A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
For a very reasonable (in this category) $799 (currently $699 on preorder) the AS-EQ1 sub EQ is their new standalone room correction system. A joint venture with Audyssey Labs, a name that is becoming synonymous with room correction, the AS-EQ1 offers computer interface, dual subs, and some very interesting aesthetics. For those that want an easy to use room correction system, the AS-EQ1 is just what the doctor ordered. It's built to work with existing technology without overriding anything, it is easy to setup and maintain, and it lets you know exactly what it did via pretty graphs.

Discuss "SVS AS-EQ1 Sub EQ" here. Read the article.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I'm really excited to hear a review of this, any idea how long till a unit will be availabe for review?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
A little pricey for me, but then looking at what it offers it seems like a steal. I've seen/heard what the SMS-1 can do, so I am very interested in seeing what this one can do as well.

T

turbo16v

Enthusiast
Emotiva's new sub eq system coming out is rumored to be $999... BUT it comes with 2 12" subs and is powered with over 1k watts. When this comes out and if it delivers, I would think it would be a far better value at only 200 more than the AS-EQ1 :cool:

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Plz look at this, if this thing delivers.... it's a regular steal :D

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
this thing starts to ship in North America on May 18

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
I have pre-ordered the AS-EQ1 and will be doing an in-room test comparison (SMS-1) the first week in June thanks a local SVS contractor who has a unit.

I am really looking forward to this as the early reports have been very positive.:cool:

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'm starting to second guess my decision to not order one of these when I first saw them announced. I can still get the pre-order price, but it's going to be months before I'd get one.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I'm starting to second guess my decision to not order one of these when I first saw them announced. I can still get the pre-order price, but it's going to be months before I'd get one.
Think you're losing your strength again Adam :p
But I reckon it's a good thing.....

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Apparently, Audyssey will be producing their own version of this Auto LF Equalizer.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
As posted on AVS:
Doug McBride (SVS’s Software Hired Gun and all around good guy) was kind enough to bring his AS-EQ1 by for an in-home demo today. Doug living close by made this easy and I thank Doug and SVS (Ron and Ed) for making this possible. Also joining us was fellow AVS’er Randy (ransac).

The idea was to compare the AS-EQ1 to my Velodyne SMS-1 from an overall subjective sound quality standpoint. My system is made up of dual Danley TH-SPUD subs, JTR Triple 12LF LCR speakers with an Integra SSP. A Sunfire TGA 400/7 powers the speakers and a QSC pro audio amp drives the Danley Subs. Unfortunately due to my setup and time constraints we were not able to directly compare the SMS-1 to the AS-EQ1. Instead we compared it (the AS-EQ1) to no EQ. We also disengaged the Audyssey in my Integra so as not to have over lapping (dueling Audyssey’s). We started off by running though some music selections that included bass heavy passages and moved on to some familiar DVD and Bluray movie scenes.

With my treated dedicated room the before system sounded pretty good (to me anyway) and I admit I was skeptical that there would be a significant advantage in using the AS-EQ1 but the early reports were so positive I decided that I had to hear it in my room. The funny thing is that Doug was of a like mind. I think we were both surprised at the noticeable difference that the AS-EQ1 made to the LFE channel in my system especially with music.

Onto the demo, we played music tracks from the bass heavy Boney James, Sweet Thing CD and kept to that disk in order or better hear the differences from EQ to no EQ on the LFE track. To be fair, I am very familiar with this disk while Doug and Randy were hearing it for the first time but we all were all able to hear the differences that Audyssey made to the music. With music, the less is more Audyssey theory pans out very nicely. I believe we were unanimous in feeling that the taming down of the low bass made the mid range bass and hence the music more enjoyable (listenable) than with no EQ applied. The bass seemed over extended with no EQ but the AS-EQ1 brought it under control and so each note was easily distinguished.

With movies, the Audyssey EQ seemed to cut much more of the impact out of bass intense passages. We used the sound canon scene from The Incredible Hulk (much to Doug’s amusement) as the tester here. Both Randy and I noticed that the sound canons had been pretty effectively neutered by Audyssey while other bass parts of that scene maintained their impact and slam. My impression was that Audyssey was doing to the LFE channel what I initially though it did to the higher frequencies when I use the Audyssey Multi EQ in my Integra SSP i.e. over treating the bass response.

As it turns out Audyssey does indeed flatten out the room response. The Audyssey graph showed a dramatic difference between before and after graphs. To validate this, we put up the Velodyne SMS-1 real time display showing the rooms FR at various listening positions using the Velo mic. This experiment also showed the large differences in graphed response that slight mic movements made across my HT seating area. For me even more interesting was how these graphs did not necessarily correlate to significant changes in the sound in moving from seat to seat. I believe that is due to a fairly good native (no EQ) bass response across my seating area aided by dual subs, room treatments and the room itself. Whatever Audyssey does right for music, seems to lessen the impact I have become acoustomecd for movies. Increasing the LFE channel trim helped movies but was detrimental for music.

While I could hear a difference with Audyssey engaged, it was subtle in both a positive and negative sense. In many untreated or open rooms with lots of hard surfaces I’m sure the AS-EQ1 will work wonders. In my room there was a difference but it was less dramatic.

I plan on getting an AS-EQ1 and hope to do an A/B test like we were able to do with the AS-EQ1 on and off testing today. I would also like to spend more time tweaking and playing with the levels and also setup the two Audyssey’s together as recommended by both SVS and Audyssey. The AS-EQ1 is very cool technology and just what a crazy hobbyist like me needs to while away all those hours I could/should be spending outside doing more healthy or productive things.

My name is Rob and I am an AV nerd.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
This is mroe expensive then the Velodyne SMS-1, and handles only 2 subs? The SMS-1 can handle 3.

Something fishy going on...

SheepfishStar

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
This is mroe expensive then the Velodyne SMS-1, and handles only 2 subs? The SMS-1 can handle 3.

Something fishy going on...

SheepfishStar
actually, the SMS-1 can handle ONE subwoofer and ONE listening position.
(it just so happens that it's got built-in Y adapters on the back)

the AS-EQ1 can handle TWO discrete subs (with phase control) and THIRTY-TWO listening positions.

:)

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
actually, the SMS-1 can handle ONE subwoofer and ONE listening position.
(it just so happens that it's got built-in Y adapters on the back)

the AS-EQ1 can handle TWO discrete subs (with phase control) and THIRTY-TWO listening positions.

:)
True enough. In fact we ran my THSPUDS as two discreet subs and the software looks at each sub individually as well as the summed response of both (or even more chained off of the two sub outs).

The real time graph capability of the SMS-1 is still a great feature along with the 8 band PEQ. The SMS-1 is easy to use and very informative with the ability to view the rooms response anywhere in the room. But it is limited to only one saved position based PEQ adjustment at a time although you can save and select from 5 different EQ settings and these could be based upon different measured positions.

The AS-EQ1 is really just set it and forget it. Its goal is flat frequency response across all of the measured positions and if that is what you want, it is an easy and relatively fool proof solution. The tweakability factor is nil.

Last edited:
AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
For me, the downside is that it requires a PC to set it up.:(:rolleyes:

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
Rob,

I sent you a PM, asking how it went, before seeing this post. Don't bother replying...you've told it well above. Sorry I missed it. I like nothing better than calibrating systems, again and again :rolleyes:;)...

Seriously, it sounds like a great unit.

RT

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Rob,

I sent you a PM, asking how it went, before seeing this post. Don't bother replying...you've told it well above. Sorry I missed it. I like nothing better than calibrating systems, again and again :rolleyes:;)...

Seriously, it sounds like a great unit.

RT
No no I insist on replying ...:p

Below are the AS-EQ1 output graphs for my Danley THSPUD subs.

Here are the sub graphs shown separately before/after

Here is the combined output before/after

These graphs show a nice improvement in FR but they can be a little deceptive due to averaging and a lack of resolution in the graphs themselves. In other words, the sound improvement is slightly better in my room subjectively speaking but not to the degree the graphs might indicate.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Interesting exchange re the AS-EQ1 with Ed Mullen on another Forum:

Quote:
Ed Mullen wrote: View Post
If you noticed a lack of slam/impact on certain scenese after the AS-EQ1 was set-up, I suspect your subs were simply running too hot previously and/or had peaks which have been flattened.

The AS-EQ1 targets a flat FR and does not have any limiters or DRC circuits. It also targets a level-matched subwoofer with the remaining speaker channels (which I suspect is the primary cause of your observations).

A level-matched and flat subwoofer system will playback as intended by the director and mixing engineers, provided the subwoofer system does not otherwise have any output/extension limitations (which is certainly the case with your dual Danley, which have virtually unlimited clean output).

After the AS-EQ1 EQ routine is run at 75 dB (required to avoid digital headroom/clipping issues), then the user is free to run the subwoofer system as hot (or cool) as he wants to satisfy his personal taste in bass (which vary greatly among enthusiasts).

Over time, I have gravitated to a preference for a flat and level matched subwoofer system, as opposed to any fixed/static "house curves" or running the sub system hot. It may be initially less impressive during demos, etc., but over time it is far less fatiguing and simply sounds "right" to my ears. Bass effects - even deep/loud/impressive ones - are rarely mixed at such a level as to completely dominate a soundtrack to the point of being distracting.

You're free to run the subs as hot/cool as you like of course, but I recommend giving flat/level-matched a try for a while before concluding it sounds castrated or nuetered; "different" is often initially perceived to be "worse" until the listener adjusts to the new sound. I'm betting if you adjust to flat/level and then go back to hot/peaky, that the subs will simply sound overblown and domineering. It's often just a matter of time/perspective that will skew our opinions accordingly.

As for the AS-EQ1 and the SMS-1 having different trim/gain settings, that is simply a function of the two devices have different sensitivity and unity gain settings on the inputs stages and different voltages on the output stages. That is why, of course, the AS-EQ1 instructions require the gain setting on the amplifier(s) be adjusted during the subwoofer test tone so that the subwoofer is playing at 75 dB before proceeding to the EQ stage.
Thanks for the comments Ed. Of the fours hours I had with the AS-EQ1 at least two of them were spent on connections and running the setup. That did not leave enough time to reach any valid opinions so my comments are more casual observations.

I did find the trim/gain delta interesting. I had to increase the gain on my sub amp 25% to get setup to run and after running the AS-EQ1 setup, I had to increase the sub evel in my Integra Pre/Pro by more than 10db to hit the target 75db. That is a pretty significant sensitivity delta.

In any case, I run my subs level matched (or very close) with the other speakers and the SMS-1 takes care of the peaks so that I have +/-4db from 18Hz - 100Hz on the LFE channel at the #1 LP. What you describe as "hot/peaky", I could call dynamics. Audyssey Flat is one thing but there seemed to be LF content that was missing altogether when running Audyssey (hence nuetered). I found that was the case with Audyssey on my SSP as well but after many attempts, I finally got it to where I liked it. Maybe that is the adjustment period you mentioned.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis