SVS Prime Center Channel or Ultra?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
As many of you know by now I'm currently using a Deftech CS 8040HD as my center channel in between my Ultra bookshelf speakers. I've managed to get by alright using it. My main goal was for 2 channel listening anyway as I don't watch a lot of tv. I do like renting Blu Rays now and then though and turning it up for somewhat of a theater experience.

Odd as it is, the timbre matching isn't that distracting or annoying to me. I don't know if it's because of my tinnitus and I have trouble hearing the difference in timbre (the 8040 does seem a little bit brighter), that I don't watch a lot of tv or if it's just close enough (both speakers have aluminum dome tweeters?) that it's not a huge issue for me.

Why am I asking about SVS? It bugs the crap out of me that they don't match. That's it. Just drive me nuts. I've been holding out for the Ultra, but that won't happen for quite awhile. SVS say that the Primes are timbre matched to the Ultras and they would match up a lot better aesthetically than the Deftech. And I would be able to get it a lot sooner.

82-325-011-13-256x192.jpg

5707726_ra-200x200.jpg

svs_prime_center_center_channel_loudspeaker_system-320x247.jpg

That Prime center is a 3 way design, right? Probably better than what I have by a longshot. I'm now considering getting the Prime Center. I've never heard anything from their prime series though. Given my listening habits, I think the Prime would do it, or should I hold out for the Ultras? WWYD?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I think you should try the prime, you get 45 days as you know. You can't go wrong. As someone that is a bit OCD it would drive me insane that I had two different brands of speakers so I understand that part. I think the prime will sound much better than what you have now.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
OCD or not, I'd get the matching one even if you don't use it all the time. Surrounds are a different story and you can get away with it, but it is best to match the center.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
OCD or not, I'd get the matching one even if you don't use it all the time. Surrounds are a different story and you can get away with it, but it is best to match the center.
I agree from someone that has exact matching Def Tech SM 65 mains and center. Working out great for me. Sounds incredible.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It could be worth a shot to try the Prime and I am sure you'll like it, but if you try the Ultra too, I don't think there will be a question.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
My advice is to get another SVS Ultra bookshelf speaker and use it as center. It will not have the off-axis lobing patterns inherent in traditional centers like the ones you are considering. It will only cost a little bit more than the Prime center but not as much as the Ultra center, and be better performing than both. It will also be a truly matching speaker unlike those center speakers. Of course, you will want to raise your TV a bit to make that happen, but I think it is worth it. It will also not use as much shelf space as the center speakers, and it will be a bit easier of an electrical load on your AVR than those center speakers.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
My advice is to get another SVS Ultra bookshelf speaker and use it as center. It will not have the off-axis lobing patterns inherent in traditional centers like the ones you are considering. It will only cost a little bit more than the Prime center but not as much as the Ultra center, and be better performing than both. It will also be a truly matching speaker unlike those center speakers. Of course, you will want to raise your TV a bit to make that happen, but I think it is worth it. It will also not use as much shelf space as the center speakers, and it will be a bit easier of an electrical load on your AVR than those center speakers.
I agree with that, again as someone that has matching Definitive Technology SM 65s for mains and center channel. I don't think I'll ever go back to a traditional center channel again. This is better.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I, also, would agree another BS Ultra would be the best way to go (and cost less as well).

However, have you spent any time listening to your system without the DefTech center.
It's free to try aside from the time to unplug your center, reconfigure your AVR, and run Audyssey.
IME, with good speakers like you have, it works very well; and may beat your current setup. Sure, get the Ultra BS or Center, eventually; however, while you are saving up, do a comparison of Phantom Ctr vs DefTech Center.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I love that, but I'd have to get creative to make it fit. As it is now, there's no room.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I, also, would agree another BS Ultra would be the best way to go (and cost less as well).

However, have you spent any time listening to your system without the DefTech center.
It's free to try aside from the time to unplug your center, reconfigure your AVR, and run Audyssey.
IME, with good speakers like you have, it works very well; and may beat your current setup. Sure, get the Ultra BS or Center, eventually; however, while you are saving up, do a comparison of Phantom Ctr vs DefTech Center.
I will have to try that. I can get by using phantom mode and sell the 8040 for the new speaker. I'll tell ya, it would be doable in my room, but I'm not sure how I'd like the tv up that high. Is there a standard height for displays?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of getting another Ultra Bookshelf for my center. It's even less than the gloss black matching prime center and a perfect timbral match. I'm just wondering if the money saved is going to have to go to a wall mount for my tv. The little blocks I have it up on now are great, but taller ones I think would look pretty odd.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
From Wikipedia "Optimum HDTV viewing distance":
Screen height
Consideration should also be given to the height at which the screen is placed. A common suggestion is that the viewer's eyes are horizontally level with the bottom or middle of the display, so that the screen does not overpower the viewer. THX recommends that a viewer’s head should not have to look up more than 15 degrees.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Love the ultra BS idea. That would be perfect. IMO, all speakers should be timber matched.(if you can help it). New surrounds next? Lol
Who knows, you might get used to taller blocks, or just do the wall mount. Their pretty cheap these days. I gotta find your other thread and look at your room again.
But wait, I thought you could only mount a flat panel above a fireplace?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I will have to try that. I can get by using phantom mode and sell the 8040 for the new speaker. I'll tell ya, it would be doable in my room, but I'm not sure how I'd like the tv up that high. Is there a standard height for displays?
Don't know if you need it, but also consider whatever chair you use...can you recline it or combine ottoman with pillow under mid back to end up in a comfortable position with your head naturally tilted?
Best to try the blocks (as cheap option) to test out how high is too high before committing.

The good thing about waiting for funds is it gives you time to better evaluate any decision before you lock it in (though SVS gives you another 45 days before it really gets locked in!)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
From Wikipedia "Optimum HDTV viewing distance":
Screen height
Consideration should also be given to the height at which the screen is placed. A common suggestion is that the viewer's eyes are horizontally level with the bottom or middle of the display, so that the screen does not overpower the viewer. THX recommends that a viewer’s head should not have to look up more than 15 degrees.
I really think that won't be an issue. I can lean my head into the head rest of my recliner very comfortably, and when I look straight ahead I see the top of my tv. I can go higher. Thanks for posting that.
Love the ultra BS idea. That would be perfect. IMO, all speakers should be timber matched.(if you can help it). New surrounds next? Lol
Who knows, you might get used to taller blocks, or just do the wall mount. Their pretty cheap these days. I gotta find your other thread and look at your room again.
But wait, I thought you could only mount a flat panel above a fireplace?
Fireplace?!? :confused: Well I don't have one of those. If I do raise it up I don't think I'll have much choice other than mounting it on the wall.
Don't know if you need it, but also consider whatever chair you use...can you recline it or combine ottoman with pillow under mid back to end up in a comfortable position with your head naturally tilted?
Best to try the blocks (as cheap option) to test out how high is too high before committing.

The good thing about waiting for funds is it gives you time to better evaluate any decision before you lock it in (though SVS gives you another 45 days before it really gets locked in!)
Yup, I have a recliner. Like I said above, I won't have to tilt my head more than 15° and that's without leaning the recliner back.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-audio-gear/2827153-fs-svs-ultra-center-channel-speaker-glossy-piano-black-finish.html

Just posting should the OP decide to opt for the Ultra center. Not a bad considering it was an "A" stock product!

Phil
Like I said above, I think I'm going with another bookshelf. I can get one of those for 399 in their outlet. I got lucky and got a real nice pair from there for $798. I also like the idea of having a "spare" in case something should happen to one of them.

Thank you for finding that for me though. That's the best price I've seen, and I've been looking. I have it bookmarked now and set up an alert if there are any more posts.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
One thing, I think I could put my receiver on top of the tv stand for much, much better airflow with a bookshelf. I'm gonna need a couple things up there with that speaker anyway so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. I'm gonna start looking around for a mounting kit. I'll post any findings here so you guys can let me know if it's junk or not.

The scheming has begun. I have some wife massaging to do...

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Sorry. The fireplace thing was a crude joke aimed at every house build I see with a "perfect" spot for a tv above the fireplace. I loathe that, but I digress. Sorry.
Wife massage? Better make it full body!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Sorry. The fireplace thing was a crude joke aimed at every house build I see with a "perfect" spot for a tv above the fireplace. I loathe that, but I digress. Sorry.
Wife massage? Better make it full body!
Oh! Ha ha! Yeah, installer humor. I got it now.

Yeah, that's the fun part of the massaging. The rest is gonna take a lot of finesse.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Oh! Ha ha! Yeah, installer humor. I got it now.

Yeah, that's the fun part of the massaging. The rest is gonna take a lot of finesse.
Lol. I think I can usually finesse some humor in, but I'm pretty well shot for this day. Long one...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis