P

Paintboy

Audioholic Intern
A sub out on a receiver makes setting a crossover point easy and simplifies life in general! You've gotten some great advice so far. I agree with BMX. Hit the classifieds and find yourself an older, cheaper AV receiver and it should solve all your problems!
Could you read my last post please? Wired up amp and not working as the link

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Could you read my last post please? Wired up amp and not working as the link
Okay I skimmed a little and didn't see you already have an amp. Which amp do you have? That link in your last post is how to wire it up old school to a receiver without a sub preout. If you don't already have the amp I think you should follow BMX's suggestion. Even if you do have a receiver sans preout, I'll bet you can find something relatively cheap that will work very nicely.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
https://soundcertified.com/how-to-connect-a-subwoofer-to-an-old-amplifier/ This is exactly what I was looking for. So I,ve wired amp as diagram 2. Doesn,t work
Are you getting sound from the speakers with how you wired it this way? Did you adjust the gain and crossover on the subwoofer? If they are both at their lowest settings it's likely you would not hear a thing. Also, you can put your hand on the subwoofer cone or surround to see if you're getting any movement at all.

P

Paintboy

Audioholic Intern
Okay I skimmed a little and didn't see you already have an amp. Which amp do you have? That link in your last post is how to wire it up old school to a receiver without a sub preout. If you don't already have the amp I think you should follow BMX's suggestion. Even if you do have a receiver sans preout, I'll bet you can find something relatively cheap that will work very nicely.
That link is what I was looking for because that's exactly what's on back of sub. Line in/out and 4 speaker inputs. If I wire it to my amp as the diagram I get sound from the two external speakers, nothing from amp.
I ve a logical reason it doesn't work, but it'll complicate any answer
In short, before I bought the amp I tested the sub( which was how I thought it would work originally), by connecting laptop to RCA line.
The sub worked as such, but I didn't know I needed an amp for other speakers. Now I ve got one and wired as diagram, sub doesn't work.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That link is what I was looking for because that's exactly what's on back of sub. Line in/out and 4 speaker inputs. If I wire it to my amp as the diagram I get sound from the two external speakers, nothing from amp.
I ve a logical reason it doesn't work, but it'll complicate any answer
In short, before I bought the amp I tested the sub( which was how I thought it would work originally), by connecting laptop to RCA line.
The sub worked as such, but I didn't know I needed an amp for other speakers. Now I ve got one and wired as diagram, sub doesn't work.
Does your amp have a RCA subwoofer preout? I would much prefer using that as opposed to the line level connections.

P

Paintboy

Audioholic Intern
Does your amp have a RCA subwoofer preout? I would much prefer using that as opposed to the line level connections.
No. I m getting so confused with different connections, it took me ages before I stumbled onto that link, which showed how to wire sub to amp from speaker inputs(sub) and terminals on amp

P

Paintboy

Audioholic Intern
No. I m getting so confused with different connections, it took me ages before I stumbled onto that link, which showed how to wire sub to amp from speaker inputs(sub) and terminals on amp
Note that the link doesn't show anything connected to RCA s on sub

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That image has both wiring schemes for your powered sub.

#1 shows your high level connection to an amp that does not have a sub preout. This will work, but it's kinda clunky (imo) and I think that...
#2 is the best way to go for incorporating a sub into your system. You already said you got sound using this connection from your laptop so that's a good sign that it should work for you. I'd be hitting the classifieds and look for a nice, cheap receiver with a rca sub preout on it and make life a li'l easier on yourself.

I understand how the high level connections work, but have never incorporated a sub using them before because I always had a sub out on my receivers.

*Edit: Crap, I just realized #1 uses a converter, not an existing preout... still, I think a cheap receiver with a preout is the way to go for you.

P

Paintboy

Audioholic Intern
That image has both wiring schemes for your powered sub.

#1 shows your high level connection to an amp that does not have a sub preout. This will work, but it's kinda clunky (imo) and I think that...
#2 is the best way to go for incorporating a sub into your system. You already said you got sound using this connection from your laptop so that's a good sign that it should work for you. I'd be hitting the classifieds and look for a nice, cheap receiver with a rca sub preout on it and make life a li'l easier on yourself.

I understand how the high level connections work, but have never incorporated a sub using them before because I always had a sub out on my receivers.

*Edit: Crap, I just realized #1 uses a converter, not an existing preout... still, I think a cheap receiver with a preout is the way to go for you.
Okay. I don't understand how it doesn't work, and to be honest, I ve had enough pissing about!

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Did you see my reply about the crossovers and gain settings on the sub?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I get confused on things woodworking cuz I'm a newbie there....hang in there. I think NINAudio's question is needing answering....and maybe a pic of your wiring.

More curious than anything, but what amp did you get (make and model)?

P

Paintboy

Audioholic Intern
Did you see my reply about the crossovers and gain settings on the sub?
Sorry didn't reply. I m no audio buff which is obvious.
Right. I bought the Tannoy tfx sub.
It has speaker input and RCA input, that's it.
If I connect laptop to the RCA's the sub"works". If I adjust crossover dial it gets louder.
So I ve got this amp because the link shows to wire speaker inputs to amp, and from amp to speakers. If I do this so two speakers come from amp and to sub from same amp terminals, only sound is from speakers. Nothing from sub, not even when turning crossover

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry didn't reply. I m no audio buff which is obvious.
Right. I bought the Tannoy tfx sub.
It has speaker input and RCA input, that's it.
If I connect laptop to the RCA's the sub"works". If I adjust crossover dial it gets louder.
So I ve got this amp because the link shows to wire speaker inputs to amp, and from amp to speakers. If I do this so two speakers come from amp and to sub from same amp terminals, only sound is from speakers. Nothing from sub, not even when turning crossover
Where's the input level dial set, tho? Probably want the "crossover" (it's only a low pass filter actually) set at 80 or so....

P

Paintboy

Audioholic Intern
I get confused on things woodworking cuz I'm a newbie there....hang in there. I think NINAudio's question is needing answering....and maybe a pic of your wiring.

More curious than anything, but what amp did you get (make and model)?
Cheap miniamp solely for workshop, more to the point because of the easy,(not) wiring. It's got aux input and 4speaker outputs

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Cheap miniamp solely for workshop, more to the point because of the easy,(not) wiring. It's got aux input and 4speaker outputs
I can't look at the details without a brand and model number....I remember this is for the workshop.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As to photos if you're using a pc with Windows 10 you right click on the file name of your photo it takes you to the Paint program (or you can import it there, this is just the way I do it on my W10 laptop), there is a resize option in terms of percentage or pixels, just enter 30 in the percentage box(es). Once resized save the file where you can find it easily, then use the "attach files" icon at the bottom of the dialog box here in the post and upload it....

This the amp? https://www.amazon.com/Douk-Audio-Bluetooth-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B07QK9V8L8

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
There should be a dial called either "gain", "volume", or "Input level". Set that higher than it was. Alternatively are both sets of speaker clips (the spring loaded red and black ones) labeled as inputs or is it one input and one output? Try the other ones just for the heck of it to see if you can get anything. Can you choose a smaller picture size in your phone's camera settings if you're unable to resize it separately.

Last edited:
P

Paintboy

Audioholic Intern
As to photos if you're using a pc with Windows 10 you right click on the file name of your photo it takes you to the Paint program (or you can import it there, this is just the way I do it on my W10 laptop), there is a resize option in terms of percentage or pixels, just enter 30 in the percentage box(es). Once resized save the file where you can find it easily, then use the "attach files" icon at the bottom of the dialog box here in the post and upload it....

This the amp? https://www.amazon.com/Douk-Audio-Bluetooth-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B07QK9V8L8
Yep

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis