William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Your chart looks a lot like mine. Same free bump at 15-16 hz and same dip (my dip is a little higher).
I definitely like the free bass around 16hz! I’m fact, I’ve almost been inspired by your experience with the HSU’s to buy some myself. For a really long time, my sights were set on a pair of fv15hp’s by rythmik. Then they dropped the 18’s. Damn!!!
However, after struggling to finish my Atmos upgrade, I’m thinking about a pair of HSU’s like yours instead. $$$
My PCs are great in their own right, but like you, I’m on concrete, sunken living room, vaulted ceiling, open concept...blah blah blah...
I need more subwoofage without being afraid of winding them up.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I definitely like the free bass around 16hz! I’m fact, I’ve almost been inspired by your experience with the HSU’s to buy some myself. For a really long time, my sights were set on a pair of fv15hp’s by rythmik. Then they dropped the 18’s. Damn!!!
However, after struggling to finish my Atmos upgrade, I’m thinking about a pair of HSU’s like yours instead. $$$
My PCs are great in their own right, but like you, I’m on concrete, sunken living room, vaulted ceiling, open concept...blah blah blah...
Well, you know my feelings about the Hsu's. They're legit. I don't think you'd be disappointed.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Build your own 18's! :-D

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Build your own 18's! :-D
I have definitely considered this. It’s still on the table, but my first order of business is finishing my Atmos install. It’s been painful slow to squirrel away for but it’s tax season, and I just made a deal at work that should help financially a great deal. And my PCs don’t suck either so the pain isn’t that unbearable lol. If you saw the graph, I have pretty good deep response.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
If you saw the graph, I have pretty good deep response.
I'd be quite happy with that response too. It's pretty close to what I'm getting from one UM-18 right now. My sweeps should be a lot flatter once I get my mini-dsp in later this week. I'm in an awkward 3000 cubic ft. basement space with sheetrock over concrete right now.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I'd be quite happy with that response too. It's pretty close to what I'm getting from one UM-18 right now. My sweeps should be a lot flatter once I get my mini-dsp in later this week. I'm in an awkward 3000 cubic ft. basement space with sheetrock over concrete right now.
IMO minidsp is your friend. That graph is with one. I ran Audyssey first and finished with REW and minidsp. Make sure you post your findings.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
IMO minidsp is your friend. That graph is with one. I ran Audyssey first and finished with REW and minidsp. Make sure you post your findings.

10-07 spl 1-12th smooth.jpg
*Showing off*

:p

That was my most recent one. I've replaced the monolith since then.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well, you know my feelings about the Hsu's. They're legit. I don't think you'd be disappointed.
Indeed I do. Like I said, your experience is one that keeps me thinking about buying them. Even in rosewood they’re less expensive than the rythmik. Orbit shifters wouldn’t hurt my feelings either lol. DIY isn’t out of the question either... I hate money sometimes

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I heard this tune at the end credits of a horror film that I just watched (Villmark Asylum if you are curious, but it's not an amazing movie), and the tune was the best thing about the movie. Fender Heist - Fighter feat. Froder, these artists are scandinavian, and I had not heard of them previously, and Froder has a slightly Bjork-like singing style. During the refrain of this sing, bass actually drops below 30 Hz, and it gives it a definite weight. I quite like this tune, and the music video is cool too.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Here is a classic D'n'B tune: Evol Intent - Deathrow. This one has a unique sound among D'n'B of the time, a twisted sound, and a slightly lower tempo than other drum'n'bass of that time, so it stands out. It's what I listen to when I am planning out my armed daylight bank heists. The tune is a mean sumf'bich and sounds best at loud levels with the subs running hot.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Here is something a bit crazy that will REALLY put the subwoofer to use: Perturbator - Tainted Empire. Somewhere between 80's retro-synthwave, industrial, and death metal is Perturbator. The bass here is absolutely ridiculous! Just check out the spectrogram.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Here is a chilled-out vaporwave tune with some very strong bass from the 20s to the 40s Hz band: Jade Statues - Phthalo Green. Very mellow tune and deliberately low-fi as with all vaporwave. This seems like a great tune to play in an opium den.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Here is some more dark retro-80s sub candy: Sonic Mayhem - Futureland (feat. Powerglove). This is the tune I will play when I am scouring the wasteland in my Cizeta-Moroder V16T looking to score some Nuke from one of the less hostile splatterpunk gangs which I will inject into my bionic arm that streamlines the drug directly into my central nervous system, after which I will hunt down the world's last remaining redhead for their scalp which fetches huge rewards from the globe-controlling demon-cult for a fortune that I will use to construct a vast brothel in the shape of a pyramid that will be staffed exclusively by the most exquisite and exotic sex-bots that science and art can conjure.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis