SVS HT Sub Upgrade Question

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
It has been all too well documented that most Speaker Manufacturers seem to fail on their Subs. With Klipsch being a possible near miss on that statement, all of the others come up short in every instance I've seen mentioned so far in other threads. (FWIW) *shrugs
(But last I checked, the 15" Klipsch was being compared to a PB2K... so a 12" was still hanging with a 15". Ummm.)

(On second thought, No speaker Manufacturer is winning on the Sub front right now.)

:cool:
The only one that might come close is paradigm with the defiance 15 inches that Shady reviewed that one seemed like a really solid sub even had some deep end not as much as others but solid past 20 Hz for a little bit

That's the only other one I can think of that can hang from a manufacturer

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The only one that might come close is paradigm with the defiance 15 inches that Shady reviewed that one seemed like a really solid sub even had some deep end not as much as others but solid past 20 Hz for a little bit

That's the only other one I can think of that can hang from a manufacturer
fair point.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Umm. Does JTR qualify as a “speaker manufacturer?” ROFL...
ID is a different beast in many regards. Some aren’t great. Others are.
I think by what I’ve seen and heard,Jeff/JTR has earned his stripes!
After seeing the CEA report for the Captivator 2400.... I’m still in disbelief! Clearing 10hz at almost 102dB... there may be some that perform better over a narrower range, but f me. That thing is a beast.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
After seeing the CEA report for the Captivator 2400.... I’m still in disbelief! Clearing 10hz at almost 102dB... there may be some that perform better over a narrower range, but f me. That thing is a beast.
I agree. Very compelling!
I was just being cheeky. Of course...

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I agree. Very compelling!
I was just being cheeky. Of course...
I know. But I can’t get past the thought, myself!

I would love to see a shootout of that “next tier” of subs... JTR, Deep Sea, Seaton, Funk... and just for good measure, we need to see a Rythmik and PSA tested!
Oh yeah, and it’s way past time for Tekton to get tested too... their Speakers and Subs!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Doesn't Jeff have a beast even harder then the 2400? I'm not sure I could have sworn he did

That's my end game speakers some day when things calm down big horn loaded but smooth neutral speakers. Check

High sensitivity high power handling check

Great off axis and on axis response check

Directory versus wide dispersion while still locking in a huge soundstage and precise imaging check

Able to sound great with music or movies at any volume level check

Killer dynamics check

It's like I was born to own these speakers someday :D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I know. But I can’t get past the thought, myself!

I would love to see a shootout of that “next tier” of subs... JTR, Deep Sea, Seaton, Funk... and just for good measure, we need to see a Rythmik and PSA tested!
Oh yeah, and it’s way past time for Tekton to get tested too... their Speakers and Subs!
although that darn Shady has thrown a wrench in my plans and given me a dilemma with the review that was just posted of the JBL HDI 3800's

Gosh darn you SHADY now I have 2 choices I'll have to choose from!!!!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
although that darn Shady has thrown a wrench in my plans and given me a dilemma with the review that was just posted of the JBL HDI 3800's

Gosh darn you SHADY now I have 2 choices I'll have to choose from!!!!
If this is for a surround sound system, go for the JTR. JTR has a better center channel, that is, if you are going to use a horizontal center. If you don't need your center to be horizontally aligned, then it's a tougher decision. JTR will have more dynamic range, but the JBL will have a more sophisticated waveguide. Not that the JTR's waveguide is bad or that the JBL is lacking in dynamic range. The JBL is prettier and lighter. You can't lose either way.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
If this is for a surround sound system, go for the JTR. JTR has a better center channel, that is, if you are going to use a horizontal center. If you don't need your center to be horizontally aligned, then it's a tougher decision. JTR will have more dynamic range, but the JBL will have a more sophisticated waveguide. Not that the JTR's waveguide is bad or that the JBL is lacking in dynamic range. The JBL is prettier and lighter. You can't lose either way.
Yeah I never use center channels always a 3rd identical tower.

So this makes it really tough here's the front back and overall view of the theater

20191209_041753.jpg20200307_172746.jpg20191209_041636.jpg

JTR has those awesome surrounds a coaxial surround slanted for the ceiling and then regular for the surrounds

From what I understand they have amazing dispersion very wide and great off axis response one more reason

But I'm sure JBL's bookshelves are no slouches on this area either

It's going to be a very very tough call I may have to fly out after crap calms down to listen to each product

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis