Subwoofer Setup Assistance

V

Vacas

Audioholic Intern
Hello Friends,

i am about to throw a very silly question here that confuses me alot and it is about Subwoofer Setup particularly the cross over settings..

i have PSB Subsonic i-6 subwoofer and Denon AVR x4400h. now during my Audussy setup, AVR guides me to roll out subwoofer cross over to the maximum position and there it sets the subwoofer through test noises with speakers. Now the confusion is that Audioholics and some other you tube channels, it states to set your sub cross over point approx 10db higher than the minimum cross over frequency of our speakers. since i have Jamo c809 floor stand speaker, its minimum frequency is 30hz.

1 - Should i be tweaking cross over point at subwoofer plate after audussy is done?
2 - In Denon AVR, It also has the subwoofer cross over point that one can set accordingly. should be using that tool also ?
3 - while sitting at my sweat spot and test tone on through AVR, i changed the phase switch from 0 to 180 and back to 0 (with help of my friend) and i didnt feel any difference in base. Is there any issue in my setup ??

hope to have your assistance onto these three questions :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
To answer your questions in order:
1. If you want to keep your system in calibration, so not change any settings on the sub after you have run Audyssey.
2. Just leave the crossover setting at 80 Hz is that is what Audyssey set it at. If Audyssey didn't set it at 80 Hz, you can change it to 80 Hz, but I wouldn't change it to go much higher or lower than 80. Best just to keep it at 80.
3. You should leave the phase setting to whatever it was when you ran Audyssey calibration. If you don't, you will get a cancellation null around the crossover point from speakers to sub. The audibility of the null would depend on what you are listening to.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
1. Leave the XO on the sub as high as you can. That is so the XO on the subs amp doesn’t interfere with the XO setting in the AVR.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Besides, unless your speakers are connected to the sub, there can be no crossover controlled by the sub, and the control on the sub is likely only a low pass filter anyways (many subs are mislabelling low pass filter as crossover). Best as suggested to let the avr control crossover and I would also start at 80, and speakers all set to small, including your towers.

Post-Audyssey many do bump up the sub level a few dB, and in the avr rather than adust the gain/volume on the sub.

V

Vacas

Audioholic Intern
Besides, unless your speakers are connected to the sub, there can be no crossover controlled by the sub, and the control on the sub is likely only a low pass filter anyways (many subs are mislabelling low pass filter as crossover). Best as suggested to let the avr control crossover and I would also start at 80, and speakers all set to small, including your towers.

Post-Audyssey many do bump up the sub level a few dB, and in the avr rather than adust the gain/volume on the sub.
Just to add a comment, speakers are directly connected to AVR and not the sub. Further, there is a switch at the back of the sub-amp plate as "Active". As per sub manual, it by-passes sub amp internal cross over and give its control to AVR. This "active" switch is for LFE signal and if not turned on, it will give stereo signal on LEFT / RIGHT INPUTS of the sub plate..

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just to add a comment, speakers are directly connected to AVR and not the sub. Further, there is a switch at the back of the sub-amp plate as "Active". As per sub manual, it by-passes sub amp internal cross over and give its control to AVR. This "active" switch is for LFE signal and if not turned on, it will give stereo signal on LEFT / RIGHT INPUTS of the sub plate..
Some subs might label that switch "LFE" if it bypasses the internal low pass filter (or you can just max out the setting of the low pass filter). If the sub has L/R inputs then it has the ability to sum the stereo signal to mono for use by the sub....but even if you used just one of the inputs (L or R) with the avr's sub pre-out signal it's mono anyways....

V

Vacas

Audioholic Intern
Guys - Thanks a lot for your help. Sound is much better now as i let my AVR to do the job as advised. Great help, thanks.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis