Subwoofers on hard wood floor, should i put them on a square peice of carpet?

N

notasucker

Audiophyte
There's a sucker born every minute...are you one? I found my way to this forum after a google search, and after reading some of the posts I had to register so that I may comment.
Some of you applauded how effective the SVS "Bass Feet" are at "drastically reducing floor and wall vibrations, noise artifacts and complaints from neighbors or roommates." I was not familiar with this product so I investigated. $50 for 4 feet! Are you friggin kidding me?
About 45 years ago I was living in a house where I had an acoustic feedback loop from my speakers to my turntable. (The speakers sat on hardwood floors, and the turntable sat on a wood cabinet, essentially direct coupled to the same floor.) Easy fix. I got a piece of bubble wrap to place beneath the turntable. No more feedback loop.
If you want to uncouple your subs from your floor to mitigate unwanted artifacts and vibrations, and generally improve your "sound", do what I did, and place some bubble wrap beneath your subs, or, if you're a sucker, pay $50 for 4 feet. Jeez.

A little background on my background...I studied electronics and manufacturing technology in college (AA), built prototype medical research equipment for NASA, worked in a shop where we repaired hi-end audio equipment, have played guitar for 55 years, have played in bands, and worked as a "sound man", and have a home recording studio setup. I am a bit of an audiophile.

Last edited:
Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
There's a sucker born every minute...are you one? I found my way to this forum after a google search, and after reading some of the posts I had to register so that I may comment.
Some of you applauded how effective the SVS "Bass Feet" are at "drastically reducing floor and wall vibrations, noise artifacts and complaints from neighbors or roommates." I was not familiar with this product so I investigated. $50 for 4 feet! Are you friggin kidding me?
About 45 years ago I was living in a house where I had an acoustic feedback loop from my speakers to my turntable. (The speakers sat on hardwood floors, and the turntable sat on a wood cabinet, essentially direct coupled to the same floor.) Easy fix. I got a piece of bubble wrap to place beneath the turntable. No more feedback loop.
If you want to uncouple your subs from your floor to mitigate unwanted artifacts and vibrations, and generally improve your "sound", do what I did, and place some bubble wrap beneath your subs, or, if you're a sucker, pay $50 for 4 feet. Jeez.

A little background on my background...I studied electronics and manufacturing technology in college (AA), built prototype medical research equipment for NASA, worked in a shop where we repaired hi-end audio equipment, have played guitar for 55 years, have played in bands, and worked as a "sound man", and have a home recording studio setup. I am a bit of an audiophile.
@notasucker
Just a general comment right up front. Nobody cares how much you know until they know how much you care. Starting your intro to the AH forum with insults is one way to announce to the community that you don't care for anyone on it, but you do hold yourself in high esteem. That's usually not a winning combination.

I've read and listened to a wide range of opinions on sub-woofers here and how to improve their performance. There are some real deal experts on subs who hang out here and provide great advice. I have made several sub purchases based on their recommendations and couldn't be more pleased. As of right now, I don't recall any of the sub experts (@shadyJ are you listening?) telling me I need to buy rubber feet. In fact, you seemed to have gone out and bought rubber feet without doing any homework at all except for seeing a single opinion that said they might help. Who's the numbnuts there?

Finishing up your fine first post with a list of your qualifications is sort of wasted boast. If you start with an insult as your "hi, I'm new here", nobody gives a crap about your supposed credentials.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@notasucker
Just a general comment right up front. Nobody cares how much you know until they know how much you care. Starting your intro to the AH forum with insults is one way to announce to the community that you don't care for anyone on it, but you do hold yourself in high esteem. That's usually not a winning combination.

I've read and listened to a wide range of opinions on sub-woofers here and how to improve their performance. There are some real deal experts on subs who hang out here and provide great advice. I have made several sub purchases based on their recommendations and couldn't be more pleased. As of right now, I don't recall any of the sub experts (@shadyJ are you listening?) telling me I need to buy rubber feet. In fact, you seemed to have gone out and bought rubber feet without doing any homework at all except for seeing a single opinion that said they might help. Who's the numbnuts there?

Finishing up your fine first post with a list of your qualifications is sort of wasted boast. If you start with an insult as your "hi, I'm new here", nobody gives a crap about your supposed credentials.
But he's right, no sense in buying the silly SVS stuff instead of some sturdy rubber cabinet feet.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
But he's right, no sense in buying the silly SVS stuff instead of some sturdy rubber cabinet feet.
But he actually recommends bubble wrap. I can just hear the pop pop pop right now as I put my sub down...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
But he actually recommends bubble wrap. I can just hear the pop pop pop right now as I put my sub down...
Once you stop moving it so would the bubble wrap unless that sub cabinet was particularly bad I suppose....it'd likely just work, or a few towels or some other stuff lying around. The whole concept of isolation is so overblown....got guys "isolating" pre-amps.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I use the Dayton Audio rubber cabinet feet on my subs and main floor speakers . I had to switch the steel spikes out when the wife got her new hard wood floors didn’t change anything on the towers or the subs . The subs sit on 80 lb sand filled oak boxes to decouple them from the structure both the boxes and both subs are on rubber feet . No vibration on anything and there cheap too .

diskreet

diskreet

Audioholic
I am using Auralex's SubDude platforms under my three subs (two 12", one 18"). I cannot recommend them strongly enough. They cut out an enormous amount of vibrations into the floor and room. I've tried with and without them, even with the subs on rubber feet, and the difference is night and day.

You can even turn them around to have the meal logo hidden so they just blend in and you don't really notice them. Pics in my signature.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis