SVS PB 16 Ultra worth buying ?

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
it sounds awesome!! Just seeing from people who have it, does it really sound that much better at low volume.. No dealer to check it out
When you can’t hear a demo I rely on reviews. Shadyj is James Larson staff reviewer here at audioholics. You could reread his above post and his review.

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
I would think even at low volume it would sound better with the same content

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
it sounds awesome!! Just seeing from people who have it, does it really sound that much better at low volume.. No dealer to check it out
Reminds of this one time when I heard a lot of people talk about some speakers and subs and next thing you know I had like 12 pairs of speakers in my house, including Revel Salon2, B&W 802D2, Linkwitz Orion3.2.1, KEF Reference 201/2, Philharmonic 3, etc. :eek:

Takeaway message: hearing people talk is very dangerous on your wallet. :D

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Revel salon 2s are the holy grail at Audio Science Review and its disciples crave them. I’m a member there too. Didn’t buy them though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Revel salon 2s are the holy grail at Audio Science Review and its disciples crave them. I’m a member there too. Didn’t buy them though.

Dunno, Genelecs seem to be bigger favorites. Has Amir even measured his pair? Too big to put on the machine, innit?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

I bought my Salon2 brand new for $14K. Sold them about a year later for about $10K.

Nothing is worth anywhere near that price in my holy-grail book.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
What kind of dB levels are we talking about here as being "low volume"?

The benefits of the PB 16 come with it's deep bass output and improved headroom over the Klipsch. If you're not playing it loud or listening to music with a lot of very deep bass it's quite unlikely you'll notice a difference.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Acudeftechguy—you place value on something I would guess. I like the quest for better but mostly the forced learning that comes from making decisions and then the setup and use.

vader540is

vader540is

Full Audioholic
how limited?? that was my concern, I could never justify 6000 for two subs, I can make one happen...
I've owned a PB16 Ultra and it didn't impress me at all. I used to a own a PB4000 before.

IMHO you're better off with a Rythmik FV18 or a Power Sound Audio TV1812.

Or spend more on a JTR cap 2400 ULF.

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
Ok. Thank you everyone. I appreciate all the help.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Ok. Thank you everyone. I appreciate all the help.
I hope your happy with whichever decision you make. Honestly I feel your in a win win

Your already happy with the sound so save 3000 bucks and invest it in other parts of your theater

Or go with a killer sub and then a year or 2 later replace the last Klipsch with another version of that sub

I honestly think if your going to spend that kind of money I would in your shoes go with a Monolith 16 ultra. Those are designed to he a SVS ultra 16 killer and they are indeed an SVS ultra assassin for $700 dollars less

Or Rhythmik as someone mentioned heck for 3000 get that FV25HP that dual 15 monster would slaughter that SVS. So would the Monolith 215 Power Sound Audio would be great as well. For 3000 there's a lot if great subs out there that can outperform the SVS

But if you need the app and love the look that's a great sub the SVS PB16. If your room isn't too big you may not need the extra output or headroom those other options provide

Good luck keep us posted on what you ultimately decide to do!

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
Pulled the trigger on a new PB 4000 Piano Gloss, I will keep you posted Decided on that one because I felt
the PB16 was over kill for my room..

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Pulled the trigger on a new PB 4000 Piano Gloss, I will keep you posted Decided on that one because I felt
the PB16 was over kill for my room..
Ohhhh I owned the PB 4000 great sub looking forward to your impressions congrats!

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
I watch movies at about -17 music about -45 I have a Yamaha RX-Z9 I will not let that go yet....

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
I had some 115sw's too. I sold them and got a Monolith M-215 when it was on a really good deal. I don't regret it because assuming it works I should be set with that one for a LONG time.

But, I'll say that there might be a bit of bloat that you are used to with the Klipch that seems like extra bass that the SVS won't have because it has less distortion. I noticed that when a got a SVS PB2000 vs the 115sw. But the PB4000 is a whole lot more of a sub then my 2000 is so you might be blown away from the get go!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I had some 115sw's too. I sold them and got a Monolith M-215 when it was on a really good deal. I don't regret it because assuming it works I should be set with that one for a LONG time.

But, I'll say that there might be a bit of bloat that you are used to with the Klipch that seems like extra bass that the SVS won't have because it has less distortion. I noticed that when a got a SVS PB2000 vs the 115sw. But the PB4000 is a whole lot more of a sub then my 2000 is so you might be blown away from the get go!
Agreed. The “bloat” is probably a bump in the native FR. Probably in the 50hz range.
I think it’s common to feel like this makes for a “bassier” sub. But you’re right. That’s straight distortion. And people do get used that unfortunately.
Nothing like pure clean linear bass.

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
SVS was nice and gave a 60-day trail. Again, my living room is L shaped which is open to my dining room.
18 ft wide, my seating is 15 ft from front wall which is where my tv and rack is. Front wall to back of L is 22ft, the L shape itself is 8FT wide... SVS said two PB-4000S would be overkill

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
SVS was nice and gave a 60-day trail. Again, my living room is L shaped which is open to my dining room.
18 ft wide, my seating is 15 ft from front wall which is where my tv and rack is. Front wall to back of L is 22ft, the L shape itself is 8FT wide... SVS said two PB-4000S would be overkill
Overkill? What's that? :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis