SVS PB 16 Ultra worth buying ?

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
I have two Klipsch R-115 sw . subs 1 in front and 1 in back of an L Shaped living room.. I was wondering if it would be worth upgrading 1 R-115 to the PB 16 ? I would replace the 1 up front with the PB16.. All of my speaker distances are 11 to 12 feet from my seating location again L shaped, The total depth is probably 20Ft where the L goes back.. My back is against the wall where im 11 to 12 feet from my Audio gear and sub... I understand the sub is better but I do not have the money to buy two .. Would it be a bad idea to run 1 R-115 in back and the PB16 UP front, just wonering if adding 1 PB16 would be smart in my small room Thank you!!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The PB16-Ultra will have way more deep bass than the Klipsch subs. Yes, it's worth it, if you want some serious deep bass output.

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
ok didn't know if it would drown out the R-115 in back

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
ok didn't know if it would drown out the R-115 in back
Bass is omnidirectional if you have the subs setup right you won't be able to hear where it's coming from anyway. All you'll notice is your bass just got better.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
If shadyj recommended the upgrade that advice is golden. He is the audioholics senior speaker reviewer and likely reviewed the Ultra.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Of course two PB16s and replacing the Klipsch would be better :) You're somewhat limited by the lesser sub....

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
how limited?? that was my concern, I could never justify 6000 for two subs, I can make one happen...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
how limited?? that was my concern, I could never justify 6000 for two subs, I can make one happen...
To the limits of the lesser sub, but that depends on how you set it up, too. Are you needing the additional extension or output the PB16 offers over your Klipsch? Are you reaching some sort of spl limits with your Klipsch now? Maybe adding a third Klipsch is another alternative?

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
not exceeding at all, I just love the look of it... I only listen at low levels while my family sleeps... Movies will turn it up a bit

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
I DONT EQ anything.. I just run level and distance

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
so it will be leveled the same as the Klipsch will it really sound that much different with Death metal ?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm not into death metal but does it have deeper bass than the Klipsch provide? I've not noticed such myself at least. Sometimes you can put the lesser sub nearfield so as to limit it's output needs. To me it doesn't sound like the PB16 would have a particular advantage in your use, tho.

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
Thats been my concern, does it really Sound that much better... Or its it only worth it if you are cranking the hell out of it.. I just thought it would imporve my low end and low volume

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
. No the Klipsch sound great.. However always looking to improve if it makes sense

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
how limited?? that was my concern, I could never justify $6000 for two subs, I can make one happen...
I can't either. :D

Question: in your opinion, how does the BASS sound NOW in your setup?

You said that you don't EQ anything, meaning you don't EQ the bass at all. I would play around with EQ on the subs first and see how that sounds before spending $6,000 or even $3,000. :D

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
lol i REALLY like the looks of it just trying to be smart

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
it sounds awesome!! Just seeing from people who have it, does it really sound that much better at low volume.. No dealer to check it out

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why would it sound better at low volume? It's advantages might be as you turn the volume up or feed it lower frequency content....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis