Subwoofer torture movies?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
the movie I use to 'show off ' is Master and Command the battle scene near the beginning of the movie... canons going off.....nice plus as the canons fire back and forth u get a good surround sound test too.
Yeah, I love this one too. Just make sure to use the dvd, as the BD has a filter in place. Dumb...

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Here is some binaural recordings of the recent Falcon Heavy launch. During the launch itself, most of the energy seems to lay in single digit frequencies. You will definitely see your cones moving if they aren't really inhibited by filters.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
I don't watch many "action" movies so can't say which really gave my subs a "run for the money". The only scene which comes to mind is the crop duster scene in "North By Northwest" (Blu-Ray) when the plane crashes into the gasoline truck and explodes. The pair of 8" Definitive Technology ProSub 800 did seem loud. Now I wonder if I had bigger subs, how would it sound?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't watch many "action" movies so can't say which really gave my subs a "run for the money". The only scene which comes to mind is the crop duster scene in "North By Northwest" (Blu-Ray) when the plane crashes into the gasoline truck and explodes. The pair of 8" Definitive Technology ProSub 800 did seem loud. Now I wonder if I had bigger subs, how would it sound?
Let's just say the low frequency effects in films since NbN have advanced a bit as well as many playback systems. I'll have to dig up a copy of NbN but doubt it's going to match up to something like the LFE in War of the Worlds (Cruise's, probably not much of an issue with the original, somewhat like NbN). What was more interesting was that Cary Grant may have been doing a fair bit of acid during NbN if the recent episode of Urban Myths was on track....

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
The thunderstorm in this demo will blow you out of the room cranked to 0dB. All channels and objects plus the LFE have full scale level bass going.
Another excellent recommendation! One of my go-to's at my store's home theater Demo. There's some really great stuff on the official Dolby Atmos Demo Disc. Hearing/feeling the waterfall rumbling is about as close to being there as you can get without getting soaked.

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
Oh geez yes. The beginning of the light cycle scene where they go off with a bang is nuts. Even pushed my RBH SV-1212PR to its limit.
I've seem that movie 7 times I wish I saw it in the theater when it came out.

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
has king Kong 2005 been added to the list? there's some major animal stomping in it.

B

Blue Dude

Audioholic
The thunderstorm in this demo will blow you out of the room cranked to 0dB. All channels and objects plus the LFE have full scale level bass going.

You can get the actual demo file from here https://thedigitaltheater.com/index.php/dolby-trailers/

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk
If you have a device with a Vudu app, that's a free purchase for your video library. Dolby Digital Plus + Atmos. Good stuff.

Also, for subwoofer testing, try out Star Trek (2009) when the fleet goes to warp around 40 minutes in. It won't seem all that great with lesser subs or a stereo sound mix. But the LFE channel has something special for capable subs. Each ship going to warp goes off with a snapping boom that will definitely get your attention.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Oh geez yes. The beginning of the light cycle scene where they go off with a bang is nuts. Even pushed my RBH SV-1212PR to its limit.
Yeah, TRON Legacy had great bass.

“Geostorm” and "Only the Brave" have pretty good bass too.

Last edited:
lvb1770

lvb1770

Enthusiast
One of the most bass insane discs out there is a DVD! The August 2000 release of The Haunting (1999) DTS version. The one with the DTS Surround Sound banner at the top of the case artwork. It may be a little difficult to find. Careful or you may have some chuffing.:D

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
i looked for about 4 minutes and could not find it for sale. i wonder if netflix has it.

One of the most bass insane discs out there is a DVD! The August 2000 release of The Haunting (1999) DTS version. The one with the DTS Surround Sound banner at the top of the case artwork. It may be a little difficult to find. Careful or you may have some chuffing.:D

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Oh yes, I have clips from this on one or two of my old dts demo discs, and it pounds for sure!

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
i looked for about 4 minutes and could not find it for sale. i wonder if netflix has it.
Netflix version wouldn't have the DTS track, so I'd just peruse your local shops that sell used DVDs. Now that I know about this one, I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for sure. Can probably find it for like $2 when I do end up finding it. Haha.

F

Foxrox

Junior Audioholic
The first several scenes of Batman Vs Superman have some heavy bass, especially the clips of the mugging. Then again, I’m not sure I am a good gauge because I apparently run my subs exceedingly hot, somewhere around 16dB over where Audyssey sets them. :confused:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis