SVS PB13-Ultra vs PB-4000 Compared!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
SVS has recently discontinued the venerable PB13-Ultra 13" ported subwoofer and replaced it with their new PB-4000. Price remains the same but there are numerous upgrades to the PB-4000 that makes this subwoofer such a compelling, class leading product in its category. The PB-4000 takes a radical shift in terms of amplifier technology and makes some major changes in enclosure construction.

To find out what SVS has done to improve on their classic, proven design, read our full review with comprehensive measurements of the PB-4000 to determine if it's time for you to upgrade your subwoofer.

Pros
  • Extremely linear response all the way down to 16 Hz
  • Very good distortion behavior
  • Nice looking for a large subwoofer
  • Excellent build quality
  • Great customer service and warranty
  • Innovative controls carried down from the 16 Ultra Subwoofers
Cons
  • Heavy- 153 lbs.
  • Cabinet feet don’t give fingers much clearance

Read: SVS PB-4000 Ported Subwoofer Review

This is our official discussion and support thread for this exciting new product.

pb4000.jpg

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Nice write up James. Those are some good distortion numbers. Just one question, why wasn't the sub off the ground like some of your other measurements :p

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Nice write up James. Those are some good distortion numbers. Just one question, why wasn't the sub off the ground like some of your other measurements :p
I haven't ever measured a sub off the ground? I think it would be possible to get good measurements that way though. I don't think you would see a significant change in ground plane measurements if the sub were actually elevated off the ground- so long as the mic is resting on the ground and there is a consistent distance between the mic and sub.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I haven't ever measured a sub off the ground? I think it would be possible to get good measurements that way though. I don't think you would see a significant change in ground plane measurements if the sub were actually elevated off the ground- so long as the mic is resting on the ground and there is a consistent distance between the mic and sub.
Just was busting your chops about the weight. The sub definitely has had the benefit of a lot of R&D over the last 10 years or so. I dont think I've ever meet an owner that was disappointed.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Testing the sub way above ground like you might a speaker doesn't sound too fun logistically....

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Testing the sub way above ground like you might a speaker doesn't sound too fun logistically....
Free air testing a subwoofer the same way that we quasi-anechoically test speakers would be insane. You need at least one sound wavelength of distance from the nearest surface of the lowest frequency that you are testing. So if you wanted to test down to 20 Hz, for example, you need that sub and microphone to be at least 56 feet off of the ground and away from any large structure. Supposedly Axiom Audio used to do this with their subs. There is no good reason to do that which I can understand.

K

kini

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the write up. Terrific as usual. I'm guessing the PC4000 would quite similar? I really like the PC form.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thanks for the write up. Terrific as usual. I'm guessing the PC4000 would quite similar? I really like the PC form.
Yes, the PC-4000 would perform the same. To be honest, I prefer the cylinder form myself, since it's easier to lift and move around, although its not as pretty as the box enclosure.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Hey Shady great writeup I really enjoyed it. Since you guys have helped me in learning how to evaluate different subs it really looks like they came out with a great overall product. Those numbers from 16 Hz up to 50 Hz are really really good. I'm assuming giving up a little in the low low end and in midbass range they're relying on users loving what they hear from the low end that you can hear and that a lottof users will have good speakers to fill in that 60 to 80 Hz range that can afford this sub anyway. Man if my rhythmik deal falls through I'll definitely have to keep my eye on these. Sometimes I wish that extra price that they put in making the appearance look good they'd put in squeezing out those last few pieces of performance but that's the basshead in me. I underdstand why they do it. Hell it's worked for them so far although the app so you can do everything from your chair basically is super cool. For the lazy me! :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Yes, the PC-4000 would perform the same. To be honest, I prefer the cylinder form myself, since it's easier to lift and move around, although its not as pretty as the box enclosure.
Well my friend I'm going to give these a shot. Rhythmik just was too hard as you said with logistics to pick up those subs. We're flash flooding all week here in San Antonio so I had to cancel the pickup and the moving company. And I thought about do I really need that much sub even in this space? It's not like it's an 8500 foot theater room. So Bjorn's g
Hey Shady I bought the dual PB 4000's. Too make a long story short too many problems trying to transport the Rhythmiks by myself.
I could use your insight on a few points.
First measurements is it really 30 inches deep? I'm asking because when I measured the PB 16 ultra today at Bjorn's it was 27.7 inches deep without the grill. That would give me a lot more wiggle room where they need to go. I'm hoping it's the same case with the 4000's they actually hopefully measure less without the grill. I'm never having it on anyway. Lol
Second I spoke to Ed today at SVS he's gonna help me calibrate them when they get here. He made an interesting point stating in a room my size it would be best to run them in standard mode. He had some good points behind it. I'm thinking since I'm getting a 6db boost I understand not perfectly in all frequencies depending on my room interactions but in general that's about right yes? Then really it shouldn't matter with duals which way I'm going to run them or do you think I should run them both in standard mode as well? Once again an excellent writeup. Thanks for any advice you can give.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
sgive.sorry about the doublevposting I actually deleted that first post or thought I did anyway

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I’m thinking my cats might think the cylinder subs are cat scratching posts.... Is the material of the cylinder fabric or something else?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Well my friend I'm going to give these a shot. Rhythmik just was too hard as you said with logistics to pick up those subs. We're flash flooding all week here in San Antonio so I had to cancel the pickup and the moving company. And I thought about do I really need that much sub even in this space? It's not like it's an 8500 foot theater room. So Bjorn's g

Hey Shady I bought the dual PB 4000's. Too make a long story short too many problems trying to transport the Rhythmiks by myself.
I could use your insight on a few points.
First measurements is it really 30 inches deep? I'm asking because when I measured the PB 16 ultra today at Bjorn's it was 27.7 inches deep without the grill. That would give me a lot more wiggle room where they need to go. I'm hoping it's the same case with the 4000's they actually hopefully measure less without the grill. I'm never having it on anyway. Lol
Second I spoke to Ed today at SVS he's gonna help me calibrate them when they get here. He made an interesting point stating in a room my size it would be best to run them in standard mode. He had some good points behind it. I'm thinking since I'm getting a 6db boost I understand not perfectly in all frequencies depending on my room interactions but in general that's about right yes? Then really it shouldn't matter with duals which way I'm going to run them or do you think I should run them both in standard mode as well? Once again an excellent writeup. Thanks for any advice you can give.
Even the PB-4000s are going to be very tough to manage by yourself. Those are 153 lbs. each. You will want furniture sliders to get them into place. If you don't have help from a friend who is in good shape, you might think about changing your order to PC-4000s. A PC-4000 is something a healthy adult can manage alone, and it gives up no performance to a PB-4000.

Standard mode would be good, but I would opt for extension mode and then run the room gain compensation control to tame any deep bass boom. You ought to think about getting a USB calibration mic like a Umik, so you can measure the response and adjust it accordingly.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I’m thinking my cats might think the cylinder subs are cat scratching posts.... Is the material of the cylinder fabric or something else?
They are fabric. A cat might be tempted to go at it. I think there are chemicals you can apply to things to keep cats away? Maybe that is a solution?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
They are fabric. A cat might be tempted to go at it. I think there are chemicals you can apply to things to keep cats away? Maybe that is a solution?
Hmm. Ya probably not something I can control. Those PB2000 have a metal grill. That might be more practical. Something to think about.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Hmm. Ya probably not something I can control. Those PB2000 have a metal grill. That might be more practical. Something to think about.
So far I've never heard of anybody having cats go after em. I can testify to the metal grills. One day my dog got mad at me and pissed on my PB 2000 the turd! Thanks to that grill he never even hit it and it washed right off the grill! That dog is smart tho he knew exactly where to hit me where it hurt the most! Little bastard!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Even the PB-4000s are going to be very tough to manage by yourself. Those are 153 lbs. each. You will want furniture sliders to get them into place. If you don't have help from a friend who is in good shape, you might think about changing your order to PC-4000s. A PC-4000 is something a healthy adult can manage alone, and it gives up no performance to a PB-4000.

Standard mode would be good, but I would opt for extension mode and then run the room gain compensation control to tame any deep bass boom. You ought to think about getting a USB calibration mic like a Umik, so you can measure the response and adjust it accordingly.
I've got two buddy's who can help we all work psych nursing and it can get pretty intense physically if our patients are aggressive so we're all in pretty good shape. Yeah Ed from SVS is gonna help me calibrate them. I already ordered the measuring Mic and some other stuff so I can get it dialed in just right. I'll let you know how it goes. Yeah I agree I figure with the boost from running duals I might as well just run em deep mode and eq out any issues. I'd love to do the cylinders but since they both sound best on that front wall with the towers I figure Id rather go with the boxes. Like you said in the piano gloss man those things are beautiful

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
So far I've never heard of anybody having cats go after em. I can testify to the metal grills. One day my dog got mad at me and pissed on my PB 2000 the turd! Thanks to that grill he never even hit it and it washed right off the grill! That dog is smart tho he knew exactly where to hit me where it hurt the most! Little bastard!
So that’s why the 2nd sub you sold was $10 cheaper... LOL :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis