Subwoofer(s) on the cheap.

A

aceinc

Audioholic
Some things about me;
  1. I hate paying retail unless there is a darn good reason.
  2. I have built subs in the past, and I will if I need to.
  3. I enjoy buying used. Most, not all, of my audio gear came from Craigslist, OfferUp and FB Marketplace.
I would like to replace two home built 10" Dayton Titanic sealed subs driven by a Crown 2002XTI amplifier with DSP.

What I am looking for is something to fill in the 16hz-40hz range. in my HT/2 channel system. I have other subs in the system.

Aesthetically/size speaking, I would like something which is small enough to use under my Magnepan MMGs which I use for rear speakers in my HT system. The Titanics serve this purpose now.

In my research I see I could build subs, but to get something which does 16hz-40hz at reasonable levels I would probably need say UM18s ported which needs rather large cabinets and with amplification all in (without labor) it may cost 2/3 the price of a new store bought sub. And I am getting lazier as I age.

Looking at some Audioholic (and other) reviews there are some reasonably priced subs which might work like the SVS PB2000s. Or Monoliths. It would be great if there was a place to compare the current subs, Audioholics has reviewed side by side.

On the used market I only seem to find lower end subs which can't reach the sub 20hz range.

So what is a cheap audio guy like me to do?

I'm not sure if this post has any purpose other than to allow me to kvetch, but if you have any thoughts on an economical solution to my dilemma, feel free to chime in.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
SVS lets you buy and try for 45 days. If you’re not satisfied you can return free of charge in the US for a full refund. Good luck as your musical journey continues!

A

aceinc

Audioholic
SVS lets you buy and try for 45 days. If you’re not satisfied you can return free of charge in the US for a full refund. Good luck as your musical journey continues!
For what I am looking for is;
  1. SVS PB200 adequate?
  2. Are there better alternatives for the same or less $?

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
I bought 2 SVS 1000 Pros for my 2.2 channel music only system and they work great for my needs. Got an open-box deal for both at $898 with free shipping. I didn’t need a bigger sub in my room. My suggestion is a trial with something you can return at no cost. It’s the only way I know of to make sure you get what sounds right for you in your room Without buyers remorse. SVS has excellent customer service too if you have any questions all through the buying process including helping with your room setup.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You will never beat the value of DIY for subs, if you are able to properly construct them. If you want a lot of bang for your buck, look at the kits from GSG Audio Design.

A

aceinc

Audioholic
Especially when you already have the amps...
If someone wanted to build yet another pair of subwoofers and they wanted the smallest enclosures with a similar design to say the Perlisten D212s, what driver's should they start with?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Define smallest enclosures....but haven't been driver shopping in a while. How are you modeling the subs?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If someone wanted to build yet another pair of subwoofers and they wanted the smallest enclosures with a similar design to say the Perlisten D212s, what driver's should they start with?
Any drivers suitable for small sealed designs should work for your purposes.

P

privateeye

Junior Audioholic
Some things about me;
  3. I enjoy buying used. Most, not all, of my audio gear came from Craigslist, OfferUp and FB Marketplace.
I would like to replace two home built 10" Dayton Titanic sealed subs driven by a Crown 2002XTI amplifier with DSP.

What I am looking for is something to fill in the 16hz-40hz range. in my HT/2 channel system. I have other subs in the system.

Aesthetically/size speaking, I would like something which is small enough to use under my Magnepan MMGs which I use for rear speakers in my HT system. The Titanics serve this purpose now.

In my research I see I could build subs, but to get something which does 16hz-40hz at reasonable levels I would probably need say UM18s ported which needs rather large cabinets and with amplification all in (without labor) it may cost 2/3 the price of a new store bought sub. And I am getting lazier as I age.

Looking at some Audioholic (and other) reviews there are some reasonably priced subs which might work like the SVS PB2000s. Or Monoliths. It would be great if there was a place to compare the current subs, Audioholics has reviewed side by side.

On the used market I only seem to find lower end subs which can't reach the sub 20hz range.

I'm not sure if this post has any purpose other than to allow me to kvetch, but if you have any thoughts on an economical solution to my dilemma, feel free to chime in.
Some of the older Paradigm subwoofers can be found on the cheap and they will hold their own with any contemporary sub $2000 subwoofer - depending on the model you find of course.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Some things about me;

Did your current subs break or just not loud enough?

A

aceinc

Audioholic
Did your current subs break or just not loud enough?
As Mae West is attributed to have said, "Too much of a good thing is never enough."

Seriously, my existing sealed subs are over 12 years old and seem to be working OK. I guess it is a bit of "upgraditis" combined with a desire to energize the below 40hz frequencies in my room. The combo of the 15" and two 10"s don't seem to cut the mustard.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
The combo of the 15" and two 10"s don't seem to cut the mustard.
That would depend on a lot of factors...I use a Speedwoofer 12S for 30hz and down and two stacked Speedwoofer 10S's for 30hz and up.....that combo is killer !!

A

aceinc

Audioholic
Hmmm... A few weeks ago I tuned my 5 subwoofers to my room using REW. I did this independent of my Sound Processor (Maranttz AV-7704). Since then I have only been playing music, and it sounds pretty good (2 channel + subs).

Last night I watched the new Aquaman Movie. I wasn't impressed with the bass.

So tonight I reran Audyssey, with the following settings;

The fronts are set to large (they include an OB sub on each channel). I only allowed the Audyssey to tweak up to 500hz on the fronts but full range on the other 9 channels. I set the xover points on the surrounds and rears to 60hz, the center to 40hz and 80hz on the heights. I gave the 3 sealed subs a 3DB boost.

For testing I put in an old Blu-Ray of Hellboy 2. This time I was impressed with the bass. I watched ~10 minutes and switched back to watch a bit of the new Aquaman on HBO MAX. I still wasn't impressed (I'll poke around in the video to see if there is any good infrasonic bass later). So I busted out a 4K HDR Atmos copy of the Justice League. Yup the bass sounds darn right acceptable.

I guess the urgency for a pair of subs isn't there, so I can keep "shopping..." But I am still looking and plotting.

BTW, the whole system contains;

Marantz AV-7704
2 Emotiva XPA-1 Gen-1 driving Magnepan 2.7 QRs.
2 GR Research OB subwoofer kits built in W cabinets, running parallel to the 2.7s.
1 Emotiva XPA-3 Gen-1 driving a homebuilt center channel and two Magnepan MMGs for rears.
1 Emotiva XPA-2 Gen-1 driving a pair of Magnepan .7s for surrounds.
1 Sherbourn 5/1500A driving 4 - Dayton 8" in ceiling speakers.
1 Rythmik Audio 15" sub kit in a largish sealed enclosure (15 or more years old).
2 Dayton 10" Titanics in small sealed enclosures driven by a Crown 202XTI, the sub drivers are also 15 or more years old,

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hmmm... A few weeks ago I tuned my 5 subwoofers to my room using REW. I did this independent of my Sound Processor (Maranttz AV-7704). Since then I have only been playing music, and it sounds pretty good (2 channel + subs).

Last night I watched the new Aquaman Movie. I wasn't impressed with the bass.

So tonight I reran Audyssey, with the following settings;

The fronts are set to large (they include an OB sub on each channel). I only allowed the Audyssey to tweak up to 500hz on the fronts but full range on the other 9 channels. I set the xover points on the surrounds and rears to 60hz, the center to 40hz and 80hz on the heights. I gave the 3 sealed subs a 3DB boost.

For testing I put in an old Blu-Ray of Hellboy 2. This time I was impressed with the bass. I watched ~10 minutes and switched back to watch a bit of the new Aquaman on HBO MAX. I still wasn't impressed (I'll poke around in the video to see if there is any good infrasonic bass later). So I busted out a 4K HDR Atmos copy of the Justice League. Yup the bass sounds darn right acceptable.

I guess the urgency for a pair of subs isn't there, so I can keep "shopping..." But I am still looking and plotting.

BTW, the whole system contains;

Marantz AV-7704
2 Emotiva XPA-1 Gen-1 driving Magnepan 2.7 QRs.
2 GR Research OB subwoofer kits built in W cabinets, running parallel to the 2.7s.
1 Emotiva XPA-3 Gen-1 driving a homebuilt center channel and two Magnepan MMGs for rears.
1 Emotiva XPA-2 Gen-1 driving a pair of Magnepan .7s for surrounds.
1 Sherbourn 5/1500A driving 4 - Dayton 8" in ceiling speakers.
1 Rythmik Audio 15" sub kit in a largish sealed enclosure (15 or more years old).
2 Dayton 10" Titanics in small sealed enclosures driven by a Crown 202XTI, the sub drivers are also 15 or more years old,
Why are you setting speakers to "large" particularly for bass management? (all that means it not use bass management)

A

aceinc

Audioholic
Why are you setting speakers to "large" particularly for bass management? (all that means it not use bass management)
The front speakers consist of both large speakers (Maggie 2.7s) and OB subwoofers running in parallel. So they really can handle 25hz-20khz.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The front speakers consist of both large speakers (Maggie 2.7s) and OB subwoofers running in parallel. So they really can handle 25hz-20khz.
So you're using an LFE+Main type or double bass type setting in the avr/pre-pro? The Maggies I would consider bass deficient.

A

aceinc

Audioholic
So you're using an LFE+Main type or double bass type setting in the avr/pre-pro? The Maggies I would consider bass deficient.
Each main consists of 1 Maggie 2.7QR and an OB sub. Each OB sub contains 2 - 12" drivers driven by a 300+ watt amplifier. I limit these subs to 25hz & above, because being open baffle they can bottom out when driven hard during home theater special effects.

The pre/pro has the LFE driving 3 sealed subs in the rear of the room.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Each main consists of 1 Maggie 2.7QR and an OB sub. Each OB sub contains 2 - 12" drivers driven by a 300+ watt amplifier. I limit these subs to 25hz & above, because being open baffle they can bottom out when driven hard during home theater special effects.

The pre/pro has the LFE driving 3 sealed subs in the rear of the room.
OB sub means what?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis