SVS PB13-Ultra vs PB-4000 Compared!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
When do you get your PB4000 subs? My HSU subs arrive tonight. I already have my SVS wireless kits so just waiting for fedex. My dolly and furniture sliders are ready for work. :)
Hey my friend! Ahhhhh! I'm so jealous!!!! :DI just spoke to my sales rep at Bjorn's today they've been shipped but still haven't arrived. Down here in Texas we've been hit by the perfect storm practically so its probably slowing things down. My guess is they'll probably be here Wednesday or Thursday. I'll be at work tho and won't be off till Saturday. The cool thing is Bjorn's is going to bring them to me on Saturday if they arrive late. That's really cool of them. And then I bribed some friends to help me get the feet on and slide em into place I definitely got my sliders and everything ready to go!!!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The Hsu subs won't really need furniture sliders. If I recall they are only 60 lbs or so. Relatively easy to move around.
You gotta send us some pics and impressions once you get an set up! Oh and how'd your new floor go?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Hey my friend! Ahhhhh! I'm so jealous!!!! :DI just spoke to my sales rep at Bjorn's today they've been shipped but still haven't arrived. Down here in Texas we've been hit by the perfect storm practically so its probably slowing things down. My guess is they'll probably be here Wednesday or Thursday. I'll be at work tho and won't be off till Saturday. The cool thing is Bjorn's is going to bring them to me on Saturday if they arrive late. That's really cool of them. And then I bribed some friends to help me get the feet on and slide em into place I definitely got my sliders and everything ready to go!!!
Sorry to rub it in but dual HSU subs are installed in my living room as of 15 min ago! o_O

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The Hsu subs won't really need furniture sliders. If I recall they are only 60 lbs or so. Relatively easy to move around.
You know the only thing that kind off irks me with SVS? For they're higher end models you'd think you'd get the subdude isolation feet already installed or as a free option. But I can understand why they just don't put em on there may be some people that don't want them. Still it would be nice you know?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
You gotta send us some pics and impressions once you get an set up! Oh and how'd your new floor go?
Ya flooring and baseboards project is progressing slowly. But I got enough down to setup the subs in 3.2 :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Sorry to rub it in but dual HSU subs are installed in my living room as of 15 min ago! o_O
Ahhhhhhhhh!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek: I'd love to be you right now! This is gonna be the longest work week of my LIFE!!! Saturday is so FAR AWAY!!! If I can somehow find the strength to make it till then once they're here I guarantee you guys are going to hear all about it!!! :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Hey maybe you and Gene can suggest that to em adding on the feet as a free option for purchase! Who knows they just might go for it. And think of all the grateful SVS owners who will forever sing you guys praises!!! Lol

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You know the only thing that kind off irks me with SVS? For they're higher end models you'd think you'd get the subdude isolation feet already installed or as a free option. But I can understand why they just don't put em on there may be some people that don't want them. Still it would be nice you know?
Certainly cost is a part of that. But I think it is also a matter of aesthetics. The isolation feet do not look as cool as the simple feet they have now. The lower to the floor the sub is, the nicer it looks. They do use the isolation feet on the cylinder models since the regular feet wouldn't give the down-firing cones nearly enough excursion clearance. Another thing is I don't think the isolation feet are going to really help isolate enclosure vibration when the enclosure is already so massive. At 150 lbs., the PB-4000 isn't moving anywhere, and whatever rocking motion that cabinet experiences wouldn't be damped as much by isolation as a lighter enclosure.

Besides that, for whatever good the mechanical isolation is doing, it might also have some adverse effects as well. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. If the motion of the driver is actually moving the cabinet, then you want that cabinet to be as immobile as possible to get the most motion out of the cone. The more you mechanically decouple the cabinet from the ground, the more the cabinet's reactive motion can negate the motion of the cone. I don't advise getting the subwoofer isolation feet for its isolation properties, I advise getting them so the subwoofer can be safely lifted by hand if needed. Peronally, I don't think mechanical isolation feet are really helping reduce vibrations that much, at least for competently constructed subwoofers. I think they might only be useful on flimsy flooring situations.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Ahhhhhhhhh!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek: I'd love to be you right now! This is gonna be the longest work week of my LIFE!!! Saturday is so FAR AWAY!!! If I can somehow find the strength to make it till then once they're here I guarantee you guys are going to hear all about it!!! :)
These are great right out the box in 1 port mode. :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Certainly cost is a part of that. But I think it is also a matter of aesthetics. The isolation feet do not look as cool as the simple feet they have now. The lower to the floor the sub is, the nicer it looks. They do use the isolation feet on the cylinder models since the regular feet wouldn't give the down-firing cones nearly enough excursion clearance. Another thing is I don't think the isolation feet are going to really help isolate enclosure vibration when the enclosure is already so massive. At 150 lbs., the PB-4000 isn't moving anywhere, and whatever rocking motion that cabinet experiences wouldn't be damped as much by isolation as a lighter enclosure.

Besides that, for whatever good the mechanical isolation is doing, it might also have some adverse effects as well. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. If the motion of the driver is actually moving the cabinet, then you want that cabinet to be as immobile as possible to get the most motion out of the cone. The more you mechanically decouple the cabinet from the ground, the more the cabinet's reactive motion can negate the motion of the cone. I don't advise getting the subwoofer isolation feet for its isolation properties, I advise getting them so the subwoofer can be safely lifted by hand if needed. Peronally, I don't think mechanical isolation feet are really helping reduce vibrations that much, at least for competently constructed subwoofers. I think they might only be useful on flimsy flooring situations.
Man you really gave some very good points there. I know when I put those feet on the PB 2000's there was a crazy sound from my chimney that was just gone after they were put on. Do you think because those are lighter cabinets that's why they helped? So what your saying is in the long run decoupling such a heavy sub like that from the floor may effect performance? The reason I'm asking is I have friends to help me slide them into place. Also my floors are hardwood but not on a peir beam they're on a concrete slab foundation. The reason I'm asking is 2 fold. First Id rather not have to tip them over and risk marring that gloss finish and also risk damaging the bottom by installing the metal part of the feet against the bottom. And 2 I'd rather save the money. That's a 150 bucks I can get back since I bought the 2 6 packs of feet.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Man you really gave some very good points there. I know when I put those feet on the PB 2000's there was a crazy sound from my chimney that was just gone after they were put on. Do you think because those are lighter cabinets that's why they helped? So what your saying is in the long run decoupling such a heavy sub like that from the floor may effect performance? The reason I'm asking is I have friends to help me slide them into place. Also my floors are hardwood but not on a peir beam they're on a concrete slab foundation. The reason I'm asking is 2 fold. First Id rather not have to tip them over and risk marring that gloss finish and also risk damaging the bottom by installing the metal part of the feet against the bottom. And 2 I'd rather save the money. That's a 150 bucks I can get back since I bought the 2 6 packs of feet.
I think on a concrete floor, the isolation feet won't have any audible effects whatsoever. It may still be worth getting them because the standard feet only allow 1/2" of clearance from the ground- that is just a tad smaller than most adult males' fingers, so it is a bit of a hazard, especially when setting the sub down by hand.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Even the PB-4000s are going to be very tough to manage by yourself. Those are 153 lbs. each. You will want furniture sliders to get them into place. If you don't have help from a friend who is in good shape, you might think about changing your order to PC-4000s. A PC-4000 is something a healthy adult can manage alone, and it gives up no performance to a PB-4000.

Standard mode would be good, but I would opt for extension mode and then run the room gain compensation control to tame any deep bass boom. You ought to think about getting a USB calibration mic like a Umik, so you can measure the response and adjust it accordingly.
Hey Shady the 4000's are set in place. You weren't kidding about moving them. The finger clearance issue is a pain in the ass. Would it be okay to just leave the carpet sliders underneath them? I'm just worried if they're powerful enough having those sliders underneath could create issues. But it would be nice to keep them under there so they can be moved for adjustments etc.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hey Shady the 4000's are set in place. You weren't kidding about moving them. The finger clearance issue is a pain in the ass. Would it be okay to just leave the carpet sliders underneath them? I'm just worried if they're powerful enough having those sliders underneath could create issues. But it would be nice to keep them under there so they can be moved for adjustments etc.
I'm sure the carpet sliders won't cause any problems. Go ahead and leave them there until you have final positioning for the subs.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I'm sure the carpet sliders won't cause any problems. Go ahead and leave them there until you have final positioning for the subs.
Thanks for the info hell I might just leave them they're permanently im only kinda kidding those beautiful beasts like you said are extremely tough too move

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The 4000's feet may make an impression in the carpet slider pads that will never fully expand back, but the sub and sound will be fine!

My Rythmik E15HP's are not near so heavy as your 4000's but I have had the sliders under them for over a year now.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for the info hell I might just leave them they're permanently im only kinda kidding those beautiful beasts like you said are extremely tough too move
So you play any songs yet? Think you mentioned dub step? Can’t remember exactly what you used to calibrate? :)

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The 4000's feet may make an impression in the carpet slider pads that will never fully expand back, but the sub and sound will be fine!

My Rythmik E15HP's are not near so heavy as your 4000's but I have had the sliders under them for over a year now.
Oh man thanks KEW your a life saver because having those sliders underneath makes pulling it out or making adjustments so much easier :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
So you play any songs yet? Think you mentioned dub step? Can’t remember exactly what you used to calibrate? :)
Man I've got everything plugged in and positioned but first I've gotta rerun room correction. And if I remember right I have to do it for each sub separate. I have two outputs but the reciever doesn't have individual channel control. Once that's dialed in I'll always start with deadmau5's something inside me the electro remix. Just a great basshead song or Zak Hemleys Don't get in my way off the album Ronin. Both songs have complicated fast all over the range bass that if you get right well doing movies next is a snap usually. Then I always go to Blade runner 2049 for movies. One of my new faves and I've got ceartin favorite scenes that I've watched over and over again that I have a good feel for so I can dial it in just right. Although I really like the ability to have 3 presets so I might just make one for movies one for music. It's just a pain in the butt because if you do it you gotta do room correction all over again for each preset because I would do extended mode for movies and standard mode for music but my goal is to be lazy and just find an extended mode that I like enough for music or movies! :p

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Even the PB-4000s are going to be very tough to manage by yourself. Those are 153 lbs. each. You will want furniture sliders to get them into place. If you don't have help from a friend who is in good shape, you might think about changing your order to PC-4000s. A PC-4000 is something a healthy adult can manage alone, and it gives up no performance to a PB-4000.

Standard mode would be good, but I would opt for extension mode and then run the room gain compensation control to tame any deep bass boom. You ought to think about getting a USB calibration mic like a Umik, so you can measure the response and adjust it accordingly.
Hey Shady I've been playing around with the PB 4000's for a month now and I love them. Running them in extended mode. Now I want to run them for a month in standard mode see what if feels like going to run Audyssey again this afternoon and set it up. One note I felt I may have encountered that deep bass boom you were talking about. It's only happened once on the Lycan scene in Underworld Awakening. When Selena first faces that huge ass It can how do you use the room gain compensation mode? Is it on the app?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis