P

Paintboy

Audioholic Intern
Hello just joined.
I ve spent so much time online trying to understand line in speaker out, and watched YouTube for hours and now totally baffled. I want music in my workshop so anything would get dusty etc, so after what I thought was correct, bought a Tannoy tfx sub thinking it was active because it has its own amp. I tried to connect speakers to what I thought were the correct terminals ( they are speaker inputs). No sound. Apparently I need to connect an amp. I need diagrams for this because I can't get my brain to read and understand what connect's to what. I haven't bought an amp so I don't waste money on something I can't plug into. On the sub it's got an RCA line in and speaker inputs
Any help will stop me going insane

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
If this is your subwoofer, it is active. Did you buy the sub alone, or did you also get the satelite 5 speakers?
1611174695266.png

Just take it easy. It may all still be good. Did you buy new in case the amp is faulty, can you return it?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The internal amp in the subwoofer is to power itself. It is fed a signal from a receiver/preamp by way of the speaker terminals or the RCA inputs. Your other speakers need to be connected and powered by a separate amp.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The speaker in (and in some units also speaker out) is for old gear that doesn't have a sub pre-out (the rca connection), so you can put the sub in line with your speakers (but the speakers being powered by their own amp, the sub just uses the signal).

Last edited:
P

Paintboy

Audioholic Intern
If this is your subwoofer, it is active. Did you buy the sub alone, or did you also get the satelite 5 speakers?
View attachment 43860

Just take it easy. It may all still be good. Did you buy new in case the amp is faulty, can you return it?
yep thats it. I believe its ok as I had it connected to my laptop with mini jack to the line in. I got bass as such, the dials seem to work at top. Its secondhand without the other speakers but I have others anyway.
I just wanted to make sure the unit is ok, I just don,t know how to use it.
What puzzles me is long time ago I had a very cheap sub/ 2 speaker system that wired into my tv or dvd, but not into an amp and it worked fine using laptop. I can,t remember how it was configured with cables.
I assumed this was same sort of thing

P

Paintboy

Audioholic Intern
The line in speaker out is for old gear that doesn't have a sub pre-out (the rca connection), so you can put the sub in line with your speakers (but the speakers being powered by their own amp, the sub just uses the signal).
Thanks for reply, you,ve just written words that make no sense to me I,m afraid. As I need an amp what would be cheap and do the job?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for reply, you,ve just written words that make no sense to me I,m afraid. As I need an amp what would be cheap and do the job?
Well just consider it two different ways of providing signal to your sub, one via rca from a pre-amp/receiver/integrated amp that has a sub pre-out (pre-amplifier output) and the other using the speaker output terminals of pretty much any type of amplifier.

What speakers do you have? How many? What's "cheap"? Where are you?

Let's just say that the amp ideally would have a sub pre-out and bass management like a avr has but you may not care about that in the shop so much so many integrated amps or receivers that don't have such features would likely be fine. As far as dust, I mounted my workshop avr (audio video receiver) up high to minimize dust then built a cover to go over it to keep some dust off it....but I don't woodwork very often and try to vaccuum that as much as I can as I go along.

P

Paintboy

Audioholic Intern
Well just consider it two different ways of providing signal to your sub, one via rca from a pre-amp/receiver/integrated amp that has a sub pre-out (pre-amplifier output) and the other using the speaker output terminals of pretty much any type of amplifier.

What speakers do you have? How many? What's "cheap"? Where are you?

Let's just say that the amp ideally would have a sub pre-out and bass management like a avr has but you may not care about that in the shop so much so many integrated amps or receivers that don't have such features would likely be fine. As far as dust, I mounted my workshop avr (audio video receiver) up high to minimize dust then built a cover to go over it to keep some dust off it....but I don't woodwork very often and try to vaccuum that as much as I can as I go along.
I,ve some never used out the box pioneers. 5 of them, the smaller ones are heavier than the larger one!

P

Paintboy

Audioholic Intern
I,ve some never used out the box pioneers. 5 of them, the smaller ones are heavier than the larger one!
I,ve looked at some mini amps for around £50. Bear in mind the sub was only £80

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Let's be really basic.

Proper subwoofers are 'active'. They have an internal amplifier. Active speakers, by rule, are designed to power themselves, and nothing else.

So, you have a subwoofer which can power itself, but nothing else.

You also say you have some type of speakers. I didn't see if you posted a make/model of those speakers (which you should always do when discussing specifics!), but I will assume (perhaps incorrectly) that they are standard speakers which have wire connections on the back of them, and can be powered by a standard A/V receiver of some sort.

You need an amplifier which has speaker connections on it. The problem with cheap amplifiers, is that they don't have a subwoofer connection at all.

It is best, in my opinion, to check your local classifieds for an audio/video surround receiver that is VERY OLD! You don't need the video portion at all, and you don't need the extra channels of amplification at all, but the receiver will have a subwoofer output and it will have speaker amplification as well as volume control built in. It will allow you to hook up multiple sources to it easily. It will NOT have advanced features like wireless or Bluetooth built in.

But, it will be cheap, and it will work well, and it likely will be a fairly durable product.

This is something on my local Craigslist (USA online classifieds), which is only $40 and would be ideal for your request. It is just an example, so you should check your local online classifieds and let us know what you are looking at so we can give you advice/assistance.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
...long time ago I had a very cheap sub/ 2 speaker system that wired into my tv or dvd, but not into an amp and it worked fine using laptop.
Extremely cheap, and highly proprietary systems put a junky amplifier into a box and connect the speakers to it. This is common for computer speaker systems and Bose loves to do this. If any single part of the chain fails, you throw the whole setup away. You can't replace things easily, you can't upgrade it, you just live with it the way it is.

Industry standard equipment tends to be highly modular. You can pair a Denon receiver with B&W speakers, and a Monoprice subwoofer. You can swap out the Denon receiver for a Yamaha receiver later on if you want. You could change out the subwoofer in the future. This versatility is part of the 'standard' of audio/video. It can be daunting, but it's better to ask and get called a newbie a few times and have some silly things explained to you then to buy the wrong thing and waste your money when you don't have. to.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yep an old used avr would be great for the 5 speakers and sub, you wouldn't need the latest/greatest audio codecs or video features. Which model of Pioneer? What is your source(s) of music that you want to use?

P

Paintboy

Audioholic Intern
Yep an old used avr would be great for the 5 speakers and sub, you wouldn't need the latest/greatest audio codecs or video features. Which model of Pioneer? What is your source(s) of music that you want to use?
My laptop is the source.
my laptop is the source, the speakers are model number RADV004982WL. The file is too big apparently to upload

P

Paintboy

Audioholic Intern
Let's be really basic.

Proper subwoofers are 'active'. They have an internal amplifier. Active speakers, by rule, are designed to power themselves, and nothing else.

So, you have a subwoofer which can power itself, but nothing else.

You also say you have some type of speakers. I didn't see if you posted a make/model of those speakers (which you should always do when discussing specifics!), but I will assume (perhaps incorrectly) that they are standard speakers which have wire connections on the back of them, and can be powered by a standard A/V receiver of some sort.

You need an amplifier which has speaker connections on it. The problem with cheap amplifiers, is that they don't have a subwoofer connection at all.

It is best, in my opinion, to check your local classifieds for an audio/video surround receiver that is VERY OLD! You don't need the video portion at all, and you don't need the extra channels of amplification at all, but the receiver will have a subwoofer output and it will have speaker amplification as well as volume control built in. It will allow you to hook up multiple sources to it easily. It will NOT have advanced features like wireless or Bluetooth built in.

But, it will be cheap, and it will work well, and it likely will be a fairly durable product.

This is something on my local Craigslist (USA online classifieds), which is only $40 and would be ideal for your request. It is just an example, so you should check your local online classifieds and let us know what you are looking at so we can give you advice/assistance.
Thats what I mean, the internet is full of different connection options. I don,t need a sub out on an amp according to the "experts" online.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
May not "need" a pre-out or bass management but can be nice to have when integrating a sub with your speakers. If you want a cheap amp solution that will power all five speakers for a 5.1 surround setup, an avr will have the sub pre-out and bass management. Two channel stuff not so much.

P

Paintboy

Audioholic Intern
May not "need" a pre-out or bass management but can be nice to have when integrating a sub with your speakers. If you want a cheap amp solution that will power all five speakers for a 5.1 surround setup, an avr will have the sub pre-out and bass management. Two channel stuff not so much.
Right, I ll bear that in mind. This set up is only for my workshop. Doesn't have to be amazing quality. I m going to try and do it properly indoors at some point so will do that to get the best out of equipment.Cheers for advice

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
OP, your sub accommodates connection via speaker output from an amp, or RCA output from an amp. However, if you have no spare RCA or speaker outputs from your amp which are now used to power your main speakers, the sub you purchased will not work. The bottom line is you need an active sub, which has main speaker outputs if it requires input from your amp's speaker outputs.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
OP, your sub accommodates connection via speaker output from an amp, or RCA output from an amp. However, if you have no spare RCA or speaker outputs from your amp which powers main speakers, the sub you purchased will not work. The bottom line is you need an active sub, which has main speaker outputs.
He has the active sub (only) now. Why would you need spare main speaker terminals, tho?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis