with an amp.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
No possible. I can only have 1 pair of speakers (wireless) behind me due to building apartment rules I can't drill to run wires. so I will use the SoundPath Wireless Audio Adapter from SVS with an amp.
Okay so you have the prime wireless speakers

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I'd skip the Klipsch sub either way and get an SVS sub. I was not impressed with the Klipsch RP series when I listened to them. I'd be inclined to go with SVS over them.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Just my opinion based on both the speaker's Klip & SVS you're looking at. The Denon 3600 or 4500 would save you a little bit of cash still giving you the connectivity and horsepower you need to put the money into the speakers and subwoofer

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
SVS. SVS has much better subs and superior center speaker designs. Klipsch has a great tower in the RP-8000F and some decent lower budget offerings, but some of their other stuff has been pretty mediocre.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
So if I go with the Klipsch here is my selection, I use for 99% movies and regular tvt, streaming movies.

front:
Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-8000F (pair) - $958
Center:
Klipsch RP-504C Center Channel Speaker - $520
Surround sound:
Klipsch RP-502S Surround Sound Speakers- $600
Subwoofer:
Klipsch R-120SW Subwoofer, Black - $390

Receiver: not sure here are some options:
1- Denon AVR-X4700H 8K Ultra HD 9.2 Channel (125 Watt X 9) AV Receiver 2020 Model - $1700
2- Denon AVR-X4500H Receiver - 8 HDMI In /3 Out, High Power 9.2 Channel Amplifier (125 W/Ch) $1200
3- Marantz AV7705 - 11.2 Channel AV Audio Component Pre-Amplifier -1800

If I go with SVS I am not 100% sure yet.

Center : ultra center
Fronts: either Pinnacle Towers or 5.1 Ultra Bookshelf speakers
Sub: SB2000 or SB3000
Rears: again either Ultra surround or Ultra Bookshelf
*** will need amp to make surrounds wireless***

Suggestions on a 2 channel 100-150 amp??
Klipsch
Speakers look good, but I would go with a different subwoofer!
If you are committed to Klipsch, get this one (expected back in stock 11/10/20) it is an older model, but a much better design than the one you listed:

This seems to be a new trend in audio marketing where a product gets replaced with a new design, but instead of deep sixing the older model, they continue to produce and sell it at a discount!
The sub I linked is a bargain at $400 ($250 discount) and was replaced by the Klipsch SPL-120 which is $689.

AVR
Avoid the Marantz units unless the port window styling is worth the added cost to you. The Denon is largely the same (they are made by the same company) and the HDAM circuitry Marantz brags about actually adds measurable (but not audible) distortion.
Personally, I would go with a Denon AVR-X3500 to 3700 and take the money saved to put into a second subwoofer. Having a second sub helps even out the room resonance modes of the bass, which is audible. I would not expect any audible difference between a 3700 and a 4700 AVR especially since you will never use close to the power capability of the 3X00 model and you are only driving 5 channels.
Most importantly, the 3X00 models (like the 4X00 models) you are considering have Audyssey XT 32 with the capability to add the $20 phone/tablet app to allow you to better tune your system and integrate the bass without needing to turn your listening room into a test lab!

SVS
I would go with Ultra BS over Pinnacle towers. Reason being the Ultra will have better mids and highs, I assume your apartment does not have a very large room where you would need the extra loudness that the Pinnacle is capable of, and the sub(s) will handle the bass better than the Pinnacles can.
For center, simply use another Ultra BS (assuming it is not too tall to put under TV). It will be a a perfect match to your mains. Center channel speakers are an audio compromise in order to fit between the cabinet and the TV, but if you are using bookshelf speakers, you can often fit under the TV. (Note that a center speaker usually also offers more SPL than the bookshelf model, but the Ultra is no slouch on this count).
It looks as if your SVS budget is substantially higher than your Klipsch! I was not expecting to see you list SB2000 or SB3000 for sub options! I would rather see you go with dual R-112SW's than a single SB2000 or 3000, but dual SVS SB2000 or 3000 would better yet!

Amp for surrounds
I would get this for $350:

It uses a Hypex Class D amp module, has a nice "auto-sense" on/off feature, has independent L & R level controls (on the back with a set and forget intent), light weight and efficient, and able to handle 4 Ohm loads with out any hiccups.
You probably have not heard of Niles because they generally are sold to the custom installation market (where the home owner says "here's $25,000, set up a sound system in my home" and the installer takes care of all product selection, wiring, installation, setup, etc.). Thus, Niles amps are designed to be installed in a utility-A/V closet and be forgotten! They run cool (but do need some ventilation) and have been very reliable. The price is very good and seems a very good choice for your wireless surrounds (though more power than you likely need).

Last edited:
N

nyckid565

Enthusiast
Klipsch
Speakers look good, but I would go with a different subwoofer!
If you are committed to Klipsch, get this one (expected back in stock 11/10/20) it is an older model, but a much better design than the one you listed:

This seems to be a new trend in audio marketing where a product gets replaced with a new design, but instead of deep sixing the older model, they continue to produce and sell it at a discount!
The sub I linked is a bargain at $400 ($250 discount) and was replaced by the Klipsch SPL-120 which is $689.

AVR
Avoid the Marantz units unless the port window styling is worth the added cost to you. The Denon is largely the same (they are made by the same company) and the HDAM circuitry Marantz brags about actually adds measurable (but not audible) distortion.
Personally, I would go with a Denon AVR-X3500 to 3700 and take the money saved to put into a second subwoofer. Having a second sub helps even out the room resonance modes of the bass, which is audible. I would not expect any audible difference between a 3700 and a 4700 AVR especially since you will never use close to the power capability of the 3X00 model and you are only driving 5 channels.
Most importantly, the 3X00 models (like the 4X00 models) you are considering have Audyssey XT 32 with the capability to add the $20 phone/tablet app to allow you to better tune your system and integrate the bass without needing to turn your listening room into a test lab!

SVS
I would go with Ultra BS over Pinnacle towers. Reason being the Ultra will have better mids and highs, I assume your apartment does not have a very large room where you would need the extra loudness that the Pinnacle is capable of, and the sub(s) will handle the bass better than the Pinnacles can.
For center, simply use another Ultra BS (assuming it is not too tall to put under TV). It will be a a perfect match to your mains. Center channel speakers are an audio compromise in order to fit between the cabinet and the TV, but if you are using bookshelf speakers, you can often fit under the TV. (Note that a center speaker usually also offers more SPL than the bookshelf model, but the Ultra is no slouch on this count).
It looks as if your SVS budget is substantially higher than your Klipsch! I was not expecting to see you list SB2000 or SB3000 for sub options! I would rather see you go with dual R-112SW's than a single SB2000 or 3000, but dual SVS SB2000 or 3000 would better yet!

Amp for surrounds
I would get this for $350:

It uses a Hypex Class D amp module, has a nice "auto-sense" on/off feature, has independent L & R level controls (on the back with a set and forget intent), light weight and efficient, and able to handle 4 Ohm loads with out any hiccups.
You probably have not heard of Niles because they generally are sold to the custom installation market (where the home owner says "here's $25,000, set up a sound system in my home" and the installer takes care of all product selection, wiring, installation, setup, etc.). Thus, Niles amps are designed to be installed in a utility-A/V closet and be forgotten! They run cool (but do need some ventilation) and have been very reliable. The price is very good and seems a very good choice for your wireless surrounds (though more power than you likely need).
WOW Kurt thanks for the detailed response. I was and am under the assumption SVS is a great Audio brand, I am not married to SVS so if there is better sound quality i am all up for it as long as its not going to run me 10K :) as far as AVR, I was choosing something more thna I will ever do with at this point in time but in 1 year when I buy a house I would like to have the option of having multi room options, and ability to add speakers to my system and make it a more 9-11 speak system and not be limited to 5.1 system.

Thank you on the recommendation on the amp.. that fits in perfectly with what i need.

so to summarize it all you saying i should look into the Ultra Bookshelf Surround System for $2500 and add dual subs?

Luis

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
Hello all I need some help in deciding on a new audio for home theater. I have decided between SVS and Klipsch. I like the fact that i can get SVS equipment and return it if not happy. I am not sure if Klipsch does the same thing. But for SVS does anyone have the SVS Ultra Bookshelf speakers 5.1 only with sub ??? i want to hear your opinions on SVS vs Klipsch and also what you recommend for SVS ultra booksshelf speakers or prime towers with ultra for surrounds? for the rears i will be using a amp and svs wifi accessory to connect the speakers as i cant run wires.

I have a open loft style apartment no not the best situation.
Klipsch speakers are much too harsh for me. I have never understood how they became so popular.
My vote, SVS and it's not even a question.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Klipsch speakers are much too harsh for me. I have never understood how they became so popular.
My vote, SVS and it's not even a question.
Five years ago, I agreed with you, but they have changed there sound significantly.
Have a look at the frequency response and review:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis