Subwoofer blown multiple times when connected to avr?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Did you first hear it on that demo? Like I said. That section is very powerful. The bic is not.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Is the location of the subwoofer in the video it’s normal location? The bass may have seemed low because of the location of the subwoofer. Turning it way up would not help it. Was it once in a corner before you purchased the 3050i’s?

K

Krishas

Audioholic Intern
Easy. Playing it too loud with too low bass is one way for sure. As tlsguy said, it’s f3 is 25hz. If your watching a film that has content below 20hz like hacksaw ridge(just an example) it’s easy to destroy a sub. Especially one that probably does have much protection.
So Bic America subwoofer doesn’t have such protections, everyone may not be knowing these technical things rit ?
I’m changing it to SVS SB1000 does it make any change or give any protection?

K

Krishas

Audioholic Intern
Did you first hear it on that demo? Like I said. That section is very powerful. The bic is not.
But I was using this sub for more than 2 year. Wat changed was room setup, a 6 months back, to enother place where im sitting 3 meter near to the speakers old was too long like 5-6 meter away from the front channel including sub. Tats the only difference and i used to watch this atmos demo usually

Last edited:
K

Krishas

Audioholic Intern
Is the location of the subwoofer in the video it’s normal location? The bass may have seemed low because of the location of the subwoofer. Turning it way up would not help it. Was it once in a corner before you purchased the 3050i’s?
The old location was at very similar position not at a corner. But was at ground floor and now at 1st floor just above the same old place.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
So Bic America subwoofer doesn’t have such protections, everyone may not be knowing these technical things rit ?
I’m changing it to SVS SB1000 does it make any change or give any protection?
But I was using this sub for more than 2 year. Wat changed was room setup, a 6 months back, to enother place where im sitting 3 meter near to the speakers old was too long like 5-6 meter away from the front channel including sub. Tats the only difference and i used to watch this atmos demo usually
I don’t know for certain what Bic does. Seems like it’s an old analog amp platform that uses simple resistors on the board to do the subsonic filtering. Not sure...
SVS on the other hand uses pretty aggressive DSP/limiters to protect the driver always. I’m afraid the sb1000 won’t be much of an upgrade. Sealed subs just don’t have a lot of output below about 30hz. So I’d recommend at least a pb1000. It will have better output than the BIC or the sealed SB. I wish I could help figure out what happened to the bic, but there are just too many variables. I’m sorry, but I believe it’s shot.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The video sounds more like a clipped signal than a destroyed driver. I wonder if the input signal is too hot for the sub. Try turning the LFE level down and the sub's gain knob up. But yeah, you are probably expecting too much from that subwoofer.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The video sounds more like a clipped signal than a destroyed driver. I wonder if the input signal is too hot for the sub. Try turning the LFE level down and the sub's gain knob up. But yeah, you are probably expecting too much from that subwoofer.
Hey shady, I wonder. Have you tried the “Amaze” demo? I’m just wondering, as I’ve accidentally run that with my subs 10db hotter than normal(-15 MV) when farting around with my minidsp. So basically the lfe signal was super hot, but I’ve never heard that sound from my subs.
The section in question doesn’t last that long, but it shakes everything and is very clean.
Anyway, just wondering. And dropping a suggestion. I think you’d like it.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Every room has different acoustic properties. What you describe, as best I understand, is a complete disaster. Forgive. Not trying to harsh on you!
When you activate the subwoofer level adjust, it overrides the Audyssey calibration. If Aud had your sub calibrated at -7, you effectively doubled the signal being set to the sub 3x over! (Just an example since we don’t know.)
That BIC has serviced your sub is amazing. Other companies would void your warranty! Which, frankly, it seems you actively chose to do.

My guess, as has been touched on, is that your Sub is in a bad location in your room. Acoustically, it is a null. You need to do several things to help yourself.

First, how big is your room? Total volume of open space! This is important.

Second, a pb 1000, though a good Sub, might not be right for your room. (See question 1.)

You should try finding a good home for your Sub by using the subwoofer crawl.
Then, run Audyssey.
If your sub needs to be tweaked, use only the Sub Level Trim, and do not override Audyssey using Subwoofer Level Adjust...
...until you learn and understand what you are doing.

Regardless of all that I just said:
Answer the question I posed about your room size. If you are trying to fill a large space with an underpowered Sub, you will be caught in a cycle of Wash, Rinse, Repeat until some smart CS rep or Repair Tech voids your warranty!
That will get expensive real fast.

Just a simple truth.

Best,
R

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hey shady, I wonder. Have you tried the “Amaze” demo? I’m just wondering, as I’ve accidentally run that with my subs 10db hotter than normal(-15 MV) when farting around with my minidsp. So basically the lfe signal was super hot, but I’ve never heard that sound from my subs.
The section in question doesn’t last that long, but it shakes everything and is very clean.
Anyway, just wondering. And dropping a suggestion. I think you’d like it.
I believe I have heard that demo. Subwoofers will handle input clipping differently, and it depends on the amplifier. The BIC sub is bound to not have the most sophisticated circuitry to handle clipping. It could be something in the sub's amp getting over-driven as well. The errant sound that sub is making doesn't sound like a mechanical noise to me, it sounds like the woofer is simply trying to reproduce a signal. I could be wrong, of course. There are ways to determine what is causing that signal, but I just don't have time to walk the OP through those steps aside from telling him to turn the input signal down to see what happens.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Floorstanding: q acoustic 3050i
Monitor bronze center
Elac atmos
Boston acoustic a25 surround

i feel the base was low, even after the calibration. Tats why increased sub volume.

but im wondering why a small change in avr blown the sub but other speakers r not
Because subs are the easiest to blow by excessive excursion. You should not have raised the sub level. I find that Audyssey, which I don't particularly care for, does actually do a very good job of leveling speakers. Remember every time you raise the level by 3db you double the power to that speaker.

Subs are easily blown. If you want a sub especially that you can abuse, then you need a much bigger budget. It seems clear to me you are not using your system sensibly, or responsibly. If I were BIC I would charge you for a replacement.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I believe I have heard that demo. Subwoofers will handle input clipping differently, and it depends on the amplifier. The BIC sub is bound to not have the most sophisticated circuitry to handle clipping. It could be something in the sub's amp getting over-driven as well. The errant sound that sub is making doesn't sound like a mechanical noise to me, it sounds like the woofer is simply trying to reproduce a signal. I could be wrong, of course. There are ways to determine what is causing that signal, but I just don't have time to walk the OP through those steps aside from telling him to turn the input signal down to see what happens.
I hear that. Busy times!!!
I only listened on my phone to his clip(no pun lol), but it kinda sounded mechanical to me. I can definitely agree that it could easily be the input.
Be so much easier just to stop in for a visit and see what’s going on. Pretty sure that’s not gonna work...lol

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Because subs are the easiest to blow by excessive excursion. You should not have raised the sub level. I find that Audyssey, which I don't particularly care for, does actually do a very good job of leveling speakers. Remember every time you raise the level by 3db you double the power to that speaker.

Subs are easily blown. If you want a sub especially that you can abuse, then you need a much bigger budget. It seems clear to me you are not using your system sensibly, or responsibly. If I were BIC I would charge you for a replacement.
One caveat I would add to the statement that subs are easily blow by over-excursion is that cheap subs or poorly designed are easily blown by over-excursion. A sub with good limiters and a well-build driver is heavily protected against that kind of abuse, but those kinds of subs occupy a higher price point than the OP's sub. Those subs just do not bottom out. I wouldn't expect that kind of bulletproof quality of a $200 sub though.

K

Krishas

Audioholic Intern
I don’t know for certain what Bic does. Seems like it’s an old analog amp platform that uses simple resistors on the board to do the subsonic filtering. Not sure...
SVS on the other hand uses pretty aggressive DSP/limiters to protect the driver always. I’m afraid the sb1000 won’t be much of an upgrade. Sealed subs just don’t have a lot of output below about 30hz. So I’d recommend at least a pb1000. It will have better output than the BIC or the sealed SB. I wish I could help figure out what happened to the bic, but there are just too many variables. I’m sorry, but I believe it’s shot.
Okey, thank you for your support

K

Krishas

Audioholic Intern
so u mean its not blown and may be the input signal problem ? I will definitely check by reducing the LFE level. thank you. :)

K

Krishas

Audioholic Intern
Every room has different acoustic properties. What you describe, as best I understand, is a complete disaster. Forgive. Not trying to harsh on you!
When you activate the subwoofer level adjust, it overrides the Audyssey calibration. If Aud had your sub calibrated at -7, you effectively doubled the signal being set to the sub 3x over! (Just an example since we don’t know.)
That BIC has serviced your sub is amazing. Other companies would void your warranty! Which, frankly, it seems you actively chose to do.

My guess, as has been touched on, is that your Sub is in a bad location in your room. Acoustically, it is a null. You need to do several things to help yourself.

First, how big is your room? Total volume of open space! This is important.

Second, a pb 1000, though a good Sub, might not be right for your room. (See question 1.)

You should try finding a good home for your Sub by using the subwoofer crawl.
Then, run Audyssey.
If your sub needs to be tweaked, use only the Sub Level Trim, and do not override Audyssey using Subwoofer Level Adjust...
...until you learn and understand what you are doing.

Regardless of all that I just said:
Answer the question I posed about your room size. If you are trying to fill a large space with an underpowered Sub, you will be caught in a cycle of Wash, Rinse, Repeat until some smart CS rep or Repair Tech voids your warranty!
That will get expensive real fast.

Just a simple truth.

Best,
R
so
Why on earth would you run Audyssey with the sub off? 12dB is quite loud, that may be it right there.
sorry my bad its -12db not 12db

K

Krishas

Audioholic Intern
As Shady J suggested i made the sub level down by just puting the ‘Subwoofer Level Adjust’ OFF (when i put it on the level by default is at 0db not the level that the audyssey calibrated. That seems to be a bug for me ) the actual calibrated sub level was -12db .
Attched the levels by audyssey. And the Subwoofer Level Adjust option on my denon avr x2400h.

The good thing is now the sub works normally

Does it means the subwoofer is not blown and the issue was a temporary related to the high input ?

Please have a look at the clip, I played it at -14db on avr also the levels attached, and subwoofer volume at 50%. Im afraid to increase the volume tho, it feels good. (recorded by iPhone XS max)

Thank you Shady for the tip. Thanks a lot everyone for the support.

Attachments

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Ill check the clip again too. Just wanted to mention that if audyssey is setting the sub at -12, it’s initial level is too high. -12 is as low as audyssey can set a subwoofer signal, so you’ll want to be in the -5 to -7 range.
My hunch is that the issue is a combination of too high signal input, and too high subwoofer gain(volume knob). In any case I’m glad it seems to be working.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Also, the new clip is from Unbroken. It’s a great soundtrack overall. But have you tested it with the “Amaze” demo? The rolling thunder sequence is deeper and more sustained. Iirc there are some later scenes that play deeper, but can’t recall off hand. Again, not to disparage you, but if you have the means, I would recommend a higher quality subwoofer. It seems you enjoy films with deep bass content, and if you ever get to experience them with a high quality, highly capable sub of deep frequencies you’ll be quite “Amazed”!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis