ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Right? Most people tho k they’re grody, but not me! Some are of course but others, very nice. I’m remember really drooling over the old pc12 plus2. In rosewood! There were others too...

I know you remember these guys. Good times.
Oooh. Sexy. Only thing prettier would be a Salk Finish! ;) Which reminds me... I hope @everettT is bumpin' hard with his Salk-Rythmiks!

Let's get back to some CANDY! 'Been a week-and-a-half. ;)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Oooh. Sexy. Only thing prettier would be a Salk Finish! ;) Which reminds me... I hope @everettT is bumpin' hard with his Salk-Rythmiks!

Let's get back to some CANDY! 'Been a week-and-a-half. ;)
Fo sho!
Try this one. I haven’t yet but it’s reported to go verrryyyy looowwwww..... like 4hz or 8hz? Craziness.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Godzilla part 3 (animated) on Netflix. Around 42 minutes, there is an explosion. Feels like mid 20s to 30s, hits hard and then drops off a bit but is sustained for around 1 full minute or more. It is an interesting but odd series, not your typical Godzilla fare I think.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not exactly a sub workout but does have some nice deep tones, and some sparkly stuff and even stuff that sounds like caribou calls (to me at least)....does sort of have that winter thing going on....Terje Isungset's Winter Songs.
Spotify link
One on youtube

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Has the scene in Ready Player One when the Cataclyst was set off been mentioned? Like a minute of sustained depth plumbing.

Recently what surprised me the most was the beginning (maybe 7 to 10 minutes in) of the Netflix DOCUMENTARY!!! "The Great Hack". It actually pissed me off as I thought it to be an entirely unnecessary amount of bass- it was only the second time my HSU bottomed out.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Has the scene in Ready Player One when the Cataclyst was set off been mentioned? Like a minute of sustained depth plumbing.

Recently what surprised me the most was the beginning (maybe 7 to 10 minutes in) of the Netflix DOCUMENTARY!!! "The Great Hack". It actually pissed me off as I thought it to be an entirely unnecessary amount of bass- it was only the second time my HSU bottomed out.
Are you sure you actually bottomed out the Hsu sub? Are you sure it wasn't a clipping noise? Any of their present subs would be very difficult to bottom out. I have tried and I wasn't able to. One way to do it is if the EQ setting is not aligned with the port configuration. If both ports are open, make sure that the EQ switch is set to EQ2. If both ports are open and the amp is set to EQ1, that would make it vulnerable to actually bottoming out if driven hard enough.

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Are you sure you actually bottomed out the Hsu sub? Are you sure it wasn't a clipping noise? Any of their present subs would be very difficult to bottom out. I have tried and I wasn't able to. One way to do it is if the EQ setting is not aligned with the port configuration. If both ports are open, make sure that the EQ switch is set to EQ2. If both ports are open and the amp is set to EQ1, that would make it vulnerable to actually bottoming out if driven hard enough.
I guess it could have been clipping. I have one port open but can't remember the eq setting. The sound was like a sharp this, if that makes sense. Either way, I just turned down the gain. No issues with the sub since- and I've adjusted the gain back up. Like I said, the amount of LFE information was crazy. Who knows though :rolleyes::p

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I guess it could have been clipping. I have one port open but can't remember the eq setting. The sound was like a sharp this, if that makes sense. Either way, I just turned down the gain. No issues with the sub since- and I've adjusted the gain back up. Like I said, the amount of LFE information was crazy. Who knows though :rolleyes::p
When the driver bottoms out, it sounds like a rapid hammering (which is what it is). Check this video out at around the 10 second mark. This is a hard bottom though, where the former has enough throw to hit the back plate of the motor. If the suspension doesn't allow that much movement, it will soft-bottom, where the suspension will hit the top plate or maybe just get stretched to its limit. The Hsu subs would probably do a hard bottom if pushed though.

Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
Here's a good one. I've listened to Grandaddy for many years and was recently exercising a re-powered sub with this tune... things start trying to kill your sub around 4:45.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Godzilla part 3 (animated) on Netflix. Around 42 minutes, there is an explosion. Feels like mid 20s to 30s, hits hard and then drops off a bit but is sustained for around 1 full minute or more. It is an interesting but odd series, not your typical Godzilla fare I think.
I checked this out and it's no joke. I'd say at least mid 20's if not even lower. I can see my subs moving from where I sit! I plugged a port and flipped to EQ 1 for full extension. There's a solid minute's worth of some really deep bass in that scene.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
To be honest, I wasn't really involved with home theater when those subs were out. I know of that model, but wasn't aware of it when it was available.
Down firing? Amazing finish on that sub wow !!!
How does it sound can down firing shorten a subs lifespan??
How much does rosewood edition cost ? Extra

Ultimate bass lover !! si ht15 dvc.
Free the reptile aliens

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

Free the reptile aliens
Down-firing doesn't necessarily shorten a sub's lifespan.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Free the reptile aliens
That sub is not available anymore, but they were beasts! Yes it is down firing and fwiw, many down firing drivers are made with different suspensions and structures to reduce sag over time.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
This one goes crazy deep. Sub 20 Hz in places!

*Edit: There's poop rattling in my house that I've never heard rattle before... :oops::D:cool:

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Think my sub goes under 20hz it can rattle whole unstairs with sub bass .
But it’s already obsolete the newer models far more powerful. How is the Dayton ultumax looks good ?
Are diy subs more power / dollar then most professional subs made like svs .
Wish I had a microphone to measure it .
Free the reptile aliens

Last edited:
NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Think my sub goes under 20hz it can rattle whole unstairs with sub bass .
But it’s already obsolete the newer models far more powerful. How is the Dayton ultumax looks good ?
Are diy subs more power / dollar then most professional subs made like svs .
Wish I had a microphone to measure it .
Free the reptile aliens
I don't remember exactly what you have, but in my old house the resonant frequency of most things, especially the windows was somewhere in the 30's. This is something that most decent subs are capable of and may be what you're experiencing.

The ultimax's are beasts. I built mine as money allowed while I was in school, first I bought the amp to power an old car audio 12" sub that I had sitting around which was worlds better than the def tech super cube 4000 I had before that. Once I had enough money I bought the Ultimax 18" kit from Dayton and built that. Then once money allowed again I bought a minidsp which allowed me to bring the UM-18 to a whole other level. It's a monster of a system and makes me giddy with the output.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Under power a sub and clipping will bottom it out. You will have no doubt about it, since it sounds like a sledge hammer hitting a steel pylon. This happened on several occasions fromc.jpg my JBL B380 powered by a 300 watt amp. After reconnecting the sub to a 560 watt amp, no more clipping.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis