SVS PB-1000 & SB-1000 Powered Subwoofers Preview

tn001d

tn001d

Senior Audioholic
I am not happy with theses new subs

The PB-1000 is NOT as good as the previous PB10-ISD/NSD models. Those subs were monsters. And two of those subs would out do a single PB12-NSD. In fact there were articles and test reviews on that in the past somewhere. I own two of the them.

This new PB sub, is smaller and less SPL than the old one.

As far as the new SB. Its not worth buying when you can get the SB-12NSD for a little more.. The SB12-NSD comes close to the performance of the PB10-NSD. I also own one of these subs.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
I am not happy with theses new subs

The PB-1000 is NOT as good as the previous PB10-ISD/NSD models. Those subs were monsters. And two of those subs would out do a single PB12-NSD. In fact there were articles and test reviews on that in the past somewhere. I own two of the them.

This new PB sub, is smaller and less SPL than the old one.

As far as the new SB. Its not worth buying when you can get the SB-12NSD for a little more.. The SB12-NSD comes close to the performance of the PB10-NSD. I also own one of these subs.
well, the PB10NSD was discontinued because it's size was too close to that of the sledge PB12NSD. (footprint for PB10NSD and old PB12NSD is 15x21 and 18x25 ; PB1000 and sledge PB12NSD is 15x18.5" and 17x22 iirc) so it only follows that they needed a smaller and cheaper model below the PB12NSD

the PB1000 won't be as strong as the PB10NSD due to the smaller size...

BUT, people are already buying the 1000's because of their size (and price)
and dual PB1000's still beat a single PB12NSD in output.

i use an SB1000 over the SB12NSD for my PC setup, because of 1) size 2) price. i figure, since i only use my PC setup for music, there's no sense in spending more for the SB12NSD (which i agree can stand alone in any system).

granted, over there in the US, $150 difference doesn't seem that much. but over here where the pockets are a lot smaller, i'm seeing a lot of buzz about the price point.

i was actually one of those bugging SVS to release entry level subs (cheaper than the PB10NSD) because friends would go for other b&m brands in the price and size range.

Last edited:
R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I wish manufacturers would get rid of that God awful black ash finish.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
The PB1000 looks pretty good in person. The finish is a deep black color, darker then most. It sounds pretty good too...

I have a few other subs to review before I can get to this one, but I wanted to hook it up for a little while to get an idea of what to expect. There's only about 3 hours on it thus far -- a little music, and Monday Night football for the most part -- so it's tough to formulate much of an opinion, but from what I've heard up to this point I'd say SVS has done a fine job. One things for sure; I doubt too many people would walk into my house now and think I was using a sub with only a 10" driver.

R

ridikas

Banned
I completely agree! Just horrible. Especially vinyl black ash. Or any vinyl finish for that matter. If it has to be done on a budget, it MUST be just simply painted matte black, or textured black (Britex), etc. Bravo to HSU for doing just that. Take note SVS. That ugly vinyl wrap needs to go ASAP!

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm excited but the new SVS subs and for a change, they are selling them at the same price ain the US and Canada (Sonicboom). However, I can help but think that for an extra $50, the Outlaw LFM1Plus would be a better bang for the buck. However, if size is a constraint, the SVS would be an excellent consideration.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
What else are you reviewing?
I'm not telling. :D

Remember this thread? I already have 5 sitting here, and I'm expecting another 5 or 6 before the end of January. If that happens I may have to play "name that sub" again... ;)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I completely agree! Just horrible. Especially vinyl black ash. Or any vinyl finish for that matter. If it has to be done on a budget, it MUST be just simply painted matte black, or textured black (Britex), etc. Bravo to HSU for doing just that. Take note SVS. That ugly vinyl wrap needs to go ASAP!
If it's in a dark corner or HT, who cares. For that matter, even my towers, I don't care. I like the plain jane electronics. Don't look like much, but when you hear it, you know where every penny went (not on aesthetics).

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
I have to unhook the PB1000 now so I can review some of the other subs that I received before it, but I can say this much; SVS must have hidden a larger driver in this cabinet someplace, because a 10" subwoofer should not be able to do what this one can. Thus far what I'm hearing is pretty impressive for 500 dollars, that's for sure.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I have to unhook the PB1000 now so I can review some of the other subs that I received before it, but I can say this much; SVS must have hidden a larger driver in this cabinet someplace, because a 10" subwoofer should not be able to do what this one can. Thus far what I'm hearing is pretty impressive for 500 dollars, that's for sure.
Thanks for this. I am selling my subwoofer tomorrow and after christmas I will be pulling the trigger on one of these.

SheepStar

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Is it hitting the low 20s with any authority?

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Is it hitting the low 20s with any authority?
I didn't have a chance to measure or run Audyssey -- I'm not even sure I had enough hours on it to qualify as fully broken in -- but I would say it's pretty solid in the low-mid 20's.

What I might end up doing is hooking it up again though. Turns out it didn't seem to like The Games scene in Tron; it was making a droning sound instead of anything resembling bass. After just a few minutes I had to stop the movie because it wasn't pleasant. That was the only scene the PB1000 didn't like, but I know the disk is fine because the sub I'm looking at now handled the same material just fine.

Last edited:
S

scott_home

Audiophyte
I have both PB-1000 and PB10NSD

I bought a 4-year-old PB-10NSD locally from CL before Thanksgiving and a PB-1000 during the Thanksgiving sale. They are sitting in my 10000 cu ft room. Maybe the PB-1000 is not broken in yet. The PB-10NSD is noticeably louder than the PB-1000. The old driver seems to be better (stiffer) than the new driver as well. If the sound does not improve after 2 weeks, I will send it back to SVS.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
I bought a 4-year-old PB-10NSD locally from CL before Thanksgiving and a PB-1000 during the Thanksgiving sale. They are sitting in my 10000 cu ft room. Maybe the PB-1000 is not broken in yet. The PB-10NSD is noticeably louder than the PB-1000. The old driver seems to be better (stiffer) than the new driver as well. If the sound does not improve after 2 weeks, I will send it back to SVS.
the 1000 series is one step lower than the NSD series.

the PB10NSD *was* more expensive (especially with shipping), has the better driver and a bigger enclosure.

honestly, both of these models will be hard-pressed in your massive room.

J

Jor4President

Enthusiast
PB-1000 max spl estimate

Dual PB-1000 will outperform a single PB12-NSD or PC12-NSD, on average with about 40-50% more max output. This is to be expected since they have more driver area, more internal enclosure volume and more port area - of course they cost more too. :)
How can this be interpreted in terms of max SPL?
Am I wrong to assume the following:
An identical corner loaded sub will add +6 db max spl. If 2 PB-1000's give 40-50% more output than the max output of a PB12-NSD then single PB-1000's output will be around -3db less than the max output of a PB12NSD? (And therefore probably bassholic certified medium?) :confused:

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
This might have already been posted on here somewhere, but SVS is holding another review-it-and-you-might-win-it contest for the PB-1000 and SB-1000! I saw it on Facebook, and here's a link to it.

EDIT: As I was entering the contest, Audioholics also posted it on Facebook. Man, you guys are fast. :D

J

Jor4President

Enthusiast
Fyi

I emailed svs costumer service and promptly received a very specific and detailed reply from Ed Mullen. (On december 31st in de afternoon nonetheless. I'm very impressed.) This might be useful to others considering the 1000 series. My question was how the output of the PB-1000 would relate to the SB12-NSD for application in medium sized rooms, specifically my borderline large 2986 ft^3 room.

Due to its considerably larger enclosure and ported design, the PB-1000 outperforms the SB12-NSD at every test frequency for CEA-2010 distortion-limited output, particularly below 40 Hz. The advantage at 31.5 Hz is 4 dB (60% more output), at 25 Hz is 7 dB (2.3X more output) and at 20 Hz is 9 dB (2.8X more output).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis