lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How about the position of the level knob on the sub?

P

Paintboy

Audioholic Intern
How about the position of the level knob on the sub?
No nothing happens. Its as if its not plugged in. That link I,ve put here must be wrong but it seems exactly as what Ive got. Thats why I was chuffed I found that online. Perhaps I,m missing something simple.
You may not get this description, but I,ll try.
1 laptop to sub, connected by mini jack to rca[line inputs rca]
2 this makes sound from sub, "volume" by adjusting crossover dial
3 Take out mini jack/rca cable, not needed as per diagram
4 connect aux input to mini jack in laptop
5 connect amp outputs to speakers, at same terminals wire to subs speaker inputs
6 If this is correct wiring, I get sound from speakers but dead sub

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No nothing happens. Its as if its not plugged in. That link I,ve put here must be wrong but it seems exactly as what Ive got. Thats why I was chuffed I found that online. Perhaps I,m missing something simple.
You may not get this description, but I,ll try.
1 laptop to sub, connected by mini jack to rca[line inputs rca]
2 this makes sound from sub, "volume" by adjusting crossover dial
3 Take out mini jack/rca cable, not needed as per diagram
4 connect aux input to mini jack in laptop
5 connect amp outputs to speakers, at same terminals wire to subs speaker inputs
6 If this is correct wiring, I get sound from speakers but dead sub
Laptop to miniamp would be the way to go. Since you have evidence the sub works on its line input (the rca input) it could be an issue with the high level inputs (the speaker wire connections) on the sub itself (I may go grab my Lepai mini amp and see if I can get it do to similar). Sounds like it should work from your described connections, tho I'd like to see a pic too.....

P

Paintboy

Audioholic Intern
Laptop to miniamp would be the way to go. Since you have evidence the sub works on its line input (the rca input) it could be an issue with the high level inputs (the speaker wire connections) on the sub itself (I may go grab my Lepai mini amp and see if I can get it do to similar). Sounds like it should work from your described connections, tho I'd like to see a pic too.....
i,d like to be able to send one

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Are you using your phone to take pics? Can you adjust the size in the camera settings there?
Then again if using a phone you could more easily upload if you access Audioholics via Tapatalk.....

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Make sure it's just set to on and not auto for now. The knob on the right is your "volume" knob. If you're not hearing it/feeling any cone movement try turning that up until you do.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Or get an RCA splitter and run both the amp and the sub from your laptop that way.

P

Paintboy

Audioholic Intern
Make sure it's just set to on and not auto for now. The knob on the right is your "volume" knob. If you're not hearing it/feeling any cone movement try turning that up until you do.
I m going to try that now, pretty sure nothing happens when turning it

P

Paintboy

Audioholic Intern
I m going to try that now, pretty sure nothing happens when turning it
Okay. I ve sussed that external speakers work with amp
Not with sub together.
As per link I've got speaker wire from left red and white speaker input to left red/white on amp's output, and same for the right side. truck all from sub, crossover dials no volume, just a medium hum. I m throwing it in the skip soon

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That was the pic I'd like to see, of your wiring (just in case, the description sounds fine). "crossover dials no volume" is a bit confusing, tho. Is the hum physically from the sub's amp or coming from the sub's cone?

P

Paintboy

Audioholic Intern
That was the pic I'd like to see, of your wiring (just in case, the description sounds fine). "crossover dials no volume" is a bit confusing, tho. Is the hum physically from the sub's amp or coming from the sub's cone?
That's right,
Not sure where hum comes from. It's downwards firing so possibly amp. Yeah got the amp connected to subs speaker inputs, just a hum. It may have got louder with volume control on amp, but turning both dials on sub doesn't do anything.Doesnt get any louder.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It'd be nice to check the speaker level inputs on the sub with different gear. Any change if you hook only the sub to the amp via speaker level connection?

P

Paintboy

Audioholic Intern
It'd be nice to check the speaker level inputs on the sub with different gear. Any change if you hook only the sub to the amp via speaker level connection?
It could well be faulty. Yes that's what I ve tried to explain I've done. Sub speaker input to amp. Nothing but distinct hum

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It could well be faulty. Yes that's what I ve tried to explain I've done. Sub speaker input to amp. Nothing but distinct hum
I know you said with the speakers also in play, but I meant just the amp to the sub using the speaker outputs on the miniamp, no speakers. FWIW in general keep direction of signal straight/in mind, too....it's going from speaker output on amp to the speaker input on the sub (just helps in general keeping things straight).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis