Subwoofer upgrade...time to get serious.....ish

H

hextall27

Audioholic
No. The subs will perform according to the THX specifications for the subs when used according to their parameters. Just because the AVR doesn't perform to those same specs is immaterial.
The Outlaw and Monolith subs all seem to be very good product, as best I can tell (with my experience only really being with the X-13s).

The soooner you move beyond the Klipsch Subs, the better. Don't double down on that. Rather invest in the better sub now, use the Klipsch as a second sub for the short term and when you can double down on the second matching sub, pull the trigger and kick the Klipsch into a bedroom setup or sell it! ;)
PREACH ON REVEREND !!! The Klipsch would be going into my workout room :)

H

hextall27

Audioholic
SVS PB-2000 pro...duals for $1700, I'm thinking they would be enough for me

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm sure a second Klipsch would help, but then I might be kick myself later on for spending another $7-800 on that instead of taking the hit and getting better dual subs that I most likely wouldn't replace for many many years if ever
This is my line of thinking too. That's why I said above "me being me", I know I'd regret it and would wish I'd pulled the trigger on the better subs. I'm 3 - 3 1/2 years into my current subs (a pair of HSU VTF-3 MK5s) and don't plan to replace them anytime soon. Tho I was considering a third for a little bit...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
SVS PB-2000 pro...duals for $1700, I'm thinking they would be enough for me
Don't jump on that yet. You might be further ahead with a pair of larger HSUs for that money. I'm not sure, I haven't seen any measurements for the PB2000 Pros yet but I know @shadyJ is working up a review right now. I do suspect you might get a little more bang for your buck with the VTF-3s.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I put a couple of those ported HSU 12" subs in my old AV room for the new owners. The room is an almost identical size to yours. The subs performed well down to 20 Hz and had plenty of power. I don't think you need to spend any more on subs for that room. You will have power to spare.

This is the in room response I got from them.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk5.html

Lastly the vast majority of what is perceived as bass is well above sub range. I'm talking about 80 to 400 Hz. So if the other speakers have poor output in that range, you can have the best subs and still be lacking bass.

H

hextall27

Audioholic
Don't jump on that yet. You might be further ahead with a pair of larger HSUs for that money. I'm not sure, I haven't seen any measurements for the PB2000 Pros yet but I know @shadyJ is working up a review right now. I do suspect you might get a little more bang for your buck with the VTF-3s.
Yeah I have time. So I’m not rushing it!!

H

hextall27

Audioholic
HSU has the VTF-3 MK5 dual drive package, so 2 of those subs for $1800 (including shipping)….seems like a solid deal...….

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
about 16w x 24L x 8H, furnished basement with carpet, large sectional, its closed off to everything else
Just over 3000'3 with concrete floors...
HSU has the VTF-3 MK5 dual drive package, so 2 of those subs for $1800 (including shipping)….seems like a solid deal...….
This would make a bit more sense to me given the concrete, which to some extent will deaden the visceral effect of some low frequency performance. Not taking anything away from the SVS subs, but I think the greater displacent offered by the Hsus may be beneficial.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
looks like HSU for the win!!!!
They're gonna be hard to beat bang for buck, even going DIY. I love SVS' aesthetic and would love to own at least a pair of PB4000s, if not a pair of PB16 Ultras but HSU falls way more within my budget and they are legit, good clean subs with great extension and generally better mid bass performance.

H

hextall27

Audioholic
They're gonna be hard to beat bang for buck, even going DIY. I love SVS' aesthetic and would love to own at least a pair of PB4000s, if not a pair of PB16 Ultras but HSU falls way more within my budget and they are legit, good clean subs with great extension and generally better mid bass performance.
My order is placed!!! I would have loved dual PB4000's but money wise I couldn't justify it

H

hextall27

Audioholic
Thank you everyone who took the time out to help me with my subwoofer research and purchase, You guys rock! Love the forum!!!!!

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I haven’t really looked into the Hsu’s. I’ll have to go do some research. I did begin to research the outlaw audios that Shady suggested. I was really impressed with the Ultra 12’s having 350 watts and hitting so low bass wise. I also looked at the 13’s and would grab a pair if there was a killer sale
The tv kicks butt. Super crisp, the colors really pop when watching 4K movies. No motion blur when watching any sports or fast paced scenes. Really like it. I have a Sony xbr65 that’s upstairs now
I have a pair of the HSU VTF3 mk5...my space is 18x16x9 open to a hallway and great room...hard to beat the pair for value and performance in a medium size space.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Stupid question....My denon avr-x6400h I think is a decent receiver, but doesn't have THX as a setting, should I avoid Monoprice or the Outlaw Audio Ultras with THX or is that just something I would need to fiddle with the get the best results. Forgive my ignorance with audio questions, as I have almost no clue
FWIW the THX sound modes are a slightly different flavor from those from Dolby and DTS, I have a THX certified avr with the THX sound mode options but generally don't use it, but having a sub with a THX certification is just a performance certification the manufacturer pays for, and many manufacturers simply don't bother.

H

hextall27

Audioholic
FWIW the THX sound modes are a slightly different flavor from those from Dolby and DTS, I have a THX certified avr with the THX sound mode options but generally don't use it, but having a sub with a THX certification is just a performance certification the manufacturer pays for, and many manufacturers simply don't bother.
Thanks for the info, I ended up going with the Hsu's

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis