SVS ultra bookshelf Vs def tech.

M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
I had Boston VR3 towers and Boston 920 center in my living room. When I put down hardwood last week in the living room wife wanted me to bring up my def tech bookshelf 450 studio monitors from basement. They actually sound pretty good. I was thinking of selling my Boston’s and getting the svs ultra bookshelf and center. Will these be a noticeable difference in sound from my def techs?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
The SVS Ultra bookshelf speakers should be much better sounding.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
That's a tough call I haven't heard the Def Tech bookshelves in a long long time but the Ultra bookshelves are really nice. To compare the two is kind of hard, my suggestion and recommendation would be you can purchase the SVS try them in your home against the Def Techs. See which ones you like. You could always return the SVS. I also would suggest taking a look at these which I do believe would be an upgrade over your Def Tech

I haven't heard these myself, but a few on here have and they are highly recommended

More bookshelfs you should consider

Canton Vento 9.2

Canton Vento 836.2

JBL HDI 1600

Last edited:
H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
That's a tough call I haven't heard the Def Tech bookshelves in a long long time but the Ultra bookshelves are really nice. To compare the two is kind of hard, my suggestion and recommendation would be you can purchase the SVS try them in your home against the Def Techs. See which ones you like. You could always return the SVS. I also would suggest taking a look at these which I do believe would be an upgrade over your Def Tech

Now this suggestion of Ascend Acoustics I agree with.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
Thanks guys. I am def going to sell my Boston’s

D

D Murphy

Full Audioholic
I had Boston VR3 towers and Boston 920 center in my living room. When I put down hardwood last week in the living room wife wanted me to bring up my def tech bookshelf 450 studio monitors from basement. They actually sound pretty good. I was thinking of selling my Boston’s and getting the svs ultra bookshelf and center. Will these be a noticeable difference in sound from my def techs?
I haven't heard the Def Tech's, but I have been up to my ears in the Ultra's. In absolute terms, they're a pleasant enough speaker unless you're waaaay younger than I am and have acutely sensitive hearing above 15 kHz, where the Ultra's take off like a rocket. They do have a slightly recessed response in the mid-treble due either to a deliberate voicing decision, a consequence of a sub-optimal high pass filter, or both. I have a pair here with a reworked crossover that measures much better and I think qualifies as a truly accurate speaker. I can send you before and after measurements if you email me at info@philharmonicaudio.com Oh--did I mention they're for sale?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I haven't heard the Def Tech's, but I have been up to my ears in the Ultra's. In absolute terms, they're a pleasant enough speaker unless you're waaaay younger than I am and have acutely sensitive hearing above 15 kHz, where the Ultra's take off like a rocket. They do have a slightly recessed response in the mid-treble due either to a deliberate voicing decision, a consequence of a sub-optimal high pass filter, or both. I have a pair here with a reworked crossover that measures much better and I think qualifies as a truly accurate speaker. I can send you before and after measurements if you email me at info@philharmonicaudio.com Oh--did I mention they're for sale?
Very cool, Dennis! Are you thinking of releasing the XO upgrade on Murphy Blaster?

M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
I ended up going w the svs ultras and very happy with them

M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
I am very impressed by the build of these compared to my def techs. But I loved the def techs too. These little speakers sound amazing. Very accurate and clear. Watched midway last night and was blown away by the sound. These are really beautiful speakers. Happy I got them.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Don't know if your into Sade but listen to her vocals on them

D

DocSteve

Enthusiast
I bought the D-11s when they first came out. I used them as side/rear surrounds in a 5.2.4 system. I upgraded my system last year to SVS Prime Pinnacles with matched center channel. Also with dual SVS Pb 1000's Pros and 4 prime elevations. I couldn't justify replacing D11's with the prime ultras bookshelves. They sounded great and look really nice on on 28 inch stands and they have a killer sound with the racetrack on top. Good low bass. I also like the fact that DefTech grill covers are magnatically attach and SVS do not.
One important thing is SVS Customer Service is incredible. I had some issues with dual Subs and we figured it out that putting them kitty corner and going wireless would be the best way of installing them. SVS also does a web cast on YouTube and Facebook every 2 weeks and it is not just buy their stuff, it is also reviews of films and how to install home theaters and it is in usable language not nerd talk. With a question and answer period.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis