Subwoofer recommendations

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
There is difference but not the difference someone would expect, am i right? The 12.17 edge has 3 times the RMS of the other and its 2 times more in size!
You're not seeing the whole picture from that one graph. The maximum SPL is probably going to be higher with the 12 than the 10. That 10 looks more like it would be useful as a mid bass monitor to me. I wouldn't call it a subwoofer at all.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
There is difference but not the difference someone would expect, am i right? The 12.17 edge has 3 times the RMS of the other and its 2 times more in size!
Also, from the graph shown, between 20-30 Hz the 12.17 has a 6-10 dB advantage. That's a much larger amount of energy in the bass region. That is a very noticeable change, we're not talking only a dB or two.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Also, from the graph shown, between 20-30 Hz the 12.17 has a 6-10 dB advantage. That's a much larger amount of energy in the bass region. That is a very noticeable change, we're not talking only a dB or two.
Yup. And a 6-10 dB advantage translates into magnitudes more power (double the power, then double that power, then double it one more time just for good measure) if you were trying to achieve it with straight amplification. That's huge.

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
He's comparing the 12.17, a ported 12" to a BKE XLS200, a sealed 10". Looking at the graphs, you can see what going with the ported 12" gets you: much more useful low end output.
i was thinking the same but this guy is trying it sealed. Translate the post #332 if you want. He is afraid if he unseals the sub, he will have bass out of control.

it is sealed vs sealed. Xtz is a hubrid subwoofer it can do both!
so the graph you see its just a warm up of the xtz:cool:.

also this is 12.17 “edge“ the one i picked too. There is a 12.17 single, also.

That moment there is a promotion that edge is cheaper than the single 12.17. I think its available at the Usa too, there is a chain.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
i was thinking the same but this guy is trying it sealed. Translate the post #332 if you want. He is afraid if he unseals the sub, he will have bass out of control.

it is sealed vs sealed. Xtz is a hubrid subwoofer it can do both!
so the graph you see its just a warm up of the xtz:cool:.

also this is 12.17 “edge“ the one i picked too. There is a 12.17 single, also.

That moment there is a promotion that edge is cheaper than the single 12.17. I think its available at the Usa too, there is a chain.
Lol. Bass out of control...rofl.

I think you made the right choice. FWIW, I can’t imagine using a sealed 10’ but there’s a butt for every seat so...

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Btw, congratulations. Can’t wait to see what you think.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Lol. Bass out of control...rofl.

I think you made the right choice. FWIW, I can’t imagine using a sealed 10’ but there’s a butt for every seat so...
Sitting on a sealed 10" might work.

I've never seen a 10' sub though, that sounds like it would be nuts! ;)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Sitting on a sealed 10" might work.

I've never seen a 10' sub though, that sounds like it would be nuts! ;)
I started out with a pair of 10's in my ~6,000^3 space.

10" Klipsch subwoofers. :eek:

*Edit: 10 foot subwoofer! Now I get it! Lol

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
thats a greek forum. Look what a coinsidence. This guy has a bk elec subwoofer, the brands we are talking about in the last page!

and he bought 2 pieces 12.17 he is crazy!

he measured both differend ones with Umic and he posted it.

12.17 is very touph but...look at the size! He is double the other :eek:
Comparing 10" 275W sealed 0.035 cubic meter cabinet subwoofer to 12" 700W ported 0.081 cubic meter cabinet subwoofer is almost like comparing oranges to apples even though the XTZ was ran ports plugged. Those 2 subwoofers compared are from completely different leagues.

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
Comparing 10" 275W sealed 0.035 cubic meter cabinet subwoofer to 12" 700W ported 0.081 cubic meter cabinet subwoofer is almost like comparing oranges to apples even though the XTZ was ran ports plugged. Those 2 subwoofers compared are from completely different leagues.
They are both sealed for his setup. XTZ is hybrid. He is comparing them sealed both.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Comparing wattage of sub amps without knowledge of the system sensitivity isn't very useful.....

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Comparing wattage of sub amps without knowledge of the system sensitivity isn't very useful.....
Plus the larger driver/cab combo will generally have much better efficiency and over performance. IMO...

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
My alternative can be a Double Gem on the floor. its a space saver. And more placement options Because its thin and long.

its not shipped yet, i can still do it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis