Subwoofer blown multiple times when connected to avr?

K

Krishas

Audioholic Intern
Ill check the clip again too. Just wanted to mention that if audyssey is setting the sub at -12, it’s initial level is too high. -12 is as low as audyssey can set a subwoofer signal, so you’ll want to be in the -5 to -7 range.
My hunch is that the issue is a combination of too high signal input, and too high subwoofer gain(volume knob). In any case I’m glad it seems to be working.
Still not sure whether the configuration is efficient or not. is it a good practice to modify the audyssey level to -5 to -7 for the subwoofer ?

K

Krishas

Audioholic Intern
Also, the new clip is from Unbroken. It’s a great soundtrack overall. But have you tested it with the “Amaze” demo? The rolling thunder sequence is deeper and more sustained. Iirc there are some later scenes that play deeper, but can’t recall off hand. Again, not to disparage you, but if you have the means, I would recommend a higher quality subwoofer. It seems you enjoy films with deep bass content, and if you ever get to experience them with a high quality, highly capable sub of deep frequencies you’ll be quite “Amazed”!
Ys, I checked the Atmos demo (Amaze) tat too works fine in this settings, maximum volume tried was -14db tho.
Regarding the Upgrade I went with SB1000 because its compact and less cost. But when i checked the SVS website they are suggesting SB3000 for my QA 3050i floor standing combination. But tat is out of my budget for a subwoofer. In India it will cost $2000+. Anyway i will get my SVS in 2 days and will check the difference with ported Bic America f12. :)
Also hope the rattling noise won't come again in BIC.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Still not sure whether the configuration is efficient or not. is it a good practice to modify the audyssey level to -5 to -7 for the subwoofer ?
Well this depends. Usually most of us will modify the audyssey settings to add more bass by 3-5db. But if your starting at -12, you don’t know how hot the sub is in the first place. If you can get audyssey to calibrate with a setting of even -10, then you’ll at least know it’s in the range. An spl meter can be valuable tool here to know where the sub is at in the first place.
When you run audyssey, doesn’t it have you set the subs volume to the green?

K

Krishas

Audioholic Intern
Well this depends. Usually most of us will modify the audyssey settings to add more bass by 3-5db. But if your starting at -12, you don’t know how hot the sub is in the first place. If you can get audyssey to calibrate with a setting of even -10, then you’ll at least know it’s in the range. An spl meter can be valuable tool here to know where the sub is at in the first place.
When you run audyssey, doesn’t it have you set the subs volume to the green?
While running Audyssey Sub volume was at 50%. that was wat recommended by the AVR.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
While running Audyssey Sub volume was at 50%. that was wat recommended by the AVR.
Well 50% is a common recommendation as a starting point.
But when you start the calibration the AVR has you adjust the level so the indicator is in the green. Did do that? Or just go with the 50% thing. There’s potentially a big difference, so that’s why I’m asking.

K

Krishas

Audioholic Intern
Well 50% is a common recommendation as a starting point.
But when you start the calibration the AVR has you adjust the level so the indicator is in the green. Did do that? Or just go with the 50% thing. There’s potentially a big difference, so that’s why I’m asking.
Ooh tats a new information for me, I never tried it. Tat seems good. I Will try tat.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Ooh tats a new information for me, I never tried it. Tat seems good. I Will try tat.
Interested in what you come up with. Since audyssey is at its limit at -12. There’s no way to know if it really wants to trim back even further. Like -14 or -20etc.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah the gain setting at half way for the sub is just a very general recommendation but sub amps vary quite a bit. For most of the commercial plate amp subs I've used, it's usually more in the 1/4 or 1/3 setting using Audyssey setup to get the sub in a good range (as long as the setting after Audyssey is better than -12dB, anywhere else in the negative range is usually fine unless the auto-on circuit of the sub won't work with it, but that doesn't seem an issue in your case since you had it set at -12 already).

Thanks for the update on your master volume being at -12 dB rather than 12 dB....HUGE difference to your speakers particularly :)

K

Krishas

Audioholic Intern
Interested in what you come up with. Since audyssey is at its limit at -12. There’s no way to know if it really wants to trim back even further. Like -14 or -20etc.
Yeah the gain setting at half way for the sub is just a very general recommendation but sub amps vary quite a bit. For most of the commercial plate amp subs I've used, it's usually more in the 1/4 or 1/3 setting using Audyssey setup to get the sub in a good range (as long as the setting after Audyssey is better than -12dB, anywhere else in the negative range is usually fine unless the auto-on circuit of the sub won't work with it, but that doesn't seem an issue in your case since you had it set at -12 already).

Thanks for the update on your master volume being at -12 dB rather than 12 dB....HUGE difference to your speakers particularly :)

Hi, did it finally after couple or iteration in Audyssey, got a -7.5db subwoofer level when the sub volume at 25% :)
I have taken a video specifically for subwoofer performance to just give an idea, We wont get the actual sound affects if recorded tho,

Thanks for the support. :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Nice work. How diy you feel about the performance now?
Gotta add one thing though. That center channel is driving me crazy. I would have to move that for two reasons. Get it out of the cubby(acoustic issues), and up closer to the screen.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Good job! Gotta' agree with that center channel suggestion. Closer to the screen and more inline with the R/L speakers will be an improvement. But, is that a projector on that top shelf? What is that thing?

K

Krishas

Audioholic Intern
Nice work. How diy you feel about the performance now?
Gotta add one thing though. That center channel is driving me crazy. I would have to move that for two reasons. Get it out of the cubby(acoustic issues), and up closer to the screen.
Good job! Gotta' agree with that center channel suggestion. Closer to the screen and more inline with the R/L speakers will be an improvement. But, is that a projector on that top shelf? What is that thing?
Hey thank you, the performance is far better and more controlled. :)
Actually me too noticed that center channel issue I'm missing some portion of the dialog clarity a bit when it comes to the base level, I thought the issue was with the monitor bronze and changed with Polk LSIM 704c (3 way) for better dialog delivery (its a discontinued product got it for offer) will receive it tomorrow, even though i bought the monitor 2 weeks back.:(
I know there is problem with the position of the center but I can't keep the center channel near the screen because as Trebdp83 asked it is the projector which kept just above and there is no enough space for a speaker to place between the wall and the projector because its a UST projector projecting upwards as u know.
That's why I oped a sealed center and kept the same near the front of the shelf (inside) but again the same is not firing to the ear position.:(
Will try using a stand and keep it just out side the box, hope that will make some difference also the LSIM upgrade.

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
You can try some wedges under the front of the center channel speaker to aim the sound toward ear level. You could leave it where it is if you do it that way. Moving it out and forward of the other speakers may bring on more issues.

K

Krishas

Audioholic Intern
You can try some wedges under the front of the center channel speaker to aim the sound toward ear level. You could leave it where it is if you do it that way. Moving it out and forward of the other speakers may bring on more issues.
Well, tat I tried already with small rubber bush. Let me check with the polk too.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis