Subwoofer blown multiple times when connected to avr?

K

Krishas

Audioholic Intern
Why is my active subwoofer (Bic America F12) producing abnormal sound even after replacing with a new one (brand new). The new one worked for 5 mins and after that it started producing the same rattling sound?
i used the same for 2 years without issue. All of a sudden it started showing this rattling sound at some frequencies then I talk with the service center they replaced the amp with mew one first but when i played, it again showed the same problm. At last got a new replacement but no luck.
How can I troubleshoot the issue. What makes my subwoofer faulty?
Is it a power problem ( electric)

My avr: is Denon x2400h.
Cable: amazon basic subwoofer cable (used for 2 years)

Please find the issue recorded in the following link

please help Im frustrated and didn’t understand the problem.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Are you running it super hot that sub isn’t super capable and sounds like the driver is being overdriven. Why now? Not sure, but Ime once a driver started making bad sounds, it’s toast.
Easy. New sub!!!!!

K

Krishas

Audioholic Intern
From sub pre-out 1 or 2 on Denon?
Pre out 1 only, after getting the noise i checked with pre out 2 also to verify if the issues is with the sub only. (Both port has the problm)

K

Krishas

Audioholic Intern
Are you running it super hot that sub isn’t super capable and sounds like the driver is being overdriven. Why now? Not sure, but Ime once a driver started making bad sounds, it’s toast.
Easy. New sub!!!!!
How can i over drive it because its on the pre out and the power control is with the subwoofer
Also the volume on the sub was set to 50%

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
May not have been an amp issue at all but rather a driver issue. Even on my laptop speakers it doesn't sound good. I'd probably try a different cable for the heck of it, to just rule it out if anything. You could be over driving it, the gain being on 50% isn't very meaningful, that would depend on the level of your signal and pre-out. Did you run Audyssey to calibrate it? Do you boost level or apply eq? How loud do you listen?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Why is my active subwoofer (Bic America F12) producing abnormal sound even after replacing with a new one (brand new). The new one worked for 5 mins and after that it started producing the same rattling sound?
i used the same for 2 years without issue. All of a sudden it started showing this rattling sound at some frequencies then I talk with the service center they replaced the amp with mew one first but when i played, it again showed the same problm. At last got a new replacement but no luck.
How can I troubleshoot the issue. What makes my subwoofer faulty?
Is it a power problem ( electric)

My avr: is Denon x2400h.
Cable: amazon basic subwoofer cable (used for 2 years)

Please find the issue recorded in the following link
The driver is being over driven and damaged.

So, has a setting got changed were the volume to the sub has been increased? Have you recently been playing program that has a lot more content below 25 Hz?

I note your sub has an F3 of 25 Hz. Ported speakers decouple from the box below F3, and this results in useless and damaging over excursion of drivers.

In recent times there has been a lot more material produced with a lot of demand for output below 25 Hz.

Also people tend to drive subs far too "hot".

So your options are to turn your sub down, place a high pass filter 12db at 25 Hz between your receiver and sub, or buy a bigger more potent sub or even two of them.

I would look carefully at your calibration first. I find most people seem to drive their subs at ridiculous levels and the sound is very unbalanced.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Sounds blown. 50% can be harmful depending on various other settings in the receiver as others have mentioned. So, were any changes made in your settings just before the first one went out?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
How can i over drive it because its on the pre out and the power control is with the subwoofer
Also the volume on the sub was set to 50%
Easy. Playing it too loud with too low bass is one way for sure. As tlsguy said, it’s f3 is 25hz. If your watching a film that has content below 20hz like hacksaw ridge(just an example) it’s easy to destroy a sub. Especially one that probably does have much protection.

K

Krishas

Audioholic Intern
May not have been an amp issue at all but rather a driver issue. Even on my laptop speakers it doesn't sound good. I'd probably try a different cable for the heck of it, to just rule it out if anything. You could be over driving it, the gain being on 50% isn't very meaningful, that would depend on the level of your signal and pre-out. Did you run Audyssey to calibrate it? Do you boost level or apply eq? How loud do you listen?
Ys i did audyssey. Then i change the settings subwoofer level to ON (it was off) and change the default 0db to 1db.
also I listen at -12db max (-80 db - +18 db)

(not 12 db it was -12db my bad)

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yep. I recognize that clip. It’s the “Amaze” demo from Dolby. That thunder clap that rolls after is very powerful. It can destroy an entry level sub. Pretty sure that’s what happened.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ys i did audyssey. Then i change the settings subwoofer level to ON (it was off) and change the default 0db to 1db.
also I listen at 12db max (-80 db - +18 db)
Why on earth would you run Audyssey with the sub off? 12dB is quite loud, that may be it right there.

K

Krishas

Audioholic Intern
I used to watch holliwood movies which may have <25hz. But regarding the settings im confused, the subwoofer volume control was off i put tat on and changed the 0db to 1db . Tat too now only not for the old one.
so can I confirm its a drive issue not amp related?
Because im also worried about if its an electrical problm, i will get a new svs sb1000 probably this week so need to confirm the actual cause before connecting the same.
Very sad to here its blown only replacement is the solution now for Bic America rit ?
The driver is being over driven and damaged.

So, has a setting got changed were the volume to the sub has been increased? Have you recently been playing program that has a lot more content below 25 Hz?

I note your sub has an F3 of 25 Hz. Ported speakers decouple from the box below F3, and this results in useless and damaging over excursion of drivers.

In recent times there has been a lot more material produced with a lot of demand for output below 25 Hz.

Also people tend to drive subs far too "hot".

So your options are to turn your sub down, place a high pass filter 12db at 25 Hz between your receiver and sub, or buy a bigger more potent sub or even two of them.

I would look carefully at your calibration first. I find most people seem to drive their subs at ridiculous levels and the sound is very unbalanced.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Why so high? What kind of speakers are you using for the other channels?

K

Krishas

Audioholic Intern
No the sub was on while calibration. I was saying about other settings in avr for subwoofer volume.
Why on earth would you run Audyssey with the sub off? 12dB is quite loud, that may be it right there.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No the sub was on while calibration. I was saying about other settings in avr for subwoofer volume.
I'm confused as to what was off or on. What do you mean by "other settings"? Does your version of Audyssey have you first calibrate the sub to a level of 75dB before starting the rest of the Audyssey setup? After Audyssey it just happened to set your sub trim to a level of 0?

A playback level of 12dB using the reference scale is very loud, tho.

K

Krishas

Audioholic Intern
Why so high? What kind of speakers are you using for the other channels?
Floorstanding: q acoustic 3050i
Monitor bronze center
Elac atmos
Boston acoustic a25 surround

i feel the base was low, even after the calibration. Tats why increased sub volume.

but im wondering why a small change in avr blown the sub but other speakers r not

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis