SVS Ultras vs Revel M16's

M

Mitchapalooza

Audiophyte
Hi.

I am looking to replace my existing HTD Level Three bookshelves with something that'd be a considerable upgrade. The ones that have caught my eye are the SVS Ultra Bookshelves, Revel Concerta2 M16's, and Focal Aria 906's.

I don't think the 906's have been reviewed yet, but the Ultra's and M16's are both about the same price and reviewed at 4.5/5 for overall performance.

Use would be a mix of music, gaming, and movies. The source is a Denon X3300W.

Thank you in advance for any help :)

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Hi.

I am looking to replace my existing HTD Level Three bookshelves with something that'd be a considerable upgrade. The ones that have caught my eye are the SVS Ultra Bookshelves, Revel Concerta2 M16's, and Focal Aria 906's.

I don't think the 906's have been reviewed yet, but the Ultra's and M16's are both about the same price and reviewed at 4.5/5 for overall performance.
Some info here -- when it is all said and done, it is about your ears and preference period.
https://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php/equipment-reviews/768-focal-aria-906-loudspeakers

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/focal-aria-906-compact-loudspeaker/

https://www.whathifi.com/focal/aria-906/review

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
It would cost $500 more with Amazon Prime, and their so-called free 2 day shipping.
Really? Amazon does not price match? Not sure if they do or not. I do NOT buy much from Amazon. That is why I never went w/Prime. But, sure have bought a lot of gear from Acc4less all w/o a hitch.

Cheers,

Phil

M

Mitchapalooza

Audiophyte
The forum is giving me a really hard time with posting a reply. Something about "inappropriate content". EDIT: It finally let me post after changing the word "out-let" to "store".

Not sure I want to have three speakers sets on hand at once. Do you guys think I should try the Focals, or Revels alongside the Ultras? I found a pair of "undamaged" SVS Ultras in their store for $300 off. Can't argue with a 45 day trial period..

Not sure if this helps provide a reference point, but I absolutely loved the sound of the Paradigm 75F's I auditioned when my buddy was building his system. The 3D imaging and uncolored sound was incredible. Could have used a little more low end...but of course that was solved by ordering the 85F's.

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Not sure I want to have three speakers sets on hand at once. Do you guys think I should try the Focals, or Revels alongside the Ultras? I found a pair of "undamaged" SVS Ultras in their store for $300 off. Can't argue with a 45 day trial period..
I would test the Focal against the Ultras

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I only have experience with the Concerto2s, but they were terrific speakers. However, those Focal's boast some excellent measurements. I would also be looking at Polk LSiM speakers and maybe Ascend Sierras in this price bracket. Also see what RBH has.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I only have experience with the Concerto2s, but they were terrific speakers. However, those Focal's boast some excellent measurements. I would also be looking at Polk LSiM speakers and maybe Ascend Sierras in this price bracket. Also see what RBH has.
Very good recommendations Shady. However, I would like to add one more: The Philharmonic Mini. As long as the OP has a capable sub or subs, then the Phil Mini's should be in high contention inmho. Here is a link to the Phil Mini's:

http://philharmonicaudio.com/Mini-Monitor.html

With a capable sub, the Mini's should easily hold their own. At least, based on my reading. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
This is a change of speakers for L/R only or L/R/C ? Or?

Flojoa

Flojoa

Audiophyte
Guys I need help choosing speakers!
Focal aria 906 or svs ultra bookshelfs no other brands! I have speedwoofer 10s to use with them, I will appreciate your recommendation!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Guys I need help choosing speakers!
Focal aria 906 or svs ultra bookshelfs no other brands! I have speedwoofer 10s to use with them, I will appreciate your recommendation!
So start a thread of your own?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Very good recommendations Shady. However, I would like to add one more: The Philharmonic Mini. As long as the OP has a capable sub or subs, then the Phil Mini's should be in high contention inmho. Here is a link to the Phil Mini's:

http://philharmonicaudio.com/Mini-Monitor.html

With a capable sub, the Mini's should easily hold their own. At least, based on my reading. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil
Hey Speakerman! Hope all is well. Word is that Dennis is only doing BMRs and Phil3s going forward. bit of a bummer, but there's hope he'll post the designs on murphyblaster! :)

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, Dennis posted on AVS that he was going to scale things down a bit. Personally, I think that it is a very good idea. It has never been about the money for Dennis. But, rather sharing his passion for this hobby. Just hope and pray that he is taking better care of his health and getting some much needed rest. Have been keeping Dennis in my prayers.:)

Cheers,

Phil

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis