SVS PB13-Ultra vs PB-4000 Compared!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I wouldn't think that the SUB1200 has a sophisticated limiter.
Agreed, that is what I meant when I said:
Obviously, budget constraints do not allow exotic controls in a $150 sub,: yet, somehow, Dayton Audio appears to limit the signal in such a way as to allow the sub to gracefully deal with a signal that is beyond its capability.
Is there an easy way of detecting if this is happening?
Too bad you don't review this sub, it is not a $600 sub, but it does behave very nicely for $150, and it would be good to have your evaluation/measurements!
If it is reaching the mechanical limits (which makes sense given the price), I am impressed with how inoffensively it does it!
I set a pair of these up at my girlfriends house and am always impressed at how well they work given the cost.
I don't think of them so much as real subwoofers, but they have a lot to offer to a pair of bookshelf speakers (PIO BS-22).

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Is there an easy way of detecting if this is happening?
If the Dayton is using limiters to keep the driver out of danger, one thing to look for is a rocketing group delay on the low end. Filters will always cause phase distortion, and the more severe the filters, the more phase distortion you will see in the form of group delay.

It would be interesting to really dig into the behavior of one of these cheap subs. Josh Ricci did a few, the Cadence CSX-15 mk2, the Bic PL-200, and the Premiere Acoustics PA-150, and that is the kind of behavior I would expect to see with the Daytons: peakish response, very limited low-end output, and only simple filters.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis