Submit Your Tip of the Day

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Music is sour of life to many. You can enjoy the latest audio system while you gym inside your bedroom of when you relax on weekends. But this all is too difficult if you don't support your system with expert audio installation services. Contact the most trusted and genuine services in market.
Not all, in fact few, can afford that on top of buying the equipment. Furthermore, this very forum is and always has been among the best for learning how to do it yourself and how to troubleshoot it if something isn't quite right.

Lastly, it's getting harder to find qualified installers today. Few trade organizations in this passion have training and certification, if any.

E

Erod

Audioholic
A tip from a newbie on this site.

I simply don't buy first generation models of anything right out of the gate. While I very much appreciate the early adopters and their efforts, I have no interest in the time and frustration of serving as a non-compensated beta tester for these AV manufacturers.

I bought the JVC rs620 because I didn't want the trials and tribulations of the rs600. I'm waiting the same on these new JVC 4K projectors that are having all sorts of early issues, not to mention lesser black levels than what I have.

By the time I bought my prized Anthem AVM60, the gremlins were long worked out. It was zero maintenance when I bought mine. I won't buy the follow up to this preamp until the kinks are worked through and HDMI 2.1 actually means something in the real world. Blu rays are still 24p, the NFL is still broadcast in 1080i, and streaming is still woefully behind a standard 1080p blu ray, so why do I need HDMI 2.1?

I've learned to love what I have longer.

T

Tate10

Audiophyte
Don't forget about your network. Often overlooked. In today's day in age almost all equipment is going on the network. If you are using an all in one cable/modem router from your ISP ditch that for your own separate modem with router, mesh or access points. The proper setup will assure you are getting the speeds you pay for over WiFi. Plus owning your own modem will likely save $10-$15 month in leasing fees.

sleepysurf

sleepysurf

Junior Audioholic
If you have a Ground Loop Hum in a combined A/V setup, the video coax is typically the source, and can usually be eliminated using a Coax Ground Loop Isolator (such as this one from Jensen). However, if you are using a large multi-port coax splitter upstream (i.e. a 6-port or 8-port, for multiple household TV’s),the combined signal attenuation from that single splitter PLUS a ground loop isolator, might be sufficient to block some TV channels. One solution (short of using a coax signal amplifier) is to use TWO coax splitters in series, with the FIRST being a 2-way splitter feeding the A/V setup needing the Ground Loop Isolator, and the SECOND splitter for the remaining TV’s (assuming they are not part of a full A/V system, thus no ground loop issues). The reason this works is that the FIRST 2-way splitter reduces signal strength by ~3.5 db, (~50% signal loss),which is still usually sufficient, even with the Ground Loop Isolator, for all digital and analog channels. The SECOND coax splitter “halves” the signal yet again for all subsequent TV’s, but even that (~75%) net signal reduction is likely still sufficient for all channels, as long as no Ground Loop Isolator, or further splits, are inserted downstream. The SECOND splitter should have the least number of ports necessary, and if any of the ports are unused, they should be capped with a 75 Ohm terminator (such as these). Here’s a picture of the configuration.
I struggled with a Ground Loop Hum for years, which Frontier Service Techs couldn't resolve (they re-grounded, and even replaced ONT box, and replaced the 8-port splitter, all while assuring me I had sufficient signal).

Splitters.jpg

Last edited:
MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
I "repurposed" this item from storing CD's to another use:

IMG_2180.JPG

Now those pesky short cables are easier to find.

IMG_2181.JPG

PerVirtuous

PerVirtuous

Enthusiast
If you are finding, like me, that there is too much competition on ebay and Goodwill, there's good news! Facebook Marketplace is a bonanza of great audiophile deals. I found a Yamaha and Denon 7.1 receivers for less than $100 each. Because nobody wants to ship things, you only have local competition. Set the limit for the radius around you you want to check out. You can do queries and everything. Besides the two receivers I have purchased JBL, Boston Acoustic and Pioneer speakers. I just got a Clarion head for my car that retails at $400 for $23.00. It seems to me to be the audiophile's dream store. Happy shopping!

Attachments

B

BT1650

Audiophyte
I was always looking for a better way to angle my center channel and I found it under my desk. I pulled out my Amazon under desk footrest, put my center channel on it and it was perfect. The footrest gave the center a bit of rise and I can angle it any way that I want.

Attachments

Grassy

Grassy

Full Audioholic
"Don't Place Your Equipment In An Oven".I was at a friends house, and noticed his home theatre rack and complimented him on his taste in equipment, but it ended there.I noticed all his equipment(off good quality)was placed in a cabinet with no more than an inch of air flow all round.My guess was he placed it there because it looked good. This is the beginning of the end.The foundation has been cracked.Heat and dust are two of the biggest enemies in Home Theatre. Having that in mind before buying can lead to insurance that costs you nothing.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
A swiffer wand is a great way to knock the dust off high gloss speakers without scratching them. Swiffers work on dusty cloth grilles too!

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
A swiffer wand is a great way to knock the dust off high gloss speakers without scratching them. Swiffers work on dusty cloth grilles too!
Agreed - I have 2 of them in different lengths.

Z

zrxmike

Enthusiast
If you are finding, like me, that there is too much competition on ebay and Goodwill, there's good news! Facebook Marketplace is a bonanza of great audiophile deals. I found a Yamaha and Denon 7.1 receivers for less than $100 each. Because nobody wants to ship things, you only have local competition. Set the limit for the radius around you you want to check out. You can do queries and everything. Besides the two receivers I have purchased JBL, Boston Acoustic and Pioneer speakers. I just got a Clarion head for my car that retails at $400 for $23.00. It seems to me to be the audiophile's dream store. Happy shopping!
Like you, I have bought lots of stuff used and saved a load of money. Picked up my Paradigm Studio 100s in perfect shape for $750 bucks. Also only paid 600 bucks for a set of Studio 40s with the stands and a Paradigm center channel.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
My tip of the day...
Run. RUN away from any electronics. Use tv speakers, and headphones. Save money time headache wife troubles etc. if you see an audio rabbit hole, fill that bitch in, and GTFO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Audiosaur

Audiosaur

Audioholic
My tip of the day...
Run. RUN away from any electronics. Use tv speakers, and headphones. Save money time headache wife troubles etc. if you see an audio rabbit hole, fill that bitch in, and GTFO!!!!!!!!!!!!
I sense regrets. Nothing a new pair of speakers can't solve.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I sense regrets. Nothing a new pair of speakers can't solve.
Haha! Nope. Definitely not from me. I have been doing this a long time, and still love it. Maybe a little frustrated with my current station is all.
Just wanted to make it known for noobs that once you even PEEK into the rabbit hole, better buckle up.
And yes. A new pair of speakers would probably solve most of my problems. Lol

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
Tip of the day:
If you are poor, buy CHINESE HI-FI. If you do your homework and figure out what to get, it can compete with stuff coming out of Europe at approximately 1/10th to 1/2 the cost. But, if you are consumed by patriotic fervor and brand name snobbery, you wouldn't do that (of course).

Personally, i hate to pay the premium to a low aptitude lazy/greedy/rotund fker who doesn't have the aptitude or capability to manufacture anything by himself, sources everything from China for cheap and adds a 1000% markup.

If you are an engineer, you would know by now that you can design anything on paper and feel all high and mighty. But, just try fab'ing it! (that's when you realize how stupid you actually are and lose your shirt, don't ya? Wink wink)

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Take some time and shop around. If you are looking for a smaller subwoofer for a computer audio setup try AC4L (Accessories 4 Less). They have a 're-certified' KEF Kube 300w 8" sub for 399.

M

Methodical

Audioholic
Don't be the first to drink the Koolaid when it comes to all of this new technology. Let it settle down a bit and get the bugs worked out.

Last edited:
MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

If you have carpeted floors, or a piece of carpet remnant or other soft material, flip the subwoofer on it's flat side to move it into position during the "subwoofer crawl" , makes it easier if it's a heavy sub.

IMG_2835.JPG

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Avoid trying to sell your gear over FB. You'll inevitably get trolled by "grand master connoisseur" who "knows" so much and "understands" why Yamaha is, in fact, mid-fi and shouldn't hold price second hand. He has his Wadia-wet-dreams and no one will ever convince him otherwise.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis